WJC: Several Swedish players and coaches suspended for their conduct during WJC medal ceremonies

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
IIHF - IIHF Disciplinary board decision

The player suspensions are as follows:
  • Forward and team captain Lias Andersson is suspended for the first four games of the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
  • Forward Axel Jonsson is suspended for the first two games of the 2019 IIHF Junior World Championship.
  • Forward Jesper Boqvist is suspended for the first two games of the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
  • Defenceman Rasmus Dahlin is suspended for the first two games of the 2019 Ice Hockey U18 World Championship.
  • Goaltender Olle Eriksson Ek is suspended for the first two games of the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
In addition to the player suspensions, The Disciplinary Board has also suspended three members of the coaching staff.

Head coach Tomas Montén is suspended from acting as head coach or assistant coach or in any other position as a team official for the first three games at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Assistant coach Nizze Landén is suspended from acting as assistant coach or in any other position as a team official for the first two games at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship

Assistant coach Henrik Stridh is suspended from acting as assistant coach or in any other position as a team official the first two games at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Andersson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Jonsson is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Boqvist is too old to play in the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship.
Dahlin is too old to play in the 2019 Ice Hockey U18 World Championship.

Poor Eriksson Ek, though.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
They even got some of these players wrong. Sellgren, Nylander, Lundeström and Högberg also took their medals off during the ceremony. Dahlin was wearing his from what I can see.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
"In the case of the players, immediately after the silver medal was placed around their necks and while still on the ice, all four players took the medals off and kept them in their hands for the remaining ceremony."

That's interesting... Look at Dahlin at 1:06, 2:26 and 5:32.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well the IIHF does a very good job of looking stupid here. Regardless of whether or not the players should be punished for taking off a medal that they themselves earned, what sense does it make to suspend players from a tournament that they are ineligible for?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Well the IIHF does a very good job of looking stupid here. Regardless of whether or not the players should be punished for taking off a medal that they themselves earned, what sense does it make to suspend players from a tournament that they are ineligible for?
I think it's to set an example for next time

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I don't even see it as disrespectful. If they would have just left it one the ice or something that would have been a different story

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
"In the case of the players, immediately after the silver medal was placed around their necks and while still on the ice, all four players took the medals off and kept them in their hands for the remaining ceremony."

Boqvist(#21) at 5:21....

And yeah, a joke that Znarok only got 1 game.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Because it is to stop this from happening in the future.

There should however be a spill over to other IIHF events.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hope the team loosing gold does the same in WC. Its there medals, they do what they want with them. Holding in there hands oooh how disrespectfull. I can think of several things much more disrespecfull to hold in your hand. Would not have cared at all if Canada did the same if they lost. How can you in your right mind take that personaly?. Ok if they took the Canadians medals and through them away, that i would understand. But this is just beyond sad...

felixpettersson

Dec 16, 2016
Gothenburg
I hope the team loosing gold does the same in WC. Its there medals, they do what they want with them. Holding in there hands oooh how disrespectfull. I can think of several things much more disrespecfull to hold in your hand. Would not have cared at all if Canada did the same if they lost. How can you in your right mind take that personaly?. Ok if they took the Canadians medals and through them away, that i would understand. But this is just beyond sad...

Its like suspending players for not singing national anthem loud enough

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

They have to were them forever... otherwise. Mega dissrespect . Dahlin clearly didnt were it at all his intervues since that game. So shamefull...

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
f***ing Pejorative Slured.

I understand Andersson getting suspended because of all the Canadians that are crying, but the rest is just ridiculous. Oh well, international hockey has sadly been a complete and utter joke for a long time now.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I can understand suspending Lias Andersson for throwing his medal into the stands (even if the suspension is meaningless). But taking it off and holding it in your hand? 3 games? Bwahaha! I guess they should've threatened to kill the other team instead, then they would only had one game.

If I saw these suspensions and never watched the game or the reason, I would guess the players started a riot or something.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's to set an example for next time

Because it is to stop this from happening in the future.

There should however be a spill over to other IIHF events.

And that is quite stupid. Either send a legitimate message or don't bother. Suspending them from however many international games regardless of the level would send a message. Banning players from a tournament they aren't eligible for means nothing other than that the organizing body is spineless or idiotic. I don't think that the players should be suspended but suspending players who aren't eligible, and specifically avoiding the problem in Dahlin's case, is just laughable. Might as well suspend them from women's tournaments too.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I remember Russia leaving the ice during the Canadian anthem after loosing the 2015 gmg at the WHC did any players get suspended there? I even seem to recall Kovalchuck prompting players that wanted to stay to leave the ice. As I recall Russia got fined but was there actually any suspensions? Because an entire team leaving the ice during another nations anthem in a senior tournament no less, has to be far worse than this.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Did you read the article?

Didn’t answer my question.

“The suspensions will not go into effect for any player or coach participating in the upcoming 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, but will be carried over for the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship or, in Dahlin’s case, the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship. As Dahlin was 17 at the time of the violation his suspension is applicable to the tournament in which his age group is applied.”

We’ll call that the “Dahlin Clause”. Why not the U20 ? What a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00