Speculation: Shea Theodore Holdout/Trade?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Was hoping that other than money/term the holdup on signing Teddy might have been him being part of a potential EK trade, and a signing would happen soon after the EK deal didn't get done.

Guess not.

What about trading Theodore? Anyone decent out there (D) we might be able to get? If not for Schmidly being absent first 20 games I wouldn't be starting to sweat now. :laugh:

Also, maybe GMGM waiting to see if Hague/Brannstrom might be ready? Playing hardball with Teddy because he thinks one/the other/both can eat some minutes until Nate gets back?

Answers, damnit! I need answers! Can't stand unresolved situations. :(

Edit to say also forgot about Whitecloud!
I wouldn't freak out too much, this isn't a weird situation.

He's an RFA that's done pretty well in the league, he's earned a few extra dollars and the only way for him to get it is to do what he's doing and hold out.

Hopefully GMGM doesn't give him too much term, but if he'll sign for some extra money, I'd give it to him after a while.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
With Morrissey signed and Nurse about to be signed, Theodore remains the last significant defenseman RFA.

I hope he signs a similar contract to what Hanifin got, because he's at least worth 4mx2 and he'll be worth 6m+ in no time.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think 4Mx2 would be a fair bridge that acknowledges his contribution and gives him room to prove it over the next two seasons.

Reactions: Supermassive

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think 4Mx2 would be a fair bridge that acknowledges his contribution and gives him room to prove it over the next two seasons.

It could go either way. If Theodore signs 6 years big money, Hague and Brannstrom will ask for that same money if not more in 3-4 years. McPhee is sort of setting Theodore up as a comparable for his own players in the future. But if Theodore wants 7m in 2 years, and Hague breaks out in a big way...

By 22-23 the top 4 D might cost 23-26 million (!!)

I'm really, really high on the young defense core. I think any chance to sign one of them long term for a somewhat reasonable cap hit should be done before salaries get out of hand. Hague is just one of those special players you end up paying a ton of money.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this idea we should bridge everybody and pay them later. That's how you end up with a few contracts that are out of hand.

You've got to take the opportunity to get a good deal done when you can. I would have taken the chance with Karlsson too but that one is much more reasonable that you want to see what he's capable of doing consistently.

But Theodore is definitely going to prove it if you have a short term deal so just go long. We have to start getting good value deals and not just pay guys market value or over. I don't think we would need to worry too much about what Brannstrom and Hague do in four years because that's a while away and more dependent on what they produce themselves.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not sure what Theo's asking, but now that those other guys have signed, it should be a reality check where the market is. 2 x $3.5 is more than fair for him with what he's accomplished thus far.
I was gonna come here to say something to that effect but got sidetracked. I agree. With the other contracts setting the standard and the Knights giving Hague so much ice time last night, Theodore is losing leverage by the day.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LeBrun: With big moves and busy offseason, Golden Knights...

Telling words from GMGM
...Can (Shea) Theodore, if we get him signed, play in the top pair?...

That's IF not WHEN.

(Article up to that point is talking about the humbleness in the lockerroom and camaraderie in there. While the guys know it's a business how will he be welcomed back if he holds out much longer?)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly, if I'm Shea I'd be seeing how Brannstrom, Hague, and Whitecloud are doing and I'd be nervous. Inexperience will be a factor, but I don't doubt these guys could plug the holes and so long as they do, McPhee can afford to keep playing hardball.

The only problem is if he does that for too long, we run the risk of Shea hitting the FA market when his RFA status expires.

Hopefully they find a solution soon.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Bob McKenzie said tonight that Theodore is looking for short term while Vegas is offering long term, contrary to the other report

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Bob McKenzie said tonight that Theodore is looking for short term while Vegas is offering long term, contrary to the other report

At some point they need to get on the same page. It's not like they just realized his contract ran out a few days ago.

The agent needs to tell his client he's hurting himself, the GM needs to realize he's hurting the team, & both parties need to work out a deal. Enough already.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
At some point they need to get on the same page. It's not like they just realized his contract ran out a few days ago.

The agent needs to tell his client he's hurting himself, the GM needs to realize he's hurting the team, & both parties need to work out a deal. Enough already.

If Schmidt didn't get suspended they'd have started negotiations with him, maybe have some idea of what he'll cost by December, and for how long. Now with that uncertainty, plus the possibility Schmidt might just leave as a free agent, it's best to get Theodore locked up well into the future and have one less D contract to worry about.

It's important to the team that he 'caves' and goes for something in between what Miller and Hanifin got, because the cost of replacing Schmidt would be very high.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Take back the second rounder you gave the Habs in the Patches" trade and give us Theodore.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Take back the second rounder you gave the Habs in the Patches" trade and give us Theodore.
He'll sign.

Paying more money than you need to for an RFA likely isn't the route you guys should be taking in the #FiveYearPlan. However, for discussion's sake, I'll take the pick and Suzuki back, plus some retroactive Patches retention. :)

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Missing training camp is a death sentence for your season. Players just never seem to be able to get back on pace.

Theo is shooting himself in the foot by holding out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Missing training camp is a death sentence for your season. Players just never seem to be able to get back on pace.

Theo is shooting himself in the foot by holding out.
Ehhhh. I don't think so.

Hampus Lindholm and Rikard Rakell both held out well into the Ducks 16-17 season. Rakell had a 30 goal season and Lindholm was part of one of the top shutdown pairs in the NHL and both were key in the Ducks' run to the WCF.

He's shooting himself in the foot but I don't think it will necessarily be ultra damaging to his play.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad