Prospect Info: Shamil Shamkov G (2018 202nd)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure I get this pick. I mean Avs jobs as scouts are to undercover hidden gems and talent like this, but I think it's safe to say this bloke wasn't going to be drafted. So not waste this pick on someone like Yegor Kotkov instead who has legitimate talent, high enough to still be considered a top 100 player and motor this guy's situation? I mean you can sign this guy next year to an ELC or use a 7th rounder on him if he improves to the point you like?

I read a MMH report on him saying he plays a crazy and aggressive style like Tim Thomas, but also is an athletic beast at 6'6". So just picture a 6'6" Tim Thomas and that is effin' nuts when you think about it. He's very athletic, he's very fast, and just needs more of the technical and positioning side handled. That might sound like too much of a project, but when it comes to goalers those are the players you can work on and improve. As they say, you can teach athletic lads to become more positional solid, but very rarely can you teach a stiff lad to be athletic.

Reactions: avsfan3737

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
As we can already tell by this pick, Hepple said they like the tools this kid has, but that they can leave him over in Europe for a long time to pretty much mature and saturate in experience. Based upon what he said, I am honestly thinking like a six year project. 4 years for the rights Avs have with him and 2 more when he eventually gets to the KHL when his rights go on indefinite hold. Total MLB project here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As we can already tell by this pick, Hepple said they like the tools this kid has, but that they can leave him over in Europe for a long time to pretty much mature and saturate in experience. Based upon what he said, I am honestly thinking like a six year project. 4 years for the rights Avs have with him and 2 more when he eventually gets to the KHL when his rights go on indefinite hold. Total MLB project here.

The pick actually screams to me that they ran out of draftable players (gut feeling this happened late in the 6th round) on their list and couldn't move the 7th rounder. So take a gamble on a Euro goalie to see if they strike gold.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The pick actually screams to me that they ran out of draftable players (gut feeling this happened late in the 6th round) on their list and couldn't move the 7th rounder. So take a gamble on a Euro goalie to see if they strike gold.

I think one of the factors is that they'll own his rights indefinitely, if we do strike gold with him and he wants to come to the NHL, he'll be an Avs regardless of age.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just by the way that sounds I'd want one of those jerseys lol.
Dude... They followed the parent club's re-brand and the jerseys are f***ing sweet.

28428773_916897771803444_1039500463520612352_n.jpg

363cde1475c8087920684efb37620bc2.jpg

Reactions: MarkT and cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Since they drafted two players out of MHL in the previous two rounds, they probably at least had a few looks at this guy.

Perhaps Parkkila has some connections in Russia that recommended this guy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Since they drafted two players out of MHL in the previous two rounds, they probably at least had a few looks at this guy.

Perhaps Parkkila has some connections in Russia that recommended this guy.

Oh I'm absolutely sure they had a report on the kid, but just saying it looks like a pick where they ran out of players on the draftable list (which varies team to team and I've heard some as few as 63 players this year) and couldn't move the pick. So draft a kid that has upside, but you control the rights for a long time on. Hopefully you strike gold.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ha nice, I've never tried to get a jersey from over there so it could be an interesting hunt. I'll tag you if I ever find anything.
They don't even sell those within Russia on Sibir's own website, so if someone really wanted one, they should ask the jersey provider Lutch about it. They're from California so it's entirely doable, but I reckon it'd cost way more than anyone has ever wanted an MHL jersey.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They don't even sell those within Russia on Sibir's own website, so if someone really wanted one, they should ask the jersey provider Lutch about it. They're from California so it's entirely doable, but I reckon it'd cost way more than anyone has ever wanted an MHL jersey.

Cost for jersey's is a weird thing when you collect them. I've paid way more than I should have for some stuff lol.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unranked and his stats are great, plus it's a 7th. Ideal way to placate the new guy.

That seems like quite the limb to go out onto but okay.

If we're doing this though is it possible that Parkkila may have had a say in this pick? I have no idea if he has any connections to Russian hockey outside of Varlamov but you never know.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Parkkila was a KHL goalie coach before we hired him, so yeah he might have heard about this guy through the grapevine. Hard to say though.

I really hope Eurolanche can get an interview with him so we can learn more about him/his plans. Kovalenko and Zhuravlyov as well, but especially him since we know pretty much nothing aside from stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad