Martin Jones

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
xx (do i need to protect Athansiou?)
xx (Do I need to protect Mantha?)
(Do I need to protect Saros?)

Athansiou will have to be signed (50+ games) and a 3rd year pro, so you will have to protect him.

Mantha needs only 16 more games to reach 50, and is a 3rd year pro, so you will have to protect him if he plays those 16 more NHL games.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You don't have to protect prospects, but neither Mantha or Athanasiou will be considered prospects at the end of the year and both will be eligible most likely. Both will have played 2 or more years of pro hockey, and both will likely have played 50 NHL games (unless Mantha stops playing now for some reason - don't see it).

Most GMs if they haven't done their research, are going to be quite surprised by the number of rookies that are actually eligible because of time as a pro elsewhere.

Not sure on Saros given I'm not positive about the # of games required to be eligible as a goalie.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Not sure on Saros given I'm not positive about the # of games required to be eligible as a goalie.

Saros has 8 NHL games and needs 25 to be forced off the prospects list.

He's a 2nd year pro in NA, which begs the question about his Euro pro experience and if that counts --

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
check planmyteam.com or capfriendly.com for players that are eligible to be picked.

Mantha, Athanasiou are eligible. Saros is not.

There will be exceptions to those sites though, for example players who've not played 50 games in the NHL and are still on prospects lists, no?

The rule in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2095831

"All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices on the prospect list, will be exempt from selection"

"*In short, if a player is active on a roster"

So some players on the planmyteam.com or capfriendly lists will be different in the HFNHL.

Also: "professional" seems to reflect only North American pro seasons -- For example, Artemi Panarin has 9 pro seasons, but only 2 in North America, so he's exempt from being protected.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
There will be exceptions to those sites though, for example players who've not played 50 games in the NHL and are still on prospects lists, no?

"All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices on the prospect list, will be exempt from selection"

So some players on the planmyteam.com or capfriendly lists will be different in the HFNHL.

Also: "professional" seems to reflect only North American pro seasons -- For example, Artemi Panarin has 9 pro seasons, but only 2 in North America, so he's exempt from being protected.

This all seems correct from my understanding. Basically if they are available on either of those sites they can be selected unless they remain unsigned because they have not meet the games played requirements by our league. However teams also need to meet the requirements of a certain amount of players at each position left unprotected that are under contract. So I assume the agents are going to quite busy leading up to the expansion draft.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
All of that is true, although not being signed, basically means they will have to have played less than 50 games, because we are obliged to sign players in the off-season BEFORE the expansion draft from what I understand.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
This all seems correct from my understanding. Basically if they are available on either of those sites they can be selected unless they remain unsigned because they have not meet the games played requirements by our league. However teams also need to meet the requirements of a certain amount of players at each position left unprotected that are under contract. So I assume the agents are going to quite busy leading up to the expansion draft.

I'm not sure about other teams, but I'll have plenty of very good, very useful and genuine prospects available. Just no way around it -- and teams at the moment don't seem that interested in adding players they have to protect, which indicates most teams have almost locked in on who they're protecting. Gonna be a good haul for Vegas.

Dr. Sens said:
All of that is true, although not being signed, basically means they will have to have played less than 50 games, because we are obliged to sign players in the off-season BEFORE the expansion draft from what I understand.

It seems that both prospect activations/prospect signings AND qualifying offers will have to be done before the expansion draft (because the goalie option does allow you to expose pending RFA's, as long as a QO has been made.)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site

I think the professional seasons rule is from signing their first NHL contract. If you sign a player and then he goes to Europe, that counts as a pro season. If he plays 5 years over there then you sign him, it doesn't count.

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
A guy like Esa Lindell in my prospect list ...do I need to protect him??? and Nikita Tryamkin?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
A guy like Esa Lindell in my prospect list ...do I need to protect him??? and Nikita Tryamkin?

Lindell is a 3 year pro, even though he went back to Europe in year 1, he did play in the AHL, so I think if he plays 15 more NHL games this season, then yes, you'll need to protect him. But he has to play those 50 NHL games first. Otherwise, he's safe.

Tryamkin is only a 2nd year pro, so you don't need to protect him.

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
updated

I am looking for top six forward for next season, which i can protect.

Available are;
Michael Raffl,
Blake comeau,
Daniel Carr,
Jordan Martinook
Riley Sheahan
prospects:
Picks (all)
Timo Meier
Julius Nattinen
and other prospects as well except Gauthier, Tuch and those I have promoted to next season roster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad