Proposal: SHARKS/MAPLE LEAFS

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
The sharks have about 10 million in deadline cap space. How about this for a proposal, with the idea of San Jose helping Toronto acquire Taylor Hall for the stretch run. I’ll leave out whatever return Buffalo would get and focus on the leafs and sharks.

To San Jose: 50% of Hall’s contract on top of whatever Buffalo may retain if any, Alex Kerfoot and Timothy Liljegren

To Toronto: Taylor Hall and Ryan Merkley

I’m a little more skeptical than most Sharks fans about Merkley fixing his defensive game but the upside is still there. Liljegren can step in right away on the sharks 3rd pairing. Kerfoot has three more years at a reasonable cap hit, is only 26 and if Gambrell gets picked by Seattle Kerfoot would be a replacement on the same level more or less.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Fair enough, the first season was very good. Second season I'd disagree with. (Not that he wasn't good, but that he was worth $11M)

Either way, when you're claiming Tavares has positive value as a Top 5 paid player in the league, you have to ask if he's a Top 5 player in the league, and realistically, he's probably not even top 25 anymore.

I’m not saying he’s worth his contract anymore in the same sense that Matthews is worth his contract. But it’s UFA years, they cost more and while he’s not amongst the very best in the game, I don’t think his contract gives him negative value. It may hurt his value but he’s a very good hockey player who a lot of teams would still love to have.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I’m not saying he’s worth his contract anymore in the same sense that Matthews is worth his contract. But it’s UFA years, they cost more and while he’s not amongst the very best in the game, I don’t think his contract gives him negative value. It may hurt his value but he’s a very good hockey player who a lot of teams would still love to have.

As far as trade value goes? He absolutely has negative value.

First off, he’s got a NMC. So remove all the teams that he doesn’t want to go to. Next, consider the flat cap, and remove all the teams that don’t have $11M in cap to dedicate to him. When you consider that most of the teams with cap space are shit teams he probably doesn’t waive for, you’re probably left with few, if any teams.

And if there are any left, you have to hope they actually want to take Tavares for $11M a year, and you’d need more than one to have any sort of bidding war.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The sharks have about 10 million in deadline cap space. How about this for a proposal, with the idea of San Jose helping Toronto acquire Taylor Hall for the stretch run. I’ll leave out whatever return Buffalo would get and focus on the leafs and sharks.

To San Jose: 50% of Hall’s contract on top of whatever Buffalo may retain if any, Alex Kerfoot and Timothy Liljegren

I’m a little more skeptical than most Sharks fans about Merkley fixing his defensive game but the upside is still there. Liljegren can step in right away on the sharks 3rd pairing. Kerfoot has three more years at a reasonable cap hit, is only 26 and if Gambrell gets picked by Seattle Kerfoot would be a replacement on the same level more or less.
What? We give up Merkley for Liljegren and Kerfoot AND we get to retain on Hall? f*** off. :laugh:

Leafs upgrade Kerfoot to Hall and Liljegren to Merkley at the cost of.... absolutely nothing?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don’t see a reason to bring in Kerfoot even if Gambrell gets claimed in the expansion draft. I can understand thinking Merkley will be a bust but chances are Liljegren wouldn’t step in when the Sharks would likely still have Simek and Vlasic in this scenario. The Sharks would likely retain two mil on Hall in this scenario and I think that’s a real possibility. They’d probably need a late 2nd or early 3rd equivalent for that. Don’t think Kerfoot and Liljegren are worth that to the Sharks.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I would hate that. Absolutely hate that. I wouldn’t even give up Ryan Merkley for that.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

uhhh... what?

if they want they could get like, a 4th or a 5th from us to retain extra like Detroit did with Savard. but you made this way to complicated.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
What? We give up Merkley for Liljegren and Kerfoot AND we get to retain on Hall? f*** off. :laugh:

Leafs upgrade Kerfoot to Hall and Liljegren to Merkley at the cost of.... absolutely nothing?

did you miss the part where he said he was leaving the Buffalo return out of his proposal?

I would hate that. Absolutely hate that. I wouldn’t even give up Ryan Merkley for that.

i would much rather have Liljegren than Merkley, but to each their own.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
uhhh... what?

if they want they could get like, a 4th or a 5th from us to retain extra like Detroit did with Savard. but you made this way to complicated.

I agree it’s too complicated. If all that’s asked of the Sharks is to retain a mil it’ll be a 4th but if it’s two mil, it’ll probably be a 3rd.

Reactions: CatchyTune

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS

We’d be retaining on Hall for what, 2 months… and I already explained I’m not as high on Merkley and personally feel Liljegren will be better.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Tavares has 181pts in 186GP for the Leafs.

He has a +32.2xGF during his tenure, including +11.1 this year.

Karlsson has seen his production essentially cut in half since his first year in San Jose.

Yeah, this is a no go.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
did you miss the part where he said he was leaving the Buffalo return out of his proposal?

i would much rather have Liljegren than Merkley, but to each their own.
I think they’re similar and have them on the same tier. It’s taking on the cap dump of Kerfoot AND Hall for more of the same.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think they’re similar and have them on the same tier. It’s taking on the cap dump of Kerfoot AND Hall for more of the same.
yeah the value doesnt make sense but neither does the proposal. i could see SJ worked into a 3-way deal but not to this magnitude. just the standard mid round pick for extra retention.

Reactions: Gecklund

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Definitely respect your opinion. While I do agree Liljegren isn’t miles better than Merkley, I truly believe Liljegren can play in the NHL right now and succeed whereas Merkley can not.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
yeah the value doesnt make sense but neither does the proposal. i could see SJ worked into a 3-way deal but not to this magnitude. just the standard mid round pick for extra retention.
Yep agreed 100%.
Definitely respect your opinion. While I do agree Liljegren isn’t miles better than Merkley, I truly believe Liljegren can play in the NHL right now and succeed whereas Merkley can not.
Yeah that’s definitely possible but I think Merkley has the higher ceiling (but definitely the lower floor). It’s not so much about the difference in Merkley/Liljegren because I think they’re close and it’s more personal preference that separates them than anything else. It’s more that the Sharks are taking on a ton of cap and only swapping similar players.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Tavares has been worth his contract and more the last two seasons. This season hasn’t been great but it’s a weird year.

This proposal is horrendous. Karlsson has negative value. JT most definitely has positive value.

Your knowledge of hockey players is horrendous. Strictly a biased opinion based on nothingness but your own wild imagination lol
Cheers

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Tavares isn't burying his chances, but it's not like he is a non factor. he has several grade A chances a game. It remains to be seen if this is a snake bitten year for him or he is losing his ability to finish those chances. Given I've been happy with his play 2 years so far, this year I am willing to not make a stupid move like this.

To many, his biggest issue is he is not Auston Matthews level.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
well, San Jose did exactly what i said. just didnt get the player right.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Tavares said when he was a Free Agent that he had zero interest in playing on the West Coast even though several teams, including the Sharks, made significant offers for him that offseason.

No chance in hell he's gonna waive his NMC no matter what's being proposed to go the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad