Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info Discussion Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just like Dahlen forgot about the NHL. :facepalm:

Its hard to tell with Dahlen now. He is not even playing in the SHL but in the Hockey Allsvenskan which the level below (I believe). With the success he had last year, I was hoping he would atleast make a jump to the SHL. I am guessing either his confidence level is totally shot OR he just wants to stay in his comfort zone. I hope its the former, and one more year in the Allsvenskan rebounds his confidence and he tries for the SHL or even AHL/NHL after. If it is the latter, then I am not sure if he will ever be a NHL level player.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
List looks good and a lot better than a few years back. I am bummed to see Chekhovich that far low but it is deserving. The one bright spot with Chekhovich is that he definitely looks to have improved as the season went on. He only had 12 points in 42 games but 2/3rd's of this points (8) came in the last 14 games he played (1/3rd of the season). With him I do not think its a question of skill. Confidence and just general on-ice awareness.
Would really like to jettison a couple of these guys for a higher upside guy from another org. I’m very interested in someone like Rosolovic from Winnipeg who maybe could use more opportunity to produce than he’s getting there.

Have so many bottom 6 guys throughout the org that a quantity for quality trade really wouldn’t hurt the depth too much.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Would really like to jettison a couple of these guys for a higher upside guy from another org. I’m very interested in someone like Rosolovic from Winnipeg who maybe could use more opportunity to produce than he’s getting there.

Have so many bottom 6 guys throughout the org that a quantity for quality trade really wouldn’t hurt the depth too much.

I think we are in a good position to make sure trades because we sure have a lot of quantity. But with the flat cap, I don't know if teams will want to give up their young NHL level players for prospects.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Why dont they promote Spiridonov to the VHL?
Before the season I was sure that he will play in VHL. Tbh, I have no idea why he is in MHL. Maybe he is not ready to play among pro, maybe SKA’s management prefer to make MHL team stronger because it’s more important for them or maybe SKA just hasn’t enough good players for this team. Hard to say.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The WJC might be played before the NHL season starts. Is there any chance that Merkley can get on the team now that he seems like a reformed player?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Yegor Spiridonov played a KHL game today. Apparently his KHL team SKA has a serious covid issue and a lot of young guys played. The team lost 4-1 and Yegor played about 6 mins and had no points or shots.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yegor Spiridonov played a KHL game today. Apparently his KHL team SKA has a serious covid issue and a lot of young guys played. The team lost 4-1 and Yegor played about 6 mins and had no points or shots.
It's like, 30 people or something

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yeah looks like they didnt even have him on center, when he was like the top face off man in the MHL last year.
Looks like he played center today. (4/8 on faceoffs) In the MHL they have had him on wing, presumably to play with Khusnutdinov, but today they are 2 of the 4 guys who took faceoffs, so it looks like they finally split them up.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Forgive my limited knowledge of this topic, but what are the chances Merkley makes the big club this year?
I think it is near a certainty:

AHL won't be playing right away. There is more uncertainty in the AHL going forward, so they may not want him there.

His prospect stat profile is that of a player that should already be in the league. Guys like Dahlin and Hughes are coming in at 18 and 19 and taking big roles.

The Sharks are going to give him a sheltered role, and he has all the talent those guys do.

They want to develop a playstyle that fits the Sharks strengths, which is clearly Burns and Karlsson, so a third guy like that will allow the Sharks to execute the same game plan for 60 minutes.

The league is defined by offensive defensemen taking over the game right now, and no team can go 3 that deep, so if DW wants to be competitive with the guys he has that is how to do it.

The Sharks have been pretty clear that they trust him and are not worried about the outside view of him as a person, so that won't play much if any of a role in a decision.

We saw him play a preseason game over a year ago, and he was already better than all the AHL guys the Sharks marched out there this season.

His defensive struggles are severely overblown due to narrative, and by all accounts he showed significant improvement this season, and the Sharks is probably the best place for him to get better anyways.

The one thing that could hold him back is size, but again, he weighs 176, and Hughes is 170, and doing just fine.

The fact that a guy who we are talking about being #6, has a prospect profile very similar and a year older than a guy who was just the top guy on a playoff team should tell you what you need to know. Yes, every player is different, but the success rate for top talent offensive defenseman translating to the NHL is looking very high right now, to the point where it seems foolish to not give him the inside track to succeed.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
AHL won't be playing right away.

Link, please.

Last I heard (Howson) was that the AHL "planned" to start their season (circa) December 4 (or about the same time the NHL planned to return to play).

(Regardless, it is most likely that the AHL will have a similar schedule start as the NHL.)

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Link, please.

Last I heard (Howson) was that the AHL "planned" to start their season (circa) December 4 (or about the same time the NHL planned to return to play).

(Regardless, it is most likely that the AHL will have a similar schedule start as the NHL.)
Yeah, you are right, that is the official resume target date, but still all the financial limitations that the NHL face are even more extreme for the AHL, and the ability to get travel clearance is probably worse.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Currently, the AHL teams travel commercial (air; or charter bus).

Until the US-Canada border is resolved, lots of stuff in the air. (Vancouver - Utica, Edmonton - Bakersfield, Calgary - Stockton have their AHL teams across the border.)

(This topic is being discussed in BOH and AHL forums. No need to duplicate discussion points.)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

AHL won't be playing right away. There is more uncertainty in the AHL going forward, so they may not want him there.

His prospect stat profile is that of a player that should already be in the league. Guys like Dahlin and Hughes are coming in at 18 and 19 and taking big roles.

The Sharks are going to give him a sheltered role, and he has all the talent those guys do.

They want to develop a playstyle that fits the Sharks strengths, which is clearly Burns and Karlsson, so a third guy like that will allow the Sharks to execute the same game plan for 60 minutes.

The league is defined by offensive defensemen taking over the game right now, and no team can go 3 that deep, so if DW wants to be competitive with the guys he has that is how to do it.

The Sharks have been pretty clear that they trust him and are not worried about the outside view of him as a person, so that won't play much if any of a role in a decision.

We saw him play a preseason game over a year ago, and he was already better than all the AHL guys the Sharks marched out there this season.

His defensive struggles are severely overblown due to narrative, and by all accounts he showed significant improvement this season, and the Sharks is probably the best place for him to get better anyways.

The one thing that could hold him back is size, but again, he weighs 176, and Hughes is 170, and doing just fine.

The fact that a guy who we are talking about being #6, has a prospect profile very similar and a year older than a guy who was just the top guy on a playoff team should tell you what you need to know. Yes, every player is different, but the success rate for top talent offensive defenseman translating to the NHL is looking very high right now, to the point where it seems foolish to not give him the inside track to succeed.

this is how I feel about it too. It would be insane not to do anything they can to give Merkley as many chances to succeed with the big club as possible. If this kid takes off the way his stats and talent suggest he might, our defense skill is absolutely bananas.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Well said. A year ago, I would have said he needs a year in the AHL. Maybe he still does, but at this point in time, he should be our #3RD. He'll be very sheltered. We've trotted out some awful d-men in that spot and done fine, because they were well insulated. Merkley has the talent to become a legit contributor in a small role. And worst case, we have another bad season and he's got experience or gets sent to the AHL like the original plan. No loss.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well said. A year ago, I would have said he needs a year in the AHL. Maybe he still does, but at this point in time, he should be our #3RD. He'll be very sheltered. We've trotted out some awful d-men in that spot and done fine, because they were well insulated. Merkley has the talent to become a legit contributor in a small role. And worst case, we have another bad season and he's got experience or gets sent to the AHL like the original plan. No loss.

Vlasic-Karlsson
Simek-Burns
Ferraro-Merkley

If Simek gets close to the level he was at before his injury, that 3rd pairing would be a treat to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad