Player Discussion Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think this was inevitable back in December lol. He would have come back if we were in the playoff race, but we're not, so keep him out and get him healthy and aid the tank for the rest of the way.

EDIT: this dude was playing with a torn tendon in his foot? jeez

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Great, now MB will use this as an excuse like he did with Price.

“It’s hard to win without your #1D.”
I can hear it now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What was the foot problem that Forsberg had that pretty much ended his career?

He had an abnormal arch in his foot. It caused bursa sac's in the foot that needed to be removed. It was more something he was born with and developed, not so much something an injury caused.

I think this could be a less severe version of what Dave Bolland dealt with.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Shut down Price as well. :) I don't want him maybe stealing any games down the stretch for this team. He's hasn't been doing it so far this season but he can still possibly go on a little streak yet and we really don't need that happening right now. Just tell everyone he's fatigued and having headaches and send him home. :)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
And I'm saying that while suspect that Nashville wont be forced to tear down their roster as part of a cap recapture, the situations are different since cap recapture is not a punishment. Its a part of the CBA and is governed differently.

Calling it punishment is a matter of semantics. I'm sure there must be provisions for adjustments in special circumstances. I'll stick with my opinion the fact that Nashville did not instigate the contract and was forced by the offer sheet provision to match the Flyers contract offer exactly, will provide them some latitude should Weber retire early.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Blaming teams for pursuing Free Agents is weird.

That’s not the contract structure Nashville would’ve wanted and he was still an RFA. How many other examples can you find where another team came in as aggressive as that on an offersheet? There’s been a few that have been pricey but none have come close to that.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Blaming teams for pursuing Free Agents is weird.
Maybe but that contract was one of the main things wrong with the NHL contract structure and why the loopholes had to be closed.

As for him being out the rest of the year, its a fitting end to a terrible season, one of the worst I've witnessed.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
They did not have to match it if they didn't want to.
This was the bind they were in, though:

Match the offer = potentially deplete the franchise of cash or have to go into debt to pay Weber (nobody knew for certain at the time if the Predators could absorb the massive signing bonus attached)

Decline to match the offer = lose two top-pairing D in short order, a potentially fatal blow for the franchise both on the ice and off. Fans could have abandoned the team in droves after such a fate.

They had no good option, and Weber certainly didn't help matters by signing that sheet. He was looking to get paid in true mercenary fashion (some CHaracter, huh Marc?).

I think it would petty of the league to insist on full recapture penalties applied to the Predators given the unique circumstances around that contract, after they already swallowed the poison pill of the big initial cashflow.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Calling it punishment is a matter of semantics. I'm sure there must be provisions for adjustments in special circumstances. I'll stick with my opinion the fact that Nashville did not instigate the contract and was forced by the offer sheet provision to match the Flyers contract offer exactly, will provide them some latitude should Weber retire early.

Its not semantics because we're talking about which entities are required to sign off on decisions. The "punishment" where New Jersey lost draft picks was a ruling made by the Commissioner as a disciplinary action. He had full say to reduce or overturn the "punishment". It was all under his power.

The Cap Advantage Recapture "punishment" is a part of the CBA. The Commissioner does not have unilateral power there. And there are legitimate risks to ignoring the CBA.

Perhaps it will be changed (or offered an exception in the new CBA). But I'm skeptical about that.

At any rate, Bettman reducing his punishment is not the comparable to ignoring provisions in the CBA.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
That’s not the contract structure Nashville would’ve wanted and he was still an RFA. How many other examples can you find where another team came in as aggressive as that on an offersheet? There’s been a few that have been pricey but none have come close to that.

What does RFA stand for? He was a Restricted Free Agent. He was well within his rights to sign a contract, which he did. Philadelphia was well within their rights to offer him a contract.

Why does it matter that other teams have been hesitant to use offer sheets? He was a Free Agent and Nashville had the right to match. They exercised that right.

Few players of Weber's caliber and age have been RFA's too.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I'm glad for Weber's sake that they shut him down and gave him a chance to get healthy. A healthy Shea Weber
is a good thing for this team, so hopefully a speedy recovery.

Secondly, I hope this knocks whatever fight was left in Purple Pants and he finally concedes the season.

SinfulReasonableHyracotherium-size_restricted.gif

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Maybe but that contract was one of the main things wrong with the NHL contract structure and why the loopholes had to be closed.

As for him being out the rest of the year, its a fitting end to a terrible season, one of the worst I've witnessed.

It was far from the worst. And considering it was signed after the end of the previous CBA (but before the new one) and Kovalchuk's, I doubt that Nashville didn't know there was a chance that cap recapture may have been an issue. The NHL was telegraphing pretty hard that they wanted it in the new CBA.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
He's going to miss months of next season too?!

The medical and training staff needs to be included in the management purge when this regime finally topples. Between this, Carey Price this year, and Carey Price in 2015/16 they're hugely negligent.
The only people who should keep their jobs after a total purge are Susan and Claudine.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad