Shattenkirk Stats Bumped or Silently Playing Well?

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Huge Shattenkirk fan here and was truly upset when the trade went down. Anyways, I have noticed that Shattenkirk has 6 assists in 5 games (and the games not over yet). I also noticed that he doesn't get mentioned much around here unless I am not looking hard enough. Are his stats getting raised because of someone elses play or is he legitimately making his presence known?

Jzk

Mar 12, 2009
He's been making some really good first passes. No huge plays (good or bad) yet so no real mentions so to speak. He's just been solid so far.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Shattenkirk has been great so far this season, both ends of the ice. I think 3 or 4 of his assists have come on the PP, so it is basically down to our PP starting so hot.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I've been really surprised by how little flash he's shown this season. He's just been quietly perfecting his game.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He said in the papers he was really mad about his performance in the playoffs last year so he really worked on solidifying his game. I'd say its paid off so far.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He's played great! Lot of smart plays. No fantastic plays, but not many mistakes either.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He gets his points on his own.

If you want an example just look at the pass he made to Stewart for Stewart's breakaway goal against Detroit.

They are just perfect tape-to-tape.

He's a legit player. Great skating, vision, passing, underrated shot. And keeps getting better defensively. He's a keeper and has been extremely solid this season. As others have said, maybe he hasn't shown the flash we know he has, but he's just been quiet and reliable.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
Huge Shattenkirk fan here and was truly upset when the trade went down. Anyways, I have noticed that Shattenkirk has 6 assists in 5 games (and the games not over yet). I also noticed that he doesn't get mentioned much around here unless I am not looking hard enough. Are his stats getting raised because of someone elses play or is he legitimately making his presence known?

His points are coming on the PP, so most around here don't expect him to continue the pace since we don't expect the Blues to continue to have a PP that converts 40+% of the time.

The main reason he isn't getting mentioned a lot so far is that he is playing well. You may notice that most of the talk is about one of three things. A.) Tarasenko. B.) Redden. C.) Players not playing up to their norm (Perron, Pietrangelo defensively, Backes, etc.)

There isn't a lot of talk about Oshie's point totals either. Most of us know it is still early, and the sample size small.

All of that said, Shattenkirk is playing fantastic hockey. He aparently had some sit down conversations with Al MacInnis over the off-season and is more determined than ever to be an all-around great defenseman.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
Shatty has elevated his game from last season. It wouldn't surprise me if he leads the team in assists this year. I think most Blues fans would take Shattenkirk over EJ if they had to chose. Great awareness and anticipation. He is an important cog in this Blues team.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO
Doesn't shy away from physical play either. He's no Kronwall or Douglas Murray, but he can throw his weight around from time to time.

Silently producing at a high level is a very good way to describe his play right now.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
He definitely fits right into Hitch's system, he has fantastic up-ice vision and passing ability. I really hope he is the next player signed long term after Petro, IMO its one of our teams greatest strengths that we have two fantastic offensive defensemen. Playing in Finland has probably helped him get off to a quick start.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Shattenkirk hasn't shown many fantastic plays, but he's making great passes, getting shots on net (just not going in, so far), and moving the puck up ice well. A point per game + is nothing to sneer at. He has greatly improved his defensive game over the beginning of last season, and it's getting better all the time. Soon goals will be going in, as well. I see him scoring 6-8 goals and 27-31 assists (.65 ppg-a good forward's points scoring rate). That's all star level. More importantly, he's depended upon for the 2nd most minutes per game of any Blues' defenceman, and plays a well-rounded game. He's now counted upon for strong defence, too.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
With the Blues finally healthy (Perron, AMac, Steen) and with the addition of Tarasenko, I can see Petro and Shatty continuing being PPG dmen, or close. This team should continue scoring goals with these 3 scoring lines.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
With the Blues finally healthy (Perron, AMac, Steen) and with the addition of Tarasenko, I can see Petro and Shatty continuing being PPG dmen, or close. This team should continue scoring goals with these 3 scoring lines.

Two defencemen on The Blues, with their defensive system, scoring at a point per game pace? You expect both Pietrangelo AND Shattenkirk to score 82 points every year (when healthy)? I think that's not really realistic. Maybe Pietrangelo ranges between 55 and 70 (.7 and .85 ppg), and Shattenkirk between 45 and 55 (.6 and .7 ppg).

Defencemen averaging a point per game in a defensive-oriened system would be quite a feat. These guys are good, but they aren't Bobby Orr, and The Blues don't play the free-wheeling system that allowed Edmonton to pile up tonnes of goals.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Two defencemen on The Blues, with their defensive system, scoring at a point per game pace? You expect both Pietrangelo AND Shattenkirk to score 82 points every year (when healthy)? I think that's not really realistic. Maybe Pietrangelo ranges between 55 and 70 (.7 and .85 ppg), and Shattenkirk between 45 and 55 (.6 and .7 ppg).

Defencemen averaging a point per game in a defensive-oriened system would be quite a feat. These guys are good, but they aren't Bobby Orr, and The Blues don't play the free-wheeling system that allowed Edmonton to pile up tonnes of goals.

haha, I'm a homer. But I did say "or close"

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Thank you guys for the responses. I shudder when I think about that trade. Even Stewart seems to have turned a corner for you to start the year. As much as we needed a #1 D-Man in COL, I would much rather have that #2 D-Man and a good Top 6 PF.

I agree that most of the points are coming on the PP. I just hope that once the PP points stop he starts picking up the ES Points. Good luck to my 2nd Favorite Team :yo:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
8 points in 6 games isn't bad at all. And he's playing the second most minutes on The Blues. I'd say he's doing very well. His defensive game is much, much better this season than at the beginning of last season. He's added physicality to his game, and his defensive positioning is much better.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Looks like we have the offensive Stewart of 2 years ago, with the addition of being defensively responsible. The Blues are solid up and down the lineup, with a LOT of quality depth at all positions. Things are looking quite good!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yep 8 points in 6 games and he's still not even being talked about much. No big deal for Shatty, he's just ****ing good. Reliable defensively and he plays surprisingly feisty and physical at times. He's strong and in great shape. He's a key component back there on the blueline and seems to be able to handle big minutes pretty well so far this season.

I think he fits in so well with our team too. He's a battler, and he's been a leader everywhere he's been. And he's consistent. He always puts up points no matter what. His defensive game continues to improve.

So yeah we're happy with him. And then when you add in Stewart's 4 goals in 6 games... We got the better of that trade.

Last edited:

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
He has always been pretty good at it but this year I really think he has stepped up at clean zone exits. He is making crisp passes and moving the play out of the zone very well.

Petro has had a few hickups here but after the first game, Shattenkirk has been the one who shined in this part of the game for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad