Sharks News/Notes XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Friedman And Marek Recall NHL Trades That Might Have Been

The draft where Timo Meier went ninth overall, San Jose and and St. Louis had a deal where it was Shattenkirk and Oshie were going from the Blues to the Sharks for the ninth overall pick and somebody,” mentioned Frieman. “I don’t know who the player was and I’m trying to remember. I don’t remember who the draft pick was, and I’m trying to remember who the San Jose player was. It was a fairly prominent player. I’ll remember it."

“But that was a deal that was on the table. The story I’ve been told is that the Blues thought they had a deal and at the last second Doug Wilson said no because he wanted to pick Timo Meier.”

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Friedman And Marek Recall NHL Trades That Might Have Been

The draft where Timo Meier went ninth overall, San Jose and and St. Louis had a deal where it was Shattenkirk and Oshie were going from the Blues to the Sharks for the ninth overall pick and somebody,” mentioned Frieman. “I don’t know who the player was and I’m trying to remember. I don’t remember who the draft pick was, and I’m trying to remember who the San Jose player was. It was a fairly prominent player. I’ll remember it."

“But that was a deal that was on the table. The story I’ve been told is that the Blues thought they had a deal and at the last second Doug Wilson said no because he wanted to pick Timo Meier.”
The player was Hertl.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
The player was Hertl.
LOL so Hertl and Barzal/Rantanen/Connor for Shattenkirk and Oshie is cool, but DAMN IT, NOT TIMO. TRADE IS OFF!

I mean, I do like Timo and all, but it's insane the organization thought so highly of him when the general consensus is that at best he'd be a second line power forward, Ala Clowe.

Either way, probably a good thing because who knows if Oshie and Shattenkirk would've just walked.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
LOL so Hertl and Barzal/Rantanen/Connor for Shattenkirk and Oshie is cool, but DAMN IT, NOT TIMO. TRADE IS OFF!

I mean, I do like Timo and all, but it's insane the organization thought so highly of him when the general consensus is that at best he'd be a second line power forward, Ala Clowe.

Either way, probably a good thing because who knows if Oshie and Shattenkirk would've just walked.
This was prior to the year the Sharks went to Cup Finals, and it's fair to wonder, assuming Doug signed the same players in the offseason, how good that team would have been.

Pavs-Jumbo-Oshie
Marleau-Couture-Ward
Donskoi-Tierney-Karlsson
Whatever the 4th line would be

Vlasic-Braun
Martin-Burns
Dillon-Shattenkirk

Jones
Backup

Depth up front certainly would've been an issue, but that defense. Don't have to use 2 2nd round picks on Roman Polak, could have used them on 3rd and 4th line upgrades. Also, would've been very hard to lose Hertl. Oh well.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They wouldn't have re-signed Oshie or Shattenkirk, and it would have meant no Paul Martin. It was a solid no deal.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
They wouldn't have re-signed Oshie or Shattenkirk, and it would have meant no Paul Martin. It was a solid no deal.
Hard to know if they would have kept Shattenkirk and Oshie, but they each had 1 year past 2015-16 on their contracts. Of course this is all moot since it didn't happen and worked out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad