LeBrun: Sharks looking to trade Dubnyk at the deadline

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oilers offer Koskinen.

Oilers legitimately could offer the Sharks Koskinen for next season but like the Dubnyk trade to San Jose, it likely involves coming to terms on an arrangement for something else they want to get. So it depends on what expendable young talent the Oilers have so that they can move Koskinen's cap hit.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Colour me naive but over .900 on a losing team isnt that bad. He could be legit on a team that eliminates high pct chances. He will get a 2nd with an offsetting cap dump going the other way.

He was similarly bad in Minnesota the prior season too. Minnesota was also one of the best chance suppression teams by xG and scoring chances against.

I think it's safe to conclude Dubnyk really isn't good anymore. Maybe just a depth option at this point.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
dubnyk against the blues this year: 4gp, 2 w, 2 l, 18GA, 85.2% sv percentage, and 4.52 gaa. magic bullet indeed.

Still seems like an improvement over Miska... :help:

Miska on the season - 5 gp, 1 - 1 -2, 18 GA, 0.838 SV%. And we're still waiting for his first career NHL game with a SV% over 0.890.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers legitimately could offer the Sharks Koskinen for next season but like the Dubnyk trade to San Jose, it likely involves coming to terms on an arrangement for something else they want to get. So it depends on what expendable young talent the Oilers have so that they can move Koskinen's cap hit.
It's only one year. One year won't cost that much to move, if someone is willing to take Koskinen.

Honestly though, if Koskinen is moved, its probably going to be more of a "sure, we need a goalie and have this guy making similar salary who isn't a fit here. Let's just swap 'em," kind of a deal. An overpaid bottom sixer or over the hill depth player with only a year to go. One of those "my junk for your junk" deals.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Goalies traditionally don't bring back much in trade. Dubnyk will be no exception
Yep. Lots of teams need a goalie this year, but not so badly that they will overpay for an aging UFA to be goalie with inconsistent numbers over the past couple of years. I'd give him another shot in Edmonton, just because I'm desperate, but I wouldn't give up more than a depth prospect.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's only one year. One year won't cost that much to move, if someone is willing to take Koskinen.

Honestly though, if Koskinen is moved, its probably going to be more of a "sure, we need a goalie and have this guy making similar salary who isn't a fit here. Let's just swap 'em," kind of a deal. An overpaid bottom sixer or over the hill depth player with only a year to go. One of those "my junk for your junk" deals.

I mean, Dubnyk wasn't in a different position than Koskinen other than the age difference. The Sharks and Wild in total traded [email protected] mil, Ryan Donato, and a 7th round pick for a 3rd and 5th round pick. The Oilers could do a similar trade with the Sharks if they have a similar young player that they don't need anymore. I don't think it would be a winger for the Sharks but maybe a d-man instead. I'm not sure because I don't follow the Oilers enough to know what's expendable to them.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
dubnyk against the blues this year: 4gp, 2 w, 2 l, 18GA, 85.2% sv percentage, and 4.52 gaa. magic bullet indeed.

Um...What? Magic Bullet? What are you doing? I never even mentioned him being good anything, Are you ok?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Um...What? Magic Bullet? What are you doing? I never even mentioned him being good anything, Are you ok?
i never said you said he was good and am asserting the opposite . you stated the "Avs is a good landing spot, especially if they play the Blues in the playoffs" so his current record versus the blues seems easily relevant to your statement.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Why would another team want to take up $4.5m worth of cap room for a mediocre goalie when they could just throw anyone else in there for $750k? If the team doesn't view Koskinen as starting caliber goalie, Edmonton is gonna have to give up at least a 2nd to move him, or similar value

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why would another team want to take up $4.5m worth of cap room for a mediocre goalie when they could just throw anyone else in there for $750k? If the team doesn't view Koskinen as starting caliber goalie, Edmonton is gonna have to give up at least a 2nd to move him, or similar value
I thought I explained the concept of a "my junk for your junk" trade already. Koskinen, to me, is a 1B goalie with consistency issues. Better than a backup, but not consistent enough to be a starter. So he is an upgrade on a number of goalies in the NHL, so teams that are looking for a 1B could be interested. You mentioned the contract, and that is what makes him hard to move, which is how it becomes a "my junk for your junk" deal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Considering that he has one year left on his deal, the Dubnyk deal is sort of a blueprint for that. The deal on its own was Minnesota retaining half on Dubnyk to move up two rounds but it's pretty likely that the Sharks getting Ryan Donato for a 3rd was part of the compensation for taking Dubnyk even at half price. The Oilers could certainly do a deal like that if they have an expendable young player. Junk for junk is also a possibility. Plenty of teams have meh to bad contracts floating around but if Edmonton is dumping the cost, they're probably taking on term in any deal. It's hard to deal a bad goalie contract because the position is flooded with options and limited spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad