Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire D Leon Gawanke from Winnipeg for Artemi Kniazev

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Definitely was not expecting this one. I wasn't that high on Kniazev but he was kinda the only competent defensive prospect we had with the Cuda. Had a lot of warts as a prospect though.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
On the main trade board, it appears that Gawanke just signed a 4 year deal in Germany.
This appears to be a contract spot opening.
Saw that on his elite prospects page. Figured we just needed RHD but this makes more sense? Already so thin on decent cuda d though

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
On the main trade board, it appears that Gawanke just signed a 4 year deal in Germany.
Could be a deal where now that he’s in a new org with a chance to make it to the NHL he doesn’t go there. Supposedly was fed up with WPG about guys getting called up over him.

Reactions: themelkman

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The quick reading I did said that he signed with Germany cuz he was tired of not getting any chances with the Jets. He supposedly has an out clause and some opportunities with the Sharks. Seems like he has some skill

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Could be a deal where now that he’s in a new org with a chance to make it to the NHL he doesn’t go there. Supposedly was fed up with WPG about guys getting called up over him.
To shed some light on this, the Deal with Mannheim Has been signed in May. But He Said If He was traded then He would Look into coming Back to NA. Because he was pissed af and spoke to german Media about it before the world Championship.

Here the Link to the article (German) Gawanke schimpft auf NHL-Team: "Hab mir den Arsch aufgerissen"

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Definitely was not expecting this one. I wasn't that high on Kniazev but he was kinda the only competent defensive prospect we had with the Cuda. Had a lot of warts as a prospect though.

I was. I actually just mentioned the other day on here that I thought we'd move a defenseman and thought it might be Kniazev.

Kniazev didn't take a big step forward that I thought he needed to take last season, there are too many LHDs and virturally no RHDs, and this was his last year under contract. It sucks cause I like Kniazev, but I saw that one coming a mile away.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If we can sign Gawanke he and Mukhamadullin, Thrun and Okhotyuk should form a strong top four on the Cuda. Grier has completely rebuilt our horrid AHL defense in 4 months.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Have you seen him play? What’s the scouting report?
Seen him play during the World Championships the last 2 times.
He plays a save game there and focuses on defense (shot blocking) but also uses his shot as well as his passing ability to create some offense. But thats with the national team, i don't know how he looked in manitoba.
But i think he plays more of an offensive role there.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No chance Thrun starts in the A but switch in Cicek and yes.
Thrun should definitely start in the AHL and it looks like he will since we have 7 other defensemen on one-way contracts. Cicek probably belongs in the ECHL, it's crazy he played NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad