Sharks fire David Quinn

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The first reasonable post in the first pages.

Getting warmer...

Bingo. Grier has proven to be a very straight shooter. In his post firing interview he explicitly said that the decision wasn't made because of record and instead was because of what he learned in the "process" which heavily featured exit interviews.

It only took us, 8 pages to just listen to the dude explain himself. The org (Hasso, Grier) knew they were "going to take a step back to take steps Forward" and "things were going to get worse before they got better" (direct quotes). This wasn't a firing to save face, this had nothing to do with the record, this was an unexpected move because of likely terrible feedback from the players. There's a chance that the Lame Duck theory has merit too, but I think it's pretty easy to read between the lines here.

As for tanking vs rebuild, Pinkfloyd is applying a very narrow definition of tanking (intentionally throwing games) and weastern bias is applying a broader definition (intentionally constructing a team that is so bad that it has a legitimate chance to finish worst overall).

I happen to side with weastern, I think an organization can tank (ice a team on purpose with a clear and legitimate chance to finish last, a management decision, even if the players and coach fight every day for a win) without throwing games. You can rebuild without tanking, the Sharks are both rebuilding and tanking this year. Next year they won't be tanking but they'll probably still finish last or bottom three even with significant roster turnover.
Well put.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's curious that a thread on news of a coach firing, you bring up Aliu on a PTO with the AHL team. You're really telling on yourself with this sort of response.
If people only knew what aliu is actually like you'd understand. But hey I'm sure you feel pretty comfortable there up on your high horse. You've won the internet morality award, don't hurt yourself patting your back.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If people only knew what aliu is actually like you'd understand. But hey I'm sure you feel pretty comfortable there up on your high horse. You've won the internet morality award, don't hurt yourself patting your back.
Whatever Aliu is actually like doesn’t change what you revealed about yourself. Don’t play all high horse morality awards when you think you’re morally superior just in this response lol

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Surprised Quinny
0528a1ae9cba32ae51484c3082e3cc9a (1).jpg

Reactions: ThePlanet

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't really get it, Quinn was just a placeholder & sure he wasn't good but at least u had someone to ride out at least another putrid season with.

What head coach would want that job? Your doomed to fail. Maybe a guy who's never had a job but it's going to be extremely difficult for a rookie head coach to come out of that job ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad