Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere Signs Multi-Year Extension (Six Years $4.5M Per)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ghost’s agility, lateral mobility, anticipation, & stickhandling are all Karlsson level.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I thought this was the telling quote:

"I try to play it like if I was on the other side of that puck, what I wouldn't want a defender to do to me and that's (take away) time and space," Gostisbehere said. "I'm more lethal with time and space. I can have time to crank up and get some speed. If I don't allow other guys to do that it's going to be tough for them to play better offense against me."

This is the big change on the offensive side, he now knows when he has time and space, and when he should just dump it in and let his teammates chase.
Sometimes "less is more."

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Lol what. Ghost rarely ever dumps it in, even under pressure. How often does he aggressively dangle a couple people at the opposing blue line with that signature move -- head fake, pretend stick handle -- to get entry himself? And he rarely fails because he's just an all-around great human being.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He dumps it in a lot more this year, especially since playing with Provorov, not to gain entry, but when he's challenged at the blue line - which is why we're seeing fewer turnovers leading to breakaways. Ghost isn't forcing things nearly as much, which has reduced his mistakes without impacting his effectiveness - because the plays where he made bad mistakes were often the ones where there was nothing there, which was why he was holding the puck too long, waiting for someone to pop open.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
If he isnt scoring points, he is still creating offense and most important he understands his first focus is D. In addition, his +- shows how much of a two way player he has become. Very impressive

Reactions: Rebels57

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
He dumps it in a lot more this year, especially since playing with Provorov, not to gain entry, but when he's challenged at the blue line - which is why we're seeing fewer turnovers leading to breakaways. Ghost isn't forcing things nearly as much, which has reduced his mistakes without impacting his effectiveness - because the plays where he made bad mistakes were often the ones where there was nothing there, which was why he was holding the puck too long, waiting for someone to pop open.
I agree that he doesnt force as much and understands when to dump but he loves to move the puck which is a great threat and creates options.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We have stats.

2016-2017: 10.1 entries/60.........44.8% controlled entry %......so ~4.5 uncontrolled entries/60 (courtesy of Charlie O'Connor's data last year)

2017-2018: 4.7 dumps/60 (courtesy of Corey Snjzader's data). It's a little tenuous comparing different data sets because of individual error, but if anything it's seemingly his controlled entries that are up by almost 1 per game.

He's an entry/exit wizard, plain and simple. I don't have this data on hand, but I'd be curious of the difference between how much he individually enters and how much he enters via a pass from year-to-year. I'm not discounting improved entry recognition, but perhaps it's because his passes have risen. Or failed entries have dropped. That maybe could pass my eye test -- his ability to suck opposing skaters in near the line and then finding the entry pass improving. It doesn't have to be because he dumps it in, though that's what the Bundy's like to hear.

Last edited:

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
No goals in 19 games. Should of bridged.
Still talking Ghost? If so Im not sure what that infers but I interpret it as support of what has been said. Scoring should not be his focus. D first. Opposition lines plan to stop his offense which allows for other lines to have chances.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's an entry/exit wizard, plain and simple. I don't have this data on hand, but I'd be curious of the difference between how much he individually enters and how much he enters via a pass from year-to-year. I'm not discounting improved entry recognition, but perhaps it's because his passes have risen. Or failed entries have dropped. That maybe could pass my eye test -- his ability to suck opposing skaters in near the line and then finding the entry pass improving. It doesn't have to be because he dumps it in, though that's what the Bundy's like to hear.

I'm not talking about "dumping" it in as an entry strategy, rather, Ghost hangs around the blue line and accepts passes back to him, teams watched his film and started pressing him more, and he was making too many mistakes, holding the puck. The change to me is when he's around the blue line, he's looking for the pass and/or shot but is also more aware of pressure, and when there is nothing there instead of trying to force the play he just dumps it back to the corner and waits for the low/high pass.

Low/high works a lot better when you're passing it high to Ghost than when you're passing it back to Gudas who just throws it on net.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not talking about "dumping" it in as an entry strategy, rather, Ghost hangs around the blue line and accepts passes back to him, teams watched his film and started pressing him more, and he was making too many mistakes, holding the puck. The change to me is when he's around the blue line, he's looking for the pass and/or shot but is also more aware of pressure, and when there is nothing there instead of trying to force the play he just dumps it back to the corner and waits for the low/high pass.

Low/high works a lot better when you're passing it high to Ghost than when you're passing it back to Gudas who just throws it on net.

I can at least agree that Ghost’s cycle game has improved this year. I don’t recall him making egregious turnovers in the past, but you track brain farts/60 closer than the rest of us. It’s certainly not because he’s shooting more though because he isn’t. It’s down 2 shots attempts per game from last year. In fact his individual chance rate has dipped lower than his rookie year. And yet the eye test seemingly is fine with it, and his on-ice results have spiked. Now, the sacriligeous part is perhaps he was blasting more because that’s what the offensive systems under this coach encouraged. Just like Giroux and Voracek working to create higher danger chances this year as well and not settle for crap.

Certainly with Provorov and the top line so often deployed with them, it gives him more skill to play with and not be forced into anything. It’s a 5 man unit. Ghost is on his one timer side. He can blast it whenever he wants a la Farmer. He doesn’t. You’re right in that he has become more content to pass and cycle. Provorov too has improved while being given players/a partner who cycle with him. Lot of passes between the two as well. It’s a lot of low to high, except unlike the rest of the offensive zone doofuses on the back end, he actually gets it back down low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad