Waived: Sharks Waive Torres

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
It still frees up a little bit of cap space. And it's addition by subtraction in my mind.

It will be significant if Torres is claimed or demoted to the AHL since he's not a 35+. Press is reporting that it was not unconditional waiver, so those the two possible outcomes I am aware of.

If cap space is DW's primary concern, not salary expense, then going unclaimed and to the Barracudas should give the best cap relief. If he's claimed, that $2M gets split, or what's left of the $2M at mid-season between the Sharks and the team that claims him. I doubt he'll get claimed.

I still believe that Torres will likely retire soon after all this maneuvering is done.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
It will be significant if Torres is claimed or demoted to the AHL since he's not a 35+. Press is reporting that it was not unconditional waiver, so those the two possible outcomes I am aware of.

If cap space is DW's primary concern, not salary expense, then going unclaimed and to the Barracudas should give the best cap relief. If he's claimed, that $2M gets split, or what's left of the $2M at mid-season between the Sharks and the team that claims him. I doubt he'll get claimed.

I still believe that Torres will likely retire soon after all this maneuvering is done.

I thought they got rid of that? I'm not a cap expert, though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In the old (pre-2013) CBA, when a player went through "recall waivers", the cap hit was split between teams.

Recall waivers are gone.

This is "send down" waivers.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I assume this is to legally get him more AHL playing time?

That would be my guess.

He clearly wants to play & is nowhere close to being able to play on an NHL roster so more games in the AHL is likely what both the org and Torres want.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That would be my guess.

He clearly wants to play & is nowhere close to being able to play on an NHL roster so more games in the AHL is likely what both the org and Torres want.

Exactly. This does not seem like a "we need to get rid of this guy" move. If he can get back up to NHL speed I'm sure they'll recall him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure he'll ever play in the NHL again, it's looking more and more like that.

If he doesn't come back this year, I think his career in the NHL is over. Will be a 35 year old player next season, that's sat out injured for basically 3 seasons. Not to mention his suspension history will undoubtedly steer teams away.

I'm skeptical he would have even played more than 5 games yet this season if he was never suspended to begin with. I liked him when he was in the lineup, but it doesn't look like we're gonna get to see much of him.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
oh well. When he was healthy and not doing questionable things on the ice he was a great asset (in the few games he played). The guy was actually pretty skilled and I loved his energy. That all said, that pre-season hit was stupid and completely uncalled for.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Torres has only played in 28 NHL games in the last 4 years since being acquired, playoffs and regular season combined. That matches all of what he played for Phoenix in 12-13, before he was traded.

Yikes!

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's likely just playing out the stretch and will earn what is left of his contract. It would be nice to see him get some jump back in his game, but he's 99.9% done.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
I think this move isn't to get rid of Torres even though I think DW would gladly receive the cap-space we would get if someone would claim Torres. I think it is to get him more AHL playing time. Sadly I think that Torres is not going to play NHL-games this season or at least play effectively so it is pretty useless. If we somehow could LTIR Torres it would be the best solution.

Strata21

May 25, 2010
Pretty sure he'll take over as the NHL Director of Player Safety in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad