Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Leon Gawanke to 1 year 2 way contract

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This signing confirms no buyouts for the Sharks so they're going with what they have for the most part with obvious trade caveats thrown in there. They won't have the post-arbitration window at their disposal. I hope Gawanke gets an NHL shot here though. Only way that happens is a Karlsson trade without an RHD coming back though. I can't imagine a way for him to supplant Benning and Burroughs.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This signing confirms no buyouts for the Sharks so they're going with what they have for the most part with obvious trade caveats thrown in there. They won't have the post-arbitration window at their disposal. I hope Gawanke gets an NHL shot here though. Only way that happens is a Karlsson trade without an RHD coming back though. I can't imagine a way for him to supplant Benning and Burroughs.
Being an NHL-quality player?

Flippancy aside (though I'm not being too flippant here), it shouldn't be difficult to supplant either of them, or Knyzhov/Simek/MacDonald/Thrun for that matter. Our defensive corps is probably the worst in the league.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Being an NHL-quality player?

Flippancy aside (though I'm not being too flippant here), it shouldn't be difficult to supplant either of them, or Knyzhov/Simek/MacDonald/Thrun for that matter. Our defensive corps is probably the worst in the league.
It's not necessarily about being an NHL-quality player. That's a hard arbitrary standard to really put a definitive line on especially when you're dealing with the margins between fringe NHL players. I think the idea was to provide Gawanke with the shot under the presumption that Karlsson got dealt without an RHD coming back and then he would be able to play with any of the lefties we decide to keep who all have at least some experience. The issue is their sheer amount of bodies on the blue line at this stage and each of them being something to deal with. Simek and Knyzhov have injury histories but I can at least see a good mix of either of those with Gawanke if he comes through on such an opportunity. But because Simek and Knyzhov have injury histories to deal with, it's hard to pair him with a rookie that needs a stable presence. The obvious answer there is either Vlasic or Ferraro but then you're asking one of those injury cases to play in the top four with Karlsson or Benning or even potentially Burroughs. The blue line is a mess and I'd appreciate Grier making some sort of move to help clear it up. It's going to bug me until something's done. lol

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
All o no D for Leon. One of those guys. Will put up 20 goals and 40 50 points but be on the Ice for more goals against.

Kinda like Karlsson but ahl level
Sounds good for bringing some entertainment value to the tank.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Yay! I'm having a bitch of a time finding a pic of this kid smiling. Love it!!

I'll just leave this here...

Leon_king.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Weird that he's never gotten a chance in the NHL with those point totals. We've got a terrible D-corp, so ideally we'll see him play! He surely can make things no worse.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I like this signing. Hey, whats the down side?

sometimes guys put up good numbers in the A and just never get the chance. Yanni Gourde played 7 years in the AHL, inclduing two stints in the ECHL and a stint in the sharks system in worcester, where he was a point per game player. In fact he was just under point per game most of his AHL career. Finally, Tampa gave him a real shot and BOOM, top 6 NHL forward.

I think the sharks are wise to acquire this guy and if his D is so bad, then no hard no foul. But, if he learns the D side of the game, having a Dman who can score 20 goals and 45 pts in just 68 games has real potential. In light of EK hopefully leaving, it's good to have another guy knocking on the door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad