Proposal: Shattenkirk will sign (Long-term) somewhere before the TD

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Many teams believe that "passing" on Shatty before the deadline will allow them to sign them in the offseason. My opinion, from a GM's perspective is just the opposite. If Blues GM, Doug Armstrong, values his job in any way, there is no way he allows Shattenkirk to walk for nothing after two players just walked last summer.....just doesn't happen.

That being said....with the emergence of Parayko....I'm all for moving an extended Shattenkirk and another player for a 1C or as close to that as we can get. Also I lock up Berglund, as he has been the player we all anticipated after the surgery.....it seemed to turn him right around.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID... What 1C could we acquire by trading an extended Shattenkirk plus Schwartz (or other piece)???

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
If he signs an extension he loses freedom on where to go and probably leaves money on the table. Not sure why he'd do it

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I am not sure you are looking at it from a GMs point of view but instead your own point of view and your desire to get as much as possible for Shattenkirk.

My own opinion is that if he hasn't signed yet then he has every intention to test the free agent market. Really, why would he do anything else? This is his one chance to determine where he plays and for how much, he is so close.

Also, if he were to sign a long term deal that is going to all but cut out any contender who is close to the cap. Not only would it be difficult to fit him this season, it would be near impossible to fit him beyond this season unless they were to move out salary.

If he is signed, he won't be a rental and he will not be traded at the deadline to a playoff team in my opinion.

If that is what everyone wants to do, that would be good for St Louis but I don't think it is ideal for Shattenkirk.

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I only say that because he has given numerous teams he would be interested in going to....so he must know it is a possibility or that he is truly open to the idea...

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Blues should have moved him last season if they wanted max value for him. A ton of takers for him then. Now they are stuck with (at best) couple picks and a prospect.

Tarasenkshow

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis, MO
It's not even to get as much as possible for Shattenkirk....personally I have never really liked his defensive play. Yes he can captain a PP, but Parayko and even Pietrangelo have played a greater role in the PP this year and look decent doing so. They must be preparing to do the job without Shatty, at some point, and it is more about getting "something" for him rather than nothing. My question was based on "is there SOME way to fill in the missing piece (1C) that we have been looking for by pairing a guy like Schwartz along with Shatty (as rental or signed) to get what we need. I have racked my brain and can't figure it out. The people on here are fairly intuitive (some of them) and propose decent trades at times. The reason I am willing to throw in Schwartz is that while I really like him and he has potential, I just see him playing differently since his injury, whereas Berglund has shown that he has finally come back at 100%

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Only 2 more weeks to go guys! Let's try to keep it to only 3 more threads on Shattenkirk.

Can you give me one good reason Shattenkirk would want to sign an extension BEFORE being traded? I think the realistic option is that he has a dollar amount in mind, and gives the team a tentative OK to a loose framework for an extension. Any team trading for him is going to be trying to bring him in long-term. I don't see him as a pure rental, or if that's his value maybe the Blues just keep him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's not even to get as much as possible for Shattenkirk....personally I have never really liked his defensive play. Yes he can captain a PP, but Parayko and even Pietrangelo have played a greater role in the PP this year and look decent doing so. They must be preparing to do the job without Shatty, at some point, and it is more about getting "something" for him rather than nothing. My question was based on "is there SOME way to fill in the missing piece (1C) that we have been looking for by pairing a guy like Schwartz along with Shatty (as rental or signed) to get what we need. I have racked my brain and can't figure it out. The people on here are fairly intuitive (some of them) and propose decent trades at times. The reason I am willing to throw in Schwartz is that while I really like him and he has potential, I just see him playing differently since his injury, whereas Berglund has shown that he has finally come back at 100%

No. Maybe if he was dealt last season, but no way at this point. It's not just that teams "want to just wait and get him in UFA", it's that to re-sign him, outside of Toronto, the teams tied to Shattenkirk would have to clear space...and can't re-sign him until they do so...leaving them with a lot of risk to do anything but pay rental prices for him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We're not getting that deal. He's deffinently hinted towards he wants to test FA. Doesnt mean the aquring team wont sign him, but they wont trade for an extended Shattenkirk.

With that said. He's still pretty damn valuable. Any team getting him will hope that its long term

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I only say that because he has given numerous teams he would be interested in going to....so he must know it is a possibility or that he is truly open to the idea...

There's a pretty important difference between playing somewhere for 2 months vs 7 years. That he's open to the former says nothing for the latter

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
This is what I think happens.

Shatty will be traded for a solid prospect and a 1st. Typical trade deadline rental. Then the Blues will add language into the deal that requires some kind of payment in the event he resigns with the team.

Basically this, 1st + solid prospect, conditional 1st in 2018 and solid prospect if he resigns.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs waiting makes sense simply because they aren't in a position to be giving up assets. If they can add then great but adding by subtraction when your rebuilding isn't the right move

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
This is what I think happens.

Shatty will be traded for a solid prospect and a 1st. Typical trade deadline rental. Then the Blues will add language into the deal that requires some kind of payment in the event he resigns with the team.

Basically this, 1st + solid prospect, conditional 1st in 2018 and solid prospect if he resigns.

Makes sense.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sign and trades aren't really a thing in the NHL.

Shattenkirk's trade value is that of a pending UFA, NOT that of a long-term signed player. There's no reason to expect a sign & trade, it's incredibly atypical. I can't even think of a single time in the last decade that a player of legitimate value was traded near the trade deadline immediately after he signed an extension.

He's worth something like a 1st + pretty good prospect, definitely not a 1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad