Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Andrej Sustr for Andre Agozzino

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There are definitely teams that would have been interested in Blackwood as a reclamation project. Giving up Agozzino for Sustr is smart because it frees up a contract slot.
I mean if we get out bid on a Swiss cheese goalie we already have Kahkonen so whatever. Trade for Murray then and get a pick for a similar level goalie.

I wouldn’t call it smart until Sustr actually walks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I mean if we get out bid on a Swiss cheese goalie we already have Kahkonen so whatever. Trade for Murray then and get a pick for a similar level goalie.

I wouldn’t call it smart until Sustr actually walks.
Even if we re-sign Sustr, better to use that contract slot on a right handed defenseman of which the Barracuda currently have 0 than another small forward.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Adding to the AHL defensive depth is okay considering what happened last year but I like Agozzino

AHL defense:

LHD: Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk, Cicek, Guryev, Kniazev, Pulli, Kinal, Pouliot (UFA)
RHD: Laroque, Frisch, Sustr (UFA)

I'm not convinced we aren't signing Sustr just because of that RHD list. I also think we'll end up moving another defenseman before the season. My guess would be Kniazev.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Even if we re-sign Sustr, better to use that contract slot on a right handed defenseman of which the Barracuda currently have 0 than another small forward.
Laroque will be with the Cuda this year. If it was actually to free up a spot then move him for FC. Otherwise I’m expecting Sustr to be signed.

• Wow

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Laroque will be with the Cuda this year. If it was actually to free up a spot then move him for FC. Otherwise I’m expecting Sustr to be signed.
Laroque missed almost an entire season due to injury, I wouldn't be surprised if they send him back to the WHL for an overage year. Sustr will be a solid addition to the Cuda if re-signed.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
AHL captain that has only been here 1 season requesting a trade is very.... off. Hopefully it's just him being only the second player in the organization that actually cares about winning knowing he has no chance with the Cuda and not because it's the dollar store version country club.

• Wow

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
AHL captain that has only been here 1 season requesting a trade is very.... off. Hopefully it's just him being only the second player in the organization that actually cares about winning knowing he has no chance with the Cuda and not because it's the dollar store version country club.

Yeah just saw this, and that changes things for me:

Last edited:

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Considering a fair bit of the 'talent' the Cuda brought in last season are being moved on - Agozzino, Suess, Pouliot, etc. I dare say the clubs attempt at success was a failure and they moved on from it.

Reactions: themelkman

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Considering a fair bit of the 'talent' the Cuda brought in last season are being moved on - Agozzino, Suess, Pouliot, etc. I dare say the clubs attempt at success was a failure and they moved on from it.

They were also there to shelter some of the younger guys who now need to step up. Bordeleau needs to challenge for the 1C in the AHL. Guschin, Wiesblatt, Cardwell — these guys need to take over now.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
They were also there to shelter some of the younger guys who now need to step up. Bordeleau needs to challenge for the 1C in the AHL. Guschin, Wiesblatt, Cardwell — these guys need to take over now.

It's a little bit too much to be reading into this specific set of moves. Agozzino asked out, I assume he wanted to go back to Anaheim/San Diego for some personal reason, and we now have about a half dozen LHDs even without bringing back Pouliot. If anything it'd make sense to bring in a vet RHD, I thought it was going to be Sustr. Suess will probably just be replaced by a similar player. We could use another PK guy.

Teams in the AHL don't typically win with solely a group of rookies any more than teams in the NHL do, but at least last year's guys have more experience now. Cuda lost a bunch of forwards after last season, and I'm including Eklund in that list. I'm guessing the Karlsson trade comes first before we add anyone else, just mostly to see how many contract spots we even have available after it. After that, give me a Rocco Grimaldi or a Gemel Smith (who's also Givani's brother, hmm) or something, and we'll go from there.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's a little bit too much to be reading into this specific set of moves. Agozzino asked out, I assume he wanted to go back to Anaheim/San Diego for some personal reason, and we now have about a half dozen LHDs even without bringing back Pouliot. If anything it'd make sense to bring in a vet RHD, I thought it was going to be Sustr. Suess will probably just be replaced by a similar player. We could use another PK guy.

Teams in the AHL don't typically win with solely a group of rookies any more than teams in the NHL do, but at least last year's guys have more experience now. Cuda lost a bunch of forwards after last season, and I'm including Eklund in that list. I'm guessing the Karlsson trade comes first before we add anyone else, just mostly to see how many contract spots we even have available after it. After that, give me a Rocco Grimaldi or a Gemel Smith (who's also Givani's brother, hmm) or something, and we'll go from there.
I’m guessing one of Burroughs or Gawanke are in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad