GDT: SF • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 2 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladNYC*

Congrads to Sweden! You guys have a great team, great players, a great system and most of all you deserved the win. Go on and get your second gold!

As for team Russia..where to even start.

The system:
...or lack there of. Varnakov is an idiot. Plain and simple. The mark of stupidity is not not knowing how to do something but not learning from your mistakes, and that is Varnakov's problem. There was no direction, no organization and the coaching staff tried the same play over and over and over and over. They tried the same thing against every opponent in every situation regardless of what was going on in the game. This is not 1980, you can't just say, "We will bait their pitiful offense in our zone, counter quickly and let our superior talent and conditioning win the game".

Yakupov:
This is the future of Russian hockey? This is the next Ovechkin? A half speed, dumber than a bag of rocks Afinogenov? This guy should be on the 4th line cycling and grinding, not wasting offensive opportunity after offensive opportunity with his predictable puck hogging play. He was our worst forward. If this is the kind of player he is then I am fine with never seeing him in a Team Russia jersey ever again. I hope he proves me wrong but right now it looks like Edmonton wasted a draft pick.

The Good:
-Our goalies are heroes. Plain and simple. Real warriors with ice in their veins. Makarov and Vasilevsky are amazing talents. Def something to be happy about.
-Grigorenko is a very talented player with great vision. The game slows down for this guy. He will be a great player.
-Despite the terrible showing this year I think the team was very decent. I think many of the players did very well despite the terrible system Varnakov had. Other then Yakupov, I liked every other player's individual performances. I thought a lot of guys showed up and showed heart and ability.

All that said im still looking forward to playing Canada in the loser bowl for the bronze medal. Always exciting when our two teams meet. :handclap:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The game should've been 5-0 after the first period. It's amazing to see how incredibly sloppy and stupid the Swedes started playing after that - bet they thought that the game was over...

Forsberg was incredible the first 20, totally invinsible the following 50.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
The game should've been 5-0 after the first period. It's amazing to see how incredibly sloppy and stupid the Swedes started playing after that - bet they thought that the game was over...

Forsberg was incredible the first 20, totally invinsible the following 50.

He still does so many things right when he's not creating offense. He was phenomenal on the backcheck throughout the game.

I just rewatched parts of the game and some players you usually don't follow that much on the ice were great, I have for example never seen Rask this good on the national team. Sörensen was also really good even though he didn't play much. Wennberg was also great but I've already gotten used to that. Boyce must be one hell of a leader otherwise I'm not sure what he's doing on this team.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Yakupov:
This is the future of Russian hockey? This is the next Ovechkin? A half speed, dumber than a bag of rocks Afinogenov? This guy should be on the 4th line cycling and grinding, not wasting offensive opportunity after offensive opportunity with his predictable puck hogging play. He was our worst forward. If this is the kind of player he is then I am fine with never seeing him in a Team Russia jersey ever again. I hope he proves me wrong but right now it looks like Edmonton wasted a draft pick.

Yes Yakupov was beyond brutal during the WJC and the subway series. It pains me because I have seen the real Yakupov. He wasn't himself this tourney, I have no idea what caused this all I know is that he wasn't playing to his capability. It's just a shame that so many people are judging him, and calling him a bust after watching him play in the WJC. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 1st time some people have seen Yak play.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
The Good:
-Our goalies are heroes. Plain and simple. Real warriors with ice in their veins. Makarov and Vasilevsky are amazing talents. Def something to be happy about.

They are always a treat to watch, will definitely be special players. They scare the crap out of me when we face Russia.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yes Yakupov was beyond brutal during the WJC and the subway series. It pains me because I have seen the real Yakupov. He wasn't himself this tourney, I have no idea what caused this all I know is that he wasn't playing to his capability. It's just a shame that so many people are judging him, and calling him a bust after watching him play in the WJC. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 1st time some people have seen Yak play.

The thing that disappointed me the most about him was the fact of him being a puck hog. Its not like Russia threw a bunch of scrubs together and told Yakupov to captain them to gold. He had team-mates to pass too, some extremely talented, yet he didn't. Even in the Sweden Russian game he tried to get by four guys by himself. I'm sorry buddy, your not playing bantam any more, can't do that crap. They will stop you every single time, and they did. It was highly disappointing.

He was probably the most talented forward out there, yet shot himself in the foot. How the hell was he named captain?

VladNYC*

He better learn to pass and play the team game. I haven't liked his game since I saw him the first time and this tourney does not help my perspective. Guys like Yakupov are a dime a dozen in Russia and yet he went first overall for some odd reason. Then there is guys like Nikita Gusev who are magicians who go under the radar. Sometimes I really wonder about scouts and whether they are able to see anything past a year or two. I'd take a Gusev over two Yakupovs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad