Proposal: Sharks-Sens

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
As a Sharks fan I'd do Hertl for the Sens 2022 1st (unprotected) straight up. No interest in White or JBD.

Reactions: themelkman

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Maybe JBD won't need to be included, we don't really need RD. Sharks needs are forwards (mostly C) and goalie.

I know you guys are high on Pinto but if you're willing to upgrade him for Hertl, I would be interested.
And if Hertl is traded to you, he will sign an extension, guaranteed. He's loyal to a fault.

Hertl

for

Pinto
Colin White
Sens 2021 2nd Rd pick

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
As a Sharks fan I'd do Hertl for the Sens 2022 1st (unprotected) straight up. No interest in White or JBD.
I don't think Dorion will ever trade a future first round pick ever again.
Also why would you have no interest in JBD LMAO.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think Dorion will ever trade a future first round pick ever again.
Also why would you have no interest in JBD LMAO.

I mean if you want to throw JBD in I won't complain but he can't be the main piece coming back in a Hertl trade.

Reactions: Smeddy

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Maybe JBD won't need to be included, we don't really need RD. Sharks needs are forwards (mostly C) and goalie.

I know you guys are high on Pinto but if you're willing to upgrade him for Hertl, I would be interested.
And if Hertl is traded to you, he will sign an extension, guaranteed. He's loyal to a fault.

Hertl

for

Pinto
Colin White
Sens 2021 2nd Rd pick

I wouldn't do that personally. I see Pinto as a huge piece going forward. 2021 1st no problem, JBD, no problem, but not Pinto.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can't see the Sens giving up anything the Sharks would want for Hertl. Sharks certainly aren't taking White back as part of it. If a cap dump has to happen, it would be Tierney.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I can't see the Sens giving up anything the Sharks would want for Hertl. Sharks certainly aren't taking White back as part of it. If a cap dump has to happen, it would be Tierney.
I’d rather White than Tierney. The guy is 24 and was a first round pick.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'd rather have neither because neither are answers for the Sharks in the future. It's a poor use of cap space.
You’re right but at the same time if we are moving Hertl cap space doesn’t really matter and I’d rather White sink or swim than Bordeleau or any other young C (which honesty isn’t much).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You’re right but at the same time if we are moving Hertl cap space doesn’t really matter and I’d rather White sink or swim than Bordeleau or any other young C (which honesty isn’t much).

I think Hertl's 5.625 mil can do a lot. Certainly not what Hertl can do but if we're renting Hertl, we're rebuilding and we can use that space to get assets for other teams' cap dumps. In a flat cap environment, I think that can be leveraged incredibly well.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think Hertl's 5.625 mil can do a lot. Certainly not what Hertl can do but if we're renting Hertl, we're rebuilding and we can use that space to get assets for other teams' cap dumps. In a flat cap environment, I think that can be leveraged incredibly well.
I agree with everything you said and I think we are saying the same thing just different approaches. I’m saying we take back a cap dump to get a better return for Hertl. For that cap dump I’d rather take White who has potential to turn it around.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Ottawa is giving up too much. Pretty awful value-wise but that is a secondary concern. The main issue is his contract length, which is the biggest problem. Ottawa isn't in a position to rent players. Hertl isn't a bad fit for Ottawa, age, position, role, etc.. but as a yougnish top-6 player probably doesn't want to re-sign on a rebuilding team. Even if you could convince San Jose to let you talk to their player and see if they'd re-sign, you can't put pen-to-paper until mid-season, in which case he could change his mind.

A better option would be to wait until the deadline. By then, Ottawa would know if they had a playoff team and thus could decide to trade for Hertl and re-sign him if he was willing. It it worked out like that, Hertl would probably be willing to re-sign in Ottawa because there would be more certainty he was re-signing to a rebuilt, young, playoff team and not a hot-mess of a rebuild. At the deadline, Ottawa would probably be able to present San Jose with a strong package compared to some other teams who might not be able/willing to re-sign Hertl and thus their trade packages wouldn't be as strong to reflect their view of him as a pure rental.

Equally, this probably works better for San Jose too. By the deadline, who knows, maybe San Jose turns things around as is in the playoffs and is kicking themselves for having traded Hertl in the offseason.

I just think it works better as a deadline type deal for both teams. I don't see a huge variation between the packages San Jose will get at the deadline and what they'll get in the offseason being so vast that it makes it imperative he's traded now instead of later.

Reactions: Benttheknee

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Ottawa is giving up too much. Pretty awful value-wise but that is a secondary concern. The main issue is his contract length, which is the biggest problem. Ottawa isn't in a position to rent players. Hertl isn't a bad fit for Ottawa, age, position, role, etc.. but as a yougnish top-6 player probably doesn't want to re-sign on a rebuilding team. Even if you could convince San Jose to let you talk to their player and see if they'd re-sign, you can't put pen-to-paper until mid-season, in which case he could change his mind.

A better option would be to wait until the deadline. By then, Ottawa would know if they had a playoff team and thus could decide to trade for Hertl and re-sign him if he was willing. It it worked out like that, Hertl would probably be willing to re-sign in Ottawa because there would be more certainty he was re-signing to a rebuilt, young, playoff team and not a hot-mess of a rebuild. At the deadline, Ottawa would probably be able to present San Jose with a strong package compared to some other teams who might not be able/willing to re-sign Hertl and thus their trade packages wouldn't be as strong to reflect their view of him as a pure rental.

Equally, this probably works better for San Jose too. By the deadline, who knows, maybe San Jose turns things around as is in the playoffs and is kicking themselves for having traded Hertl in the offseason.

I just think it works better as a deadline type deal for both teams. I don't see a huge variation between the packages San Jose will get at the deadline and what they'll get in the offseason being so vast that it makes it imperative he's traded now instead of later.

An extension agreement can be made official on July 1. It’s only 1-year SPCs that require waiting until January 1.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Hertl would be awesome but his contract is too risky to give up a top 10 pick + for

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree with everything you said and I think we are saying the same thing just different approaches. I’m saying we take back a cap dump to get a better return for Hertl. For that cap dump I’d rather take White who has potential to turn it around.

I think White is pretty much what he is. A guy we got plenty of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad