Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Vincent Praplan to ELC

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He attended rookie camp this year, I think the Sharks let him return to Switzerland to compete in the Olympics which is why he was signed now.

Here's a quote from a Swiss fan back on August 30th 2016.

Watch out for Praplan. He told Swiss media today that he was expecting to sign a contract with the Sharks after the rookie camp. Now I don't know if that's his goal or if he's had serious talks with the organization.

As for Rod, he'll probably never make it to NHL and clearly stated that he would never go back to the AHL. This rookie camp is pretty much a waste of time and is just going to make him miss the start of the season with Geneva.

Reactions: Sens

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Next year's AHL squad is gonna be crowded. I'm expecting Halbgewachs, Gambrell, Praplan, Gregor, Blichfeld and Letunov to be guys that join the Cuda next year. I think I could see Letunov staying for his senior year though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Interesting. He's also only 23. Seems like a solid low-risk opportunity to get some more skill into the org. He's leading Kloten in scoring this year and has been top 3 on the team in scoring for each of the last 2 years. He also had a decent 53 points in 61 games with North Bay in the OHL as an 18 year old (after which he left and went back to NLA)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Cuda are going to be super interesting next season. Just spitballing with no real attention paid to contracts of current guys or the like.

Blichfeld - Gambrell - Balcers
Mashinter - Halbgewachs - Gregor
Praplan - Chartier - Wiederer
McCarthy - True - Sandberg

They can basically turn over half the roster with interesting incoming prospects. And that's with Letunov returning for another year of NCAA work.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I was excited about him when he went through the rookie mini camp. Sick highlights. DW and Co. Always seem to find these gems.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I was excited about him when he went through the rookie mini camp. Sick highlights. DW and Co. Always seem to find these gems.

Based on the small amount of info I've seen and his stats history, I'm thinking he maybe fits into the Donskoi mold of being a good 2nd liner with the right linemates or a very good offensive 3rd liner (if you build a 3rd line that can push for offence instead of just being either a shutdown defensive unit or a gritangibles "energy" line). There was a comment from Zach DeVine noting that he had some issues with the pace of the NA game at rookie camp, so that could hinder his NHL/AHL scoring potential. But for a league like NLA that doesn't put up points like crazy, he did alright for himself over there.

The next question is, of course, whether he'll come back for an AHL gig or this is going to be another Rod situation where he's content to ply his trade at home rather than fight for a spot in the minors here. Because I don't see a reasonable case to be made for him skipping right to an NHL job unless it turns out that he's actaully time-travelling Pavel Datsyuk in disguise.

Reactions: SharkAttack86

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Needs more puns.

PB1005_CUSTOM_BRAND-PurinaProPlanSavor-20160818

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based on the small amount of info I've seen and his stats history, I'm thinking he maybe fits into the Donskoi mold of being a good 2nd liner with the right linemates or a very good offensive 3rd liner (if you build a 3rd line that can push for offence instead of just being either a shutdown defensive unit or a gritangibles "energy" line). There was a comment from Zach DeVine noting that he had some issues with the pace of the NA game at rookie camp, so that could hinder his NHL/AHL scoring potential. But for a league like NLA that doesn't put up points like crazy, he did alright for himself over there.

The next question is, of course, whether he'll come back for an AHL gig or this is going to be another Rod situation where he's content to ply his trade at home rather than fight for a spot in the minors here. Because I don't see a reasonable case to be made for him skipping right to an NHL job unless it turns out that he's actaully time-travelling Pavel Datsyuk in disguise.

Problem with pace? This is hilarious. Speed is hardly ever the problem for European skaters and the level at a rookie camp isn't exactly the same as in the NLA. Praplan was one of the standouts of the Sharks rookie camp...just as expected. That's why I was really upset when he rejected the Sharks invitiation for their NHL camp. I still don't know why he left but it was such a Swiss thing to do. Stupid. Doesn't seem to hurt him though since there was still a lot of interest from NHL clubs. I don't know whether he had other offers to choose from but he got scouted. Glad he finally signed with the Sharks but like you, I'm wondering whether he'll be willing to work his way up or whether he'll just pack his bags again if things don't go his way. NLA is very convenient and good players can make a lot of money. Don't think he'll be particularly happy with the Barracuda:laugh:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Nem,
Maybe he’s of a different mindset due to the fact that he was here playing in the OHL and seemingly went home to have the chance to play in the Olympics. Food for thought.

Reactions: Sens

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
And pace of play isn't the speed of the player. It's the pace of the game. Plenty of "speedy" Europeans have struggled adjusting to NA hockey.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And pace of play isn't the speed of the player. It's the pace of the game. Plenty of "speedy" Europeans have struggled adjusting to NA hockey.
Rookie camp is like slow motion compared to NLA. To even claim a thing like that is ridiculous. Of course there are always a few other matured standouts but overall the level isn't really high. Lots of random kids around a player like Praplan can handle with ease.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Rookie camp is like slow motion compared to NLA. To even claim a thing like that is ridiculous. Of course there are always a few other matured standouts but overall the level isn't really high. Lots of random kids around a player like Praplan can handle with ease.
It's usually a matter of playing on NA rinks rather than the international size when they talk about players transitioning from europe to america.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nem,
Maybe he’s of a different mindset due to the fact that he was here playing in the OHL and seemingly went home to have the chance to play in the Olympics. Food for thought.
He played four NLA seasons since and he rejected an invitation for the Sharks NHL camp. I wouldn't count on it. Difficult with the Russians and the Swiss. Competitive leagues, lots of spectators and lots of money on offer. Plus in Switzerland you are guaranteed an easy schedule with almost no travelling.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Problem with pace? This is hilarious. Speed is hardly ever the problem for European skaters and the level at a rookie camp isn't exactly the same as in the NLA. Praplan was one of the standouts of the Sharks rookie camp...just as expected. That's why I was really upset when he rejected the Sharks invitiation for their NHL camp. I still don't know why he left but it was such a Swiss thing to do. Stupid. Doesn't seem to hurt him though since there was still a lot of interest from NHL clubs. I don't know whether he had other offers to choose from but he got scouted. Glad he finally signed with the Sharks but like you, I'm wondering whether he'll be willing to work his way up or whether he'll just pack his bags again if things don't go his way. NLA is very convenient and good players can make a lot of money. Don't think he'll be particularly happy with the Barracuda:laugh:

Pace as in pace of play, speed of hte game, etc. Not actual footspeed of players. Lots of European players end up having an initial sort of "culture shock" with the western game because the smaller ice leaves you a lot less time to make decisions as opponents close in on you, or a lot less time to react when something happens.

Nem,

I'm talking like 4 years ago. He played in the OHL during the previous olympic year (and played at the WJCs), then left after that. If the olympics were his goal he wouldn't have needed to go so early. It seems like perhaps he thought coming over as an 18-year-old would've made him attractive as a late draftee, then after he didn't get picked as a draft+1 he decided to go back to the pro game.

I wasn't making any judgements about his mindset anyway. Just Rod's.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's usually a matter of playing on NA rinks rather than the international size when they talk about players transitioning from europe to america.
He's played in NA before so the Rookie Camp was childs play for Praplan. Would have been interesting for me to watch him during the NHL camp but he obviously decided to pack his bags. Makes little sense to attend a rookie camp just to leave right after but okay. Sharks obviously still liked what they saw:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad