Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
For all these reasons, I’ll be extremely curious how it’ll go. Gun to my head, I say that Leonard leaves and Smith/Perrault stay. But really no idea. Personally, I’m okay with Smith staying as long as he isn’t stapled to Leonard again—I do believe in the NCAA as the best development path right now.

I wonder if the Sharks will let Smith take his time with this decision, as I highly doubt he’d be getting into Sharks games this season anyway. Maybe he’ll wait to see the lottery results before making a decision…
That's an interesting and I imagine unprecedent situation. Because if the Sharks do win the lotto, you really could somewhat confidently project that Smith/Hagens would be future teammates in San Jose since James is a good bet to go 1OA. They do also know each other through the USNTDP connection, so there is a foundation there.

I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if Smith wanted to finish out the semester even if he does end up signing this year. I believe his sister is a senior at BC and graduating this spring, which again underscores the depth of his connection to the school. So maybe he's not in any rush to bolt regardless as to whether he returns next year or not, but that's just conjecture.

You know what, I think I will. Even if Smith goes pro. BC is just such a fun team to watch and I don't see that changing next year, especially with Hagnes.

That Smith sweater is gonna look clean either way but I have to ask—teal? Black? Or are you gonna throw a curveball and go with white? (There is no wrong answer).
College hockey is really growing in terms of being the developmental league of choice for high-end prospects. So it's becoming increasingly worth following as an NHL fan to watch the future stars develop. And BC recruits as well as any team in the country on a consistent basis, so on any given year you'll see tons of promising players on the roster.

All of the Sharks jerseys look great thanks to the iconic logo. The white is clean, but will probably go with teal. Such a distinctive look. The Ducks could never :D

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's an interesting and I imagine unprecedent situation. Because if the Sharks do win the lotto, you really could somewhat confidently project that Smith/Hagens would be future teammates in San Jose since James is a good bet to go 1OA. They do also know each other through the USNTDP connection, so there is a foundation there.

I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if Smith wanted to finish out the semester even if he does end up signing this year. I believe his sister is a senior at BC and graduating this spring, which again underscores the depth of his connection to the school. So maybe he's not in any rush to bolt regardless as to whether he returns next year or not, but that's just conjecture.

College hockey is really growing in terms of being the developmental league of choice for high-end prospects. So it's becoming increasingly worth following as an NHL fan to watch the future stars develop. And BC recruits as well as any team in the country on a consistent basis, so on any given year you'll see tons of promising players on the roster.

All of the Sharks jerseys look great thanks to the iconic logo. The white is clean, but will probably go with teal. Such a distinctive look. The Ducks could never :D
Ahh, I meant the 2024 lottery. ;)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
No. There's a very, very colorable case that the progress toward his goals beyond college hockey are best furthered by staying in college hockey for another year rather than going to San Jose. That besides the point that he does have goals within college hockey that aren't necessarily secondary to his goals beyond college hockey.
There’s a case for staying, and a case for leaving. Doesn’t really matter either way, as it’s his decision. However, there is no issue to call out here. Fans of the Sharks want him to play in the NHL, that’s well within their rights. The idea that they should be conscious of his personal goals is unrealistic and certainly not a good reason to come at a fanbase.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
There’s a case for staying, and a case for leaving. Doesn’t really matter either way, as it’s his decision. However, there is no issue to call out here. Fans of the Sharks want him to play in the NHL, that’s well within their rights. The idea that they should be conscious of his personal goals is unrealistic and certainly not a good reason to come at a fanbase.
My original post was a response to someone saying, "absolutely zero reason for him to stay in college regardless." You're stating yourself here that there are reasons. Just because a fan of the Sharks can't conceive of any reasons doesn't mean they don't exist. That's an issue separate from people having a preference for what happens.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
My original post was a response to someone saying, "absolutely zero reason for him to stay in college regardless." You're stating yourself here that there are reasons. Just because a fan of the Sharks can't conceive of any reasons doesn't mean they don't exist. That's an issue separate from people having a preference for what happens.
I’m not disputing the nuances of the situation. There’s no need to complain about the innocuous comments of NHL fans wanting him to sign.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Would he be able to play right away for Sharks since they are in Canada? Not sure if there would be any work visa issues or not.
That is a question for someone else that understands visa's lol. The process to me never makes sense, some can play the next day and others have to wait a week or more.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Could get 3 games in if signed quick. Sharks an barracuda have games 18,19,20th.
Tonight is penultimate NHL game. I sincerely doubt he could negotiate deal, sign AND get to Edmonton before puck drop. (Unless Plattner has idling plane in Massachusetts. Visa issues notwithstanding.) And I cannot see them flying him to play in California and back to Canada for last NHL game.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Havent seen anything at all since then. Imagine we will hear pretty soon either way though
Because we heard from Cutter right away, and haven't heard from any of the three freshmen, but already knew that Perreault is likely coming back, I wonder if either Leonard or Smith are waiting for the other to make a call, or one of them is holding up whether they're all going to run it back or something. You'd think we would have heard from Leonard or Smith. OR... perhaps Leonard and the Caps are waiting to see if they make the playoffs and he might get a bunch of games in, but if they miss it, maybe he wouldn't sign?

I don't know. I'm just surprised we haven't heard more.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Because we heard from Cutter right away, and haven't heard from any of the three freshmen, but already knew that Perreault is likely coming back, I wonder if either Leonard or Smith are waiting for the other to make a call, or one of them is holding up whether they're all going to run it back or something. You'd think we would have heard from Leonard or Smith. OR... perhaps Leonard and the Caps are waiting to see if they make the playoffs and he might get a bunch of games in, but if they miss it, maybe he wouldn't sign?

I don't know. I'm just surprised we haven't heard more.

Could be talks with Grier are ongoing. Could be he (and Grier) want to wait to see their draft position. If we get Celebrini, maybe they’ll want Smith to come in and they can grow together.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad