Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Kasper Halttunen to ELC

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don’t think it’s a terrible idea for Halttunen to play on the Cuda. He’s too good for junior hockey.

Reactions: landshark

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Only if you play in the CHL. I'm hoping he does go to Juniors though... might be good for him
Only players drafted after playing in the CHL must remain in the CHL or NHL until they are 20.

Players drafted out of Europe or the USHL or other leagues are eligible for the AHL at age 18, even if a CHL team has drafted them in its import draft.

I don't think Halttunen is going to the AHL (seems way too early, given his performance in the Liiga), so this could just be a way to get him under contract early or maybe they want to send him to London and signing him to his ELC was the way to get him to agree (he'll probably make more money off his signing bonus and junior salary than he would in Finland).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Only players drafted after playing in the CHL must remain in the CHL or NHL until they are 20.

Players drafted out of Europe or the USHL or other leagues are eligible for the AHL at age 18, even if a CHL team has drafted them in its import draft.

I don't think Halttunen is going to the AHL (seems way too early, given his performance in the Liiga), so this could just be a way to get him under contract early or maybe they want to send him to London and signing him to his ELC was the way to get him to agree (he'll probably make more money off his signing bonus and junior salary than he would in Finland).
He was probably getting less than 10 minutes a night in Liiga, potentially a lot less. The fact a high level pro team thought a 17 year old was good enough to dress 27 times is a promising sign.

Halttunen is clearly too good for Finnish juniors (18 goals in 18 games) and may not get enough ice time in Liiga so it makes some sense to start him in the AHL. If he looks way out of his depth by December, send him to the WJC and then either to the Knights or HIFK.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
He was probably getting less than 10 minutes a night in Liiga, potentially a lot less. The fact a high level pro team thought a 17 year old was good enough to dress 27 times is a promising sign.

Halttunen is clearly too good for Finnish juniors (18 goals in 18 games) and may not get enough ice time in Liiga so it makes some sense to start him in the AHL. If he looks way out of his depth by December, send him to the WJC and then either to the Knights or HIFK.

I imagine it might be the opposite, where he goes to the Knights and if he just blows the doors off the place, maybe he'll be called over to the AHL. The way Grier has been with the prospects, I imagine they'll take their time with all of these guys.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I imagine it might be the opposite, where he goes to the Knights and if he just blows the doors off the place, maybe he'll be called over to the AHL. The way Grier has been with the prospects, I imagine they'll take their time with all of these guys.
If he plays for London then doesn’t he forfeit the right to play in the AHL till 20?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
No, he should still be able to come to the AHL early since he's drafted out of Europe. I think he'll technically be on loan from the Sharks to London.
I believe this is true (see Rasmus Sandin as a similar example). Not entirely sure, though.

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
48 contracts already. Could slide but I hope some start getting cleared out.
This made me remember DWJr. signed Mitchell Russell to a 3-year NHL contract right before getting fired. One final turd in the punch bowl on his way out. Hamaliuk, Ibragimov and Emond never should have been signed either.

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkz4Fun

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Does the NHL club have to sign him to a contract to be able to control where he’s loaned to next year? Could see this being a move to control his development process since he has so many potential avenues.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Needs a lot of time to develop a more patient game that utilizes his shooting talents and his hands. He just doesn't hold onto the puck long enough before making a decision. Should have plenty of space and time in juniors to do so. I worry he would be ineffective in the AHL right now outside of some shooting streaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad