Speculation: Setoguchi/Clutterbuck - Which one stays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Setoguchi and Clutterbuck's name always seem to come up in proposals since they are our two most tradeable players. However, I feel like only one could be made available. If you had to pick, which one?

Personally - I would trade Setoguchi and keep Clutterbuck. Seto doesn't seem like he wants to stay in Minnesota, and has yet to recreate the 30 goal season he had. I understand he is young but something just tells me he is going to be a 20-30 guy that sees a lot of teams in his career and someone that frustrates the hell out of you. Furthermore, I don't think he can play a bottom 6 role unless you roll three scoring lines.

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
Setoguchi and Clutterbuck's name always seem to come up in proposals since they are our two most tradeable players. However, I feel like only one could be made available. If you had to pick, which one?

Personally - I would trade Setoguchi and keep Clutterbuck. Seto doesn't seem like he wants to stay in Minnesota, and has yet to recreate the 30 goal season he had. I understand he is young but something just tells me he is going to be a 20-30 guy that sees a lot of teams in his career and someone that frustrates the hell out of you. Furthermore, I don't think he can play a bottom 6 role unless you roll three scoring lines.

I think Seto should be able to put up some numbers with Cullen and Granny dishing him the puck.....

I find it hard to believe hes not thrilled to play here with this team we have. He's still young our team is fairly young. Unless its something with management or the cold. :sarcasm:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
The both stay. Maybe not long term but for now. We have Seto signed for a bit longer. And we will resign clutter because well everyone loves him and he is a great 3rd liner I just hope he signs to a decent contract for his ability.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Let us have Setoguchi for Crosby and you can have home boy Niskanen to add a quality, youngish alround D-man at a very sober cap-hit.

If something minor is needed to iron it out, that can be arranged. We'll throw in Lovejoy who is a capable and super cheap number 6-7 D-man.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota

Both are staying for a while. Seto may have initially been upset about the trade, but there is little proof now that he is still unhappy here. Since that trade, the Wild have brought in two of his best buds here in Heater and Mitchell. That tri-fecta was close in San Jose. In fact, Seto and Mitchell lived together for 3 years in Cali. And we still can't draw too many conclusions from his performance last year since he wasn't able to train in the summer due to his accident. We're also a very different team since he joined us...meaning that he not only gets to play with his close friends, but we've also taken a big step towards improving with the addition of Suter and Parise along with the youth (Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, etc) coming up through the pipeline. The outlook has changed quite a bit in a hurry. I'd like to see what he can do, and I'd like to think he's gotta be curious about the new changes.

Next summer may see one of them moving though.

Last edited:

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Let us have Setoguchi for Crosby and you can have home boy Niskanen to add a quality, youngish alround D-man at a very sober cap-hit.

If something minor is needed to iron it out, that can be arranged. We'll throw in Lovejoy who is a capable and super cheap number 6-7 D-man.

satisfied.gif

Billy Mays Here*

Actually I would love to have Niskanen but I don't think Pittsburgh has any interest in giving him up atm. Obviously they'd much rather get rid of Martin instead, but we don't want him.

As for which of the two is getting traded first, I suppose I'd go with Clutter. Two things are going to have to happen for Seto to get traded. One, Heatley will need to be re-signed to preserve his spot in the top 6 and two, Coyle will have to outplay Seto or at least prove he's capable of a top 6 role. I suppose you could also add in an option for a healthy Bouchard being re-signed or Zucker taking a top 6 spot too. As for Clutter, he could be replaced sooner and more easily through Houston. Hell, we could even have Mitchell take his place on the 3rd line and just roll with Palmieri on the 4th line. I like Clutter and all that he brings to this team, but if I had to choose I would imagine he gets traded first. Personally though, I don't think Clutter gets traded at all. I'm thinking we re-sign him for 3 years or so at about $2.25-2.5 million each year.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Can't re-sign them all because if/when one of our prospects hit homerun have to have cash to re-sign them when the time comes.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Actually I would love to have Niskanen but I don't think Pittsburgh has any interest in giving him up atm. Obviously they'd much rather get rid of Martin instead, but we don't want him.

With the Cap staying where it was in the past season in 13-14, our Martin panic has greatly subsided.
Also, should Martin get back to the form he showed his first season as a Pen (never mind the player he was at New Jersey) he is a significantly better player than Niskanen.

Ultimately, Niskanen did very well for us and turned his career around again, but he is in a role where we can replace him with few problems and we need to bring in one or two of the kids anyway.

I honestly don't think Shero would hesitate much if dealing Niskanen solved an issue on the top6. With Setoguchi, most likely it would. At least I think he would fit well with Crosby's pace and we have no other credible RH shot so he would get plenty of PP tickets also.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Can't re-sign them all because if/when one of our prospects hit homerun have to have cash to re-sign them when the time comes.
That's why the countdown is on for Butch and Cullen to come off the books next summer. :nod: I would have added Backstrom with them, but we may need him depending on Harding's situation.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think Clutterbuck has a better chance of sticking around longer term than Setoguchi.

Clutter gives this team more options in that he can move up or down the line-up and he'll still bring his same game regardless of his linemates. Not to mention he's a pretty significant PK piece to this team. Ultimately, I just don't see how Setoguchi earns another contract in Minnesota. If for whatever the reason he blows up, they likely can't afford him. And if he stays on the career trajectory he's currently on, he's not worth re-signing as the Wild will have other options.

Seto is more of a place holder where Clutterbuck is more in the mold of a role player. I think the latter holds more value to this team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Setoguchi. More upside. Clutterbuck has maxed out.

But honestly I think it comes down to turnovers. Clutterbuck has to be #1 in turnovers. Cullen probably #2. Setoguchi #3.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I want to see how Seto plays this year.

They play different styles. Seto has far better offensive skills and even though he can float or be inconsistent, it seems like he still gets his points and goals even when he's having an off night. Clutter's always going to be a 10-15 goal guy who kills penalties and plays a physical game, never going to be an offensive threat.

I lean Seto because he makes a bit more money but could be a 30g/55pt forward with the ice and PP time.

Last edited:

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
They both stay unless the team is tanking, even then maybe. Seto has more upside, but Clutterbuck is a great energy player and a penalty killer. I love the guy and hope he is around for the next 3 years.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I think of it like this...

Players like Setoguchi will win you games, but players like Clutterbuck will win you championships.

Ideallly, I'd like to see Clutterbuck re-signed.

geowild

Mostly Harmless
Jun 22, 2012
Western 'burbs
They both stay unless the team is tanking, even then maybe. Seto has more upside, but Clutterbuck is a great energy player and a penalty killer. I love the guy and hope he is around for the next 3 years.

Hey, my avatar is a Clutterpuck. It'd be a pain in the rear for me if he leaves. :laugh:

I just look at who has trade value on this team if we have to go out and get a real NHL D-man (and we might), and he's largely it (possibly packaged with a prospect, depending on who it is we're going after).

Seto is overpriced right now, until/unless he starts tearing it up in-season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think of it like this...

Players like Setoguchi will win you games, but players like Clutterbuck will win you championships.

Ideallly, I'd like to see Clutterbuck re-signed.
Yeah, not going to agree with that. It all depends.

Clutterbuck on a 4th line? 10 minutes a night. He could be perfect. Light the fire on the team. Get big hits. Score a few goals by effort alone. Great. He could "win you championships" in that situation.

Clutterbuck on 3rd line? Well, now he's playing 17 minutes a night. He's expect to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. He's got to be able to pass to his teammates. He's got to make smart plays and be in the right position. He's got got got got got to get the puck out of the defensive zone when it comes up the boards. He's got to play well with the 3rd line center.

I don't really see Clutterbuck doing much of those "3rd line" activities well. He turns the puck over. He has trouble breaking the puck out. He isn't great at winning puck battles on the boards because his stick is too long. He can't pass for ****. He'll take a bad shot in favor of getting the puck to an open linemate. His hits get him out of position. And he can't cycle.

Mumbler*

Yeah, not going to agree with that. It all depends.

Clutterbuck on a 4th line? 10 minutes a night. He could be perfect. Light the fire on the team. Get big hits. Score a few goals by effort alone. Great. He could "win you championships" in that situation.

Clutterbuck on 3rd line? Well, now he's playing 17 minutes a night. He's expect to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. He's got to be able to pass to his teammates. He's got to make smart plays and be in the right position. He's got got got got got to get the puck out of the defensive zone when it comes up the boards. He's got to play well with the 3rd line center.

I don't really see Clutterbuck doing much of those "3rd line" activities well. He turns the puck over. He has trouble breaking the puck out. He isn't great at winning puck battles on the boards because his stick is too long. He can't pass for ****. He'll take a bad shot in favor of getting the puck to an open linemate. His hits get him out of position. And he can't cycle.

I totally agree. I have nothing against clutterbuck but he isn't winning anyone anything.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I want to see how Seto plays this year.

This.

Of all the players that benefit from our fancy new additions (which is every one who belongs on a NHL roster) Seto has the most to gain. He is a tweener who should never see first line ice time (or defensive match ups). Give him less attention, put him with a playmaker, and see if we can't get 25 goals (per 82 gms) out of this guy.

I don't think that he will ever have 30g again but 25g/25a is acceptable for a second liner. If he doesn't hit that one of our prospects will take his place and he can go back to Cali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad