News Article: Seth Jones wants to be the next team Captain (upd: Hawks waiting until at least 2024 to name a new captain)

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'll honestly say I think Seth would be a fantastic captain. He is always very welcoming with teammates, he's great with the media and he was the one calling Bedard, Moore, etc pretty much all the draft picks welcoming them to the org. Good work ethic, he plays hard.. he's a guy I have 0 issues with as a leader.

But this is Bedard's team. Sorry Seth, but contract obligations aren't enough.

Reactions: Esq and HawksDub89

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
f*** no. Even if Bedard wasn't here, Im sure an inconsistent, often lackadaisical guy who's not that good at defending would be great captain material. /s

But anyway, complete trivial, because Bedard is here. I hope it's just media talk from him, otherwise I'm not sure what he was thinking.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I know this will not go over well with some of my fellow Hawks fans - but I actually like Seth and think he would make a fine captain. There are, however, extenuating circumstances that need to be considered - the main being the anticipated captaincy of Bedard in a year or two, and the second being the longevity of Seth's contract.

I have reservations with the notion of "earmarking" the captaincy for a player who hasn't yet played a game in the NHL - kind of a "cart before the horse" thing. Generally, presumption is a cautionary tale in waiting and in this case it does make me cautious.

Glad this decision is above my pay grade.

Reactions: crazyhawk

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
No captain should be -37 followed by -38 in consecutive seasons as the#1D and paid for doing better than tat.sorry..a horrible example to the yutes how not to play effective hockey..Either he has to mitigate that by much mich better offense in thec5x5 ...or he must be much better in goalsprevention when on shifts at evens...we lose too many games due to hom being on for toomey goals agIbst in All situations...he just does not defend well in hos positioning,decision-making i g...reaction tome and on finishing hos checks fully (not partially y)..a bad example for our yutes to emulate ..They be a lot more proficient defending their checks that S.Jones has been and likely will co tinue to be
. HEIGHT mask his defendesive lapses if the Hawks produce more offensively when he is on ...that would reduce the negatives in his plus /minus ...Bit it probably never will change his defensive FLAWS...he is
what he will always be as defender....woefully inadequate.. and so wanting to be the Hawks captInand leader is a admirable desire...but given his defensive flaws,a bit too moch chutzpah...The Hawks should tell him to fix his defending before any consideration of putting his name in the. ring for pisdible captaincy.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
How many hockey guys does it take to change tge light bulb?
..apparently it take 8 ...
Hawks expanded their analytics depth. By 2...from 6 to 8 persons...I guess it takes 8 analytics experts to tell Hawks GM that tgere is something drastically wrong with Seth Jones posting consecutive seasons of one if the worst plus/minus stats in the NHL.

Reactions: Drumman44

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think no C this year is fine. Before alot of teams did not have 1 until they had the correct person. to early for bedard and seth is a ok player his tenure with the black hawks was very bad from a record stand point. his first 3 years with hawks we will probably have the worst record i 5th, 3rd, and more then likely bottom 3-4 this year. which team is going to have a worst 3 year record then that?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've said for a few years now that Jones' value to the team will in part be to guide along all the young players as they learn and grow. Him as C wouldn't be the worst thing. I'm not sure how that fits in with Bedard.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Honestly I wouldn't mind this. Dont really see why Bedard would have to be captain for at least like the first 5 years of his career. It takes some pressure off of the kid and allows him to just play and lets Jones deal with the media, extra obligations, etc.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The one thing Zawaski said and I completely agree with. The guy on this team who SHOULD be captain is Connor Murphy. Been here the longest, noone can question how hard he plays, great mentor and leadership with the young players, etc.

If the Hawks decide to give him the C for 2 years then Bedard can step in afterwards, I wouldn't have any issues. Although part of me wants to see Bedard become the youngest captain now only in Hawks history, but NHL history.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
The one thing Zawaski said and I completely agree with. The guy on this team who SHOULD be captain is Connor Murphy. Been here the longest, noone can question how hard he plays, great mentor and leadership with the young players, etc.

If the Hawks decide to give him the C for 2 years then Bedard can step in afterwards, I wouldn't have any issues. Although part of me wants to see Bedard become the youngest captain now only in Hawks history, but NHL history.

I'd also be fine with that. It's nice to have Murph and his vet presence and continuity.

But I hardly see a world where he gets extended again. Which is unfortunate actually, he's been in losing situations his whole career and by the time we're going to get good at again, he'll be off again. Hopefully to a contender and he gets his chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad