Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire D Leon Gawanke from Winnipeg for Artemi Kniazev

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
From the 2013-2019 drafts the Sharks only have Ferraro and Labanc on the Sharks roster, and in the system only Hamaliuk, Spirodonov and Chmelevski's rights remain.

Yeah a lot of people justifiably have probably forgotten Hamaliuk is still here. I'm watching to see if he turns up at the development camp, because after his injury in November while in the ECHL I've not heard a shred of news on him.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
We have so many defenseman after Gawanke, I’m confused how they all fit. Especially because it sounds like Gawanke is likely signing an NHL deal.

Subtracting Karlsson, that’s;

Gawanke, Thrun, Knyzhov, Vlasic, Benning, MacDonald, Ferraro, Simek, Okhotiuk, Burroughs.

I guess the hope is that it’s a battle between everyone for a spot, but I doubt Ferraro, Benning, Vlasic and Burroughs are really at risk…

Thrun is likely getting a spot, considering his usage and general ability (ie being better than most of our players)..

And Gawanke would literally be our only NHL D prospect with any offensive skill.

But Knyzhov is also done in the AHL…

And also, if Karlsson goes, you have to imagine there’s a Petry-like player coming back… so curious what exactly is happening here. I have to imagine there’s going to be a defenseman or two headed out soon?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
We have so many defenseman after Gawanke, I’m confused how they all fit. Especially because it sounds like Gawanke is likely signing an NHL deal.

Subtracting Karlsson, that’s;

Gawanke, Thrun, Knyzhov, Vlasic, Benning, MacDonald, Ferraro, Simek, Okhotiuk, Burroughs.

I guess the hope is that it’s a battle between everyone for a spot, but I doubt Ferraro, Benning, Vlasic and Burroughs are really at risk…

Thrun is likely getting a spot, considering his usage and general ability (ie being better than most of our players)..

And Gawanke would literally be our only NHL D prospect with any offensive skill.

But Knyzhov is also done in the AHL…

And also, if Karlsson goes, you have to imagine there’s a Petry-like player coming back… so curious what exactly is happening here. I have to imagine there’s going to be a defenseman or two headed out soon?
This is why I don't think Thrun is starting the season with the Sharks. Neither is Okhotyuk. MacDonald is either sticking around as a healthy extra who can play forward and defense or hitting the waiver wire. That leaves 7 defensemen, 8 if we get one back in a Karlsson trade. Including Gawanke and Knyzhov who are huge question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad