Shea Weber appreciation thread

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
you guys wont miss weber. trust me.

Subban is pure gold.

I've been missing him already. Will not seem like I am watching the Nashville Predators that I have been watching for years. No more announcements of "The Captain" by PA Paul McCann. No more Angry Hulk Mode Shea. No more cannon blasts (seriously, Weber has stunned more than one goalie and countless other players).... and the list goes on.

Avalanche players take cover:

Weber kills Kari Lehtonen with blast

Gonna miss plays like this as well.

Yes he will be missed.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I love Shea and will follow him in Montreal but I firmly believe that once the nostalgia wears off and PK is an established member of our D corps, we won't care all that much.

That kind of goes against the narrative of this thread but still.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I think we'll care and he'll always be "ours" but it'll be like seeing Vokoun in a Panthers or a Pittsburgh jersey or Hartnell or Fiddler in theirs. He's our opponent for the game but before and after he's a former Pred.

$ome people didn't earn that admiration though.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think we'll care and he'll always be "ours" but it'll be like seeing Vokoun in a Panthers or a Pittsburgh jersey or Hartnell or Fiddler in theirs. He's our opponent for the game but before and after he's a former Pred.

I firmly believe that Weber's offer $heet signing is what kept him from retiring here.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue

BWHAAA...I immediately got this and loved this, Adz !!! I can't remember if someone here or FB suggested that SHEA receive the reverse treatment as what's his name - with every touch of the puck by Mr. Weber on January 3rd, a continuous cheer.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I firmly believe that Weber's offer $heet signing is what kept him from retiring here.

Maybe. He's a good guy, but that contract was strangling the organization. DP had to wait for the perfect time and the perfect trade and he got it. I think he'd have been content to ride it out but so far as "business decisions" go, I think he was going to give Shea the same consideration he gave the Predators, i.e. the deal comes first.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Maybe. He's a good guy, but that contract was strangling the organization. DP had to wait for the perfect time and the perfect trade and he got it. I think he'd have been content to ride it out but so far as "business decisions" go, I think he was going to give Shea the same consideration he gave the Predators, i.e. the deal comes first.
Agreed, when Poile thought he could get what he called the most dynamic/best d-man in the league for Weber it was a no brainer. Poile truly believes the Preds are better today because of the trade.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Hey Preds fans.

Hab fan here. I was just wondering if the rumblings of Weber being on the decline are true.

If PK's allowed to play his freewheeling style of offensive play you're going to love him. He kind of got away from that in the past few years but he still grew as a complete D man.

Besides the turnovers and the bad penalties (he's been pretty good with taking less of those) there's really not much he doesn't do well. He's very good defensively. One weird thing is he isn't quite as fast as he was 3 years ago. He still moves very well but I think his explosiveness and speed were far more close to being elite a few years ago.

He also used to throw some pretty great hits but that stopped too. He used to be far more exciting but a lot of that could very well have been our coaching staff and management's fault.

All that being said, he's a fantastic D man and if he plays with somebody steady and mobile that gives him freedom in the offensive zone he'll be stunning. So much creativity.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I agree with the trade, better for the Preds in the long run.

But I think for at least half a season we are going to miss Weber much more than people think. First, his shot, but much more his physical, enforcer play. I think Josi is going to have a much harder time now because even with Subban the focus is on him.

I am not pretending to be some insider guy, but I heard a guy who worked in media tell me a story years ago there is a Preds emblem in the middle of the locker room. He said one time he was wasn't aware he was standing on it, Shea was in the middle of an interview with someone else, politely but very firmly he let him know "Off the emblem, please."

The Titans releasing McNair closed that era, and this is the close of the Trotz "our plucky underachievers" era to me.

For the first time in about a decade I am glad the team finally seems ready to truly compete again.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree with the trade, better for the Preds in the long run.

But I think for at least half a season we are going to miss Weber much more than people think. First, his shot, but much more his physical, enforcer play. I think Josi is going to have a much harder time now because even with Subban the focus is on him.

I am not pretending to be some insider guy, but I heard a guy who worked in media tell me a story years ago there is a Preds emblem in the middle of the locker room. He said one time he was wasn't aware he was standing on it, Shea was in the middle of an interview with someone else, politely but very firmly he let him know "Off the emblem, please."

The Titans releasing McNair closed that era, and this is the close of the Trotz "our plucky underachievers" era to me.

For the first time in about a decade I am glad the team finally seems ready to truly compete again.
I might agree with you to an extent but it's not like PK has a weak shot either. Weber would also crank up that shot so much that it seemed he missed the net a fair amount (not saying it's easy to hit the net at 105mph, just an observation). I wonder who has a higher accuracy of hitting the net on one-timers between the two.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hey Preds fans, another Habs fan over here, I have a question about Weber, I know his bread and butter isn't his puck moving ability but how good is his first pass? Habs fans on our board are making it sound like he's Hal Gill in that aspect. Cheers and enjoy PK for us!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Hey Preds fans, another Habs fan over here, I have a question about Weber, I know his bread and butter isn't his puck moving ability but how good is his first pass? Habs fans on our board are making it sound like he's Hal Gill in that aspect. Cheers and enjoy PK for us!

To be honest his passing skills are very limited. Do not expect a stretch pass his inital pass to his puck mover is usually lateral to slightly forward. He is poor at hitting someone breaking to the net. Of course there are always exceptions as im sure someone here will point out. But when you look at his primary asst's most came from rebounds of his shot this is the reason Hornqvist did well here. And from some of the Habs fans it sounds like that is what they are wanting so it should be a good thing. As you know his onetimer is one of the hardest if not the hardest in the league but its accuracy leaves something to be desired. He has broken a number of his own players and opposing players bones and he blinded the GM for some time if he is not still blind in that eye. There are not many souls in the league that will want to block his slapper.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I might agree with you to an extent but it's not like PK has a weak shot either. Weber would also crank up that shot so much that it seemed he missed the net a fair amount (not saying it's easy to hit the net at 105mph, just an observation). I wonder who has a higher accuracy of hitting the net on one-timers between the two.

I sort of agree with you, too.

It's not his shot so much as him banging people around and keeping Josi and others clean to do their best. Kind of like a great left defensive tackle in football keeping the QB upright.

Weber was great pairing with Suter and Josi. They could move the puck and he would do the grunt work. As great as Suter was and is, the Preds replaced him with Josi. I just don't see a replacement for Weber, yet.

I still give the Preds the edge long term, though.

But, I think the rumors of Weber's demise are a little far fetched. He is not going from a top 3 guy to Hal Gill in a span of a few months.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Huge baseball fan, did not know he played in a wood bat league in BC. I wonder how he will be involved in getting baseball to Montreal.

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
We will probably never really know what happened with the offer sheet story, and honestly I don't want to. I want to remember the happier time. I'll always remember Weber's angry streak where it seemed like every game he was dropping the gloves. The Batman and Robin pairing of him and $uter. The mighty boom of his slapshot, the disappointment of the close call Norris trophy nominations (Lidstrom only won because he was going out), and just the shear enjoyment of watching one of the best defenseman in the league.

At one of the meet the team parties, I was able to visit the table with him and Legwand. I joked with Legwand that I needed to take a picture of him, because my girlfriend (now wife) wanted one for her nightstand. That picture was probably going to replace mine. Legwand being Legwand didn't get the joke and just gave me a blank stare, Shea busted out laughing and said "That's awesome". He then proceeded to to sign my jersey, and I told him he was my hero. He then laughed harder, and said "really?". It's moments like that I will always remember, and grateful to have experienced.

Just like time, just like pain, just like death it will all pass. We will hold Weber dear in our hearts, but it's time to start a new chapter. Take care of our Captain Montreal, he's yours now. Don't take him for granted.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
We will probably never really know what happened with the off sheet story, and honestly I don't want to. I want to remember the happier time. I'll always remember Weber's angry streak where it seemed like every game he was dropping the gloves. The Batman and Robin pairing of him and $uter. The mighty boom of his slapshot, the disappointment of the close call Norris trophy nominations (Lidstrom only won because he was going out), and just the shear enjoyment of watching one of the best defenseman in the league.

At one of the meet the team parties, I was able to visit the table with him and Legwand. I joked with Legwand that I needed to take a picture of him, because my girlfriend (now wife) wanted one for her nightstand. That picture was probably going to replace mine. Legwand being Legwand didn't get the joke and just gave me a blank stare, Shea busted out laughing and said "That's awesome". He then proceeded to to sign my jersey, and I told him he was my hero. He then laughed harder, and said "really?". It's moments like that I will always remember, and grateful to have experienced.

Just like time, just like pain, just like death it will all pass. We will hold Weber dear in our hearts, but it's time to start a new chapter. Take care of our Captain Montreal, he's yours now. Don't take him for granted.
Well said.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
We will probably never really know what happened with the off sheet story, and honestly I don't want to. I want to remember the happier time. I'll always remember Weber's angry streak where it seemed like every game he was dropping the gloves. The Batman and Robin pairing of him and $uter. The mighty boom of his slapshot, the disappointment of the close call Norris trophy nominations (Lidstrom only won because he was going out), and just the shear enjoyment of watching one of the best defenseman in the league.

You take your Captain to Team Elected arbitration the year before and it gets to the arbitrator ? That's always a lose/lose in my opinion, so Shea saw that it was the end of the big money deals with the new CBA coming to pass, so he got his, I don't blame him 1 bit, it was either going to be us or Philadelphia. I'm interested to see how Subban adjusts to Laviolette's system, who am I kidding (it's going to fit like a PB&J sandwich)

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
You take your Captain to Team Elected arbitration the year before and it gets to the arbitrator ? That's always a lose/lose in my opinion, so Shea saw that it was the end of the big money deals with the new CBA coming to pass, so he got his, I don't blame him 1 bit, it was either going to be us or Philadelphia. I'm interested to see how Subban adjusts to Laviolette's system, who am I kidding (it's going to fit like a PB&J sandwich)

Agreed, and I don't blame him either for signing an offer sheet some where else. But there were always rumblings he was never happy here. I heard from some stuff from a person who use to practice with him, and I always treated it as second hand information. That's what I meant that we will never know the whole story from beginning to end.

And Subban is going to thrive in the system, and the city.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This is just an opinion but I think most all Canadian kids really want to be drafted by a Canadian team rather badly. If not, then one of the USA origional 6 teams. Nashville has been constantly berated by the Canadian press intensely for years of their exsistance. Imagine being an 18 year old Canadian kid getting drafted by Nashville when all they've heard while youngsters is about Hicksville, non hockey, uninformed fans, etc. Some, if not most, are shocked. It would not be surprising to me for Weber to have been disappointed to be drafted here.
But the most important thing is that it was never evidenced in his effort or his play. He brought all he had every night and all he had was quite a lot. It will be a long time before we see the likes of Shea Weber here.:handclap:
Yeah, why do so many have all the Canadian teams on their limited no trade list?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Well, yeah...somewhere after a couple of years they begin to realize that the Canadian press was wrong and besides its warm down here not freezing. and are you sure it's many instead of a few.

It's because players want to go to a winning team, not a losing team. And yes it is all Canadian teams.

Example: Rick Nash this summer (Just one of many)

[fieldset=Rick Nash No Trade List]Sources also have told The Post that Nash — who has submitted a list of 12 teams to which he can be sent as per his modified no-trade contract clause — would not approve a trade to a Canadian team. Options for a deal are thus limited.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/23/rangers-slow-playing-rick-nash-trade-chris-kreider-extension/[/fieldset]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad