Seth Jones Power Play

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Am I going crazy or does it seem like Seth Jones damn near refuses to pass to Bedard on the PP?? I have been watching this for the season and notice Bedard open up for a pass only to see Jones look off him and clap a shot into the forwards shin pads in front of him. I feel like this has been an ongoing issue and wanted to see if I am only one noticing it?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Am I going crazy or does it seem like Seth Jones damn near refuses to pass to Bedard on the PP?? I have been watching this for the season and notice Bedard open up for a pass only to see Jones look off him and clap a shot into the forwards shin pads in front of him. I feel like this has been an ongoing issue and wanted to see if I am only one noticing it?
It's talked about pretty regularly in just about every single GDT. We've been complaining about it all season. Bedard should be QBing the PP and it's Jones, most the time, just firing shots off shin pads. And Richardson has let it go on for a full season without correcting it, for some stupid f***ing reason.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I just want to say to Seth....get it to Bedard and collect the assist. Not the nothing you get off the shin pads. But.....he obviously doesn't have much hockey sense.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Jones shoukd be used for thex1 thing he does well but is notcalkwedctobdo..He can go straight forward carrying the puck into thevo-zobexwith Power ...Once there he should let other Hawks handle the puck..He ibstradxshoukdvoark at the crease for a net screen and havoc space creator si tgatvirgers van score whike hevis shoving with the dmen at tge crease..He has no other hockey skills or smarts...And drfebsiveky he has no concept of defending ..Hevis in fact quite brainless..bit tgere still is use in what he can do...should do if Lkowed..that is bexa power forward.. create space and havoc not to finish or assist himself but to facikiatecspacexandctine for others to score..Except the stupid coaches cannot see this and insist on using hom in the wrong position and the wrong role ..

He cannot do well what he is supposed to do in the role they give hom...He couldcdp well I the proper role they should be using him in.

This is the tragedy of ol' $9.5.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I dont think Seth Jones has a problem with Bedard, I just think he’s a very stupid hockey player all around.
I haven't noticed it myself .... but does Seth realize ops are keying on Bedard and things can open up if he doesn't feed him when it isn't the best play?

Nah, it takes away from the narrative.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I haven't noticed it myself .... but does Seth realize ops are keying on Bedard and things can open up if he doesn't feed him when it isn't the best play?

This might carry some weight... if Seth didn't just blindly fire it into the forward's shin pads standing in front of him. He ALWAYS has a forward in front of him up in his grill because they know he's awful at getting his shot through. Bedard is regularly open on the point or half boards on the Hawks PP.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I don't like when they have Bedard somewhat stapled to one side on the powerplay. It seems to work best when he's moving around out there opening up passing lanes and shooting lanes and keeping the opposing team guessing.

Him being stapled to one area makes the powerplay easier to defend against. I hope that when a new coach comes in and the team inevitably becomes more competitive, then they'll have Bedard moving around out there more on the powerplay.

The potential is there, the roster as it stands isn't. Yet.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I don't like when they have Bedard somewhat stapled to one side on the powerplay. It seems to work best when he's moving around out there opening up passing lanes and shooting lanes and keeping the opposing team guessing.

Him being stapled to one area makes the powerplay easier to defend against. I hope that when a new coach comes in and the team inevitably becomes more competitive, then they'll have Bedard moving around out there more on the powerplay.

The potential is there, the roster as it stands isn't. Yet.
Last few games teams have been working hard to shut off the option of Bedard carrying the puck along the line on the PP and attacking from that angle on the other wing. They need to try to get him into those positions off-puck but unfortunately he's one of the only reliable puckhandling options even at 5 on 4. It's just too easy for opponents to press on the PK against this roster as it's currently constructed

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West

what Narrative? I have no issues with Seth Jones other than on PP he seems to play selfish hockey and look for his own shots instead of passing to wide open Connor Bedard. Like multiple games I have literally watched him look at Bedard whose stick is up in air and is wide open only for Seth Jones to look off him and then fire the puck directly into Forward standing 5ft in front of him...I have no agenda w/Seth Jones and its why I asked if I was only one noticing it.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Seth Jones' PeePee.
1711465879643.gif

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

I don't think Seth realizes anything out there. He just puts his head down and hopes for the best most of the time. Awareness is not his strong suit.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The pp minutes hurt.

I think much of Seth's failings are on how he's used, and primarily how everybody else is being used. The team went a large part of last year and much of this year without anybody moving away from the puck once they got in the neutral zone. No forecheck, forwards visibly looking for their defensive assignments when they actually had the puck, etc.

I wonder how much is Jones making bad decisions and how much is that he's the only one allowed/tolerated to drive the offense not named Bedard.

He forces too much for so much of the frustrating stuff NOT to be on the staff. How the hell did Torts trust him if he didn't have a good hockey sense or ability to execute Tort's system?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The word went out from LR to shoot more and it appears Seth has taken that to heart. Unfortunately he doesn't have a good shot (even given the 2 goals he scored against San Jose) and there are 4 other guys on the PP with him who all have better shots than him and therefore should be shooting before him. Given the position he plays on the PP he needs to be a threat to shoot - no doubt - but too often his shots are not quality shots - as in when there is a lane to shoot AND there is obstruction in front of the goalie. He doesn't have a cannon shot that can blow past the goalie if the goalie can see it coming - but he takes those shots anyway which is the reason he should be replaced on PP#1 by KK.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The word went out from LR to shoot more and it appears Seth has taken that to heart. Unfortunately he doesn't have a good shot (even given the 2 goals he scored against San Jose) and there are 4 other guys on the PP with him who all have better shots than him and therefore should be shooting before him. Given the position he plays on the PP he needs to be a threat to shoot - no doubt - but too often his shots are not quality shots - as in when there is a lane to shoot AND there is obstruction in front of the goalie. He doesn't have a cannon shot that can blow past the goalie if the goalie can see it coming - but he takes those shots anyway which is the reason he should be replaced on PP#1 by KK.

And Tyler Johnson provides nothing on the PP, either. There's no reason Reichel shouldn't be fed PP#1 minutes.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Last few games teams have been working hard to shut off the option of Bedard carrying the puck along the line on the PP and attacking from that angle on the other wing. They need to try to get him into those positions off-puck but unfortunately he's one of the only reliable puckhandling options even at 5 on 4. It's just too easy for opponents to press on the PK against this roster as it's currently constructed
Of course. All teams look at films knowing the PP will be designed around Bedard (getting in shooting positions). It also helps immensely to have the talent to execute and currently, Hawks lack it.

Hawks fans complained for years about Keith on the point and now it's Seth. It is up to the coaching staff to get the players moving around and to take what the ops give you. It is so easy to call it from living room chairs, however. It also helps immensely to have the talent to execute, something the current roster is lacking.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Of course. All teams look at films knowing the PP will be designed around Bedard (getting in shooting positions).

Hawks fans complained for years about Keith on the point and now it's Seth. It is up to the coaching staff to get the players moving around and to take what the ops give you. It is so easy to call it from living room chairs, however.

I'm not sure why you always go to this silliness. For one, everyone is watching the same game that the coach is, so if we see something, he definitely should. For two, a very large number of people on here have played high level hockey for a large chunk of their lives. It's not like this is a bunch of random fans talking about this stuff...

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
KK is a teenager and from what I can see he doesn't have that great of a shot but sure, give him a shot. Personally, I don't think that alone would do much good but what the hell. There's nothing to lose.
That said, I still think Seth would be so much better (in all aspects) if he had some talent to play with. Too often, he tries to do too much.

Reactions: BHFAN92

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
KK is a teenager and from what I can see he doesn't have that great of a shot but sure, give him a shot. Personally, I don't think that alone would do much good but what the hell. There's nothing to lose.
That said, I still think Seth would be so much better (in all aspects) if he had some talent to play with. Too often, he tries to do too much.

He's on PP1, and has a D partner that is actually better than he is at just about every facet of the game. He plays with the most talent that you can play with on this team, on a regular basis.

As far as KK, he may not have as good of a shot as Jones, but he skates well, is shifty, and knows how to get that shot through to the net. Unlike Mr. Shinpad Tester.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad