Shall we have a draft of some kind this month? next month? the month after that?... or just in 2018

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Does anyone want to do a draft in the three months between now and the start of the all-time draft of 2018?

AAA 2017?

Or a quick ATD?

or... another of those one-player-per-franchise drafts?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's been too long. We need to have a year where we go super deep. There are some guys who have been rising pretty quickly and I want to see where they slot in. Ryan O'Reilly, Pacioretty, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Eberle, Hedman, JVR, Voracek, Oshie, Shattenkirk, and Turris are all guys who've added to their resumes in the last two full seasons (some more, some less), were not selected by the end of this year's MLD, but would be worthy of selection at some point in the next 1000 picks. You don't really know where they fit until you go through the process of a draft and continually compare them to the other guys you find along the way. But this year it's too late. It's already late October... and what are we really going to do? Cobble together a 4-team draft and honor another 100 players? Pfft. A drop in the bucket. We have to get more people interested in the lower drafts and have an epic 16-team MLD and 12-team AAA again - that'll get us down to the 1300s.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
On another group I'm on we've been doing drafts were we pick players from 2 franchises. Those have been fun. I think the old format of these has run its course (IMO), time to shake things up here to retain interest.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
On another group I'm on we've been doing drafts were we pick players from 2 franchises. Those have been fun. I think the old format of these has run its course (IMO), time to shake things up here to retain interest.

You guys can have silly little fun drafts with a twist all you like, but there always needs to be a format where all players are eligible, no restrictions. It's important for tracking the all-time value of players as they progress and as more information is uncovered.

Reactions: VanIslander

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Recruitment is key. Posters like 29GoalHoglund and BlueBull are new-ish to the boards, hungry to learn, and post copious amounts of material a day - being constantly on the lookout is how we find guys like Iceman and ResilientBeast, who are now among the best contributors here even if their involvement here is only a few years old.

I don't think gimmick drafts do much to freshen this board, as the base of GMs that participate are always the same people that participate in MLDs anyway. I'd be interested in a non-NHL draft, as it would actually shed some light on what some consider a systemic issue with our MLDs and lower drafts (and could possibly attract participants like Batis and VMBM who have a different outlook than some of us), but Seventies is right that the board is more vital when there's a productive aspect to each campaign.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I think people do gimmick drafts because they're bored. Nothing more.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I just feel all the drafts (perhaps excluding ATD) arejust a rush to get to the playoffs. Pick a player and move on. Not really motivated.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I just feel all the drafts (perhaps excluding ATD) arejust a rush to get to the playoffs. Pick a player and move on. Not really motivated.

I would say that this is an accurate statement about the ATD as well. At least lately. It's been this way since the mega 40 team draft I feel.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I build up pick announcements with assembled research and no one comments... most just drop a name and move on

yeah, participation has been minimal

Dead Board Walking

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I build up pick announcements with assembled research and no one comments... most just drop a name and move on

yeah, participation has been minimal

Dead Board Walking

I think this is because research on a large scale has largely grown stale. We already know just about everything there is to know about most players, especially post-consolidation, and there are multiple bios available for most of the prominent players already available.

Although I won't deny that perhaps laziness or disinterest has taken hold.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think this is because research on a large scale has largely grown stale. We already know just about everything there is to know about most players, especially post-consolidation, and there are multiple bios available for most of the prominent players already available.

Although I won't deny that perhaps laziness or disinterest has taken hold.

Since they ruined the google news archive search, I've pretty much given up on doing any substantial research.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAIlAAAAJDQ4OGU1YTdkLWI2MjktNGFmNy1iODE3LTEyODJhYWQyOTc1Nw.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad