Pre-Game Talk: SENS vs Leafs tonight ons SportsNet

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Again for you to make the claim that this is the worst d corps of the last decade you should back it up. You can’t, because the season hasn’t happened yet. If we give up the most goals out of any team over the last decade, THEN and only then can you make that claim. Right now you’re stating a guess as a fact. Your prediction is that they will end up being the worst d corps. That’s it. Let the season play out. To me, some of the sabres and leafs teams over the last few years before the leafs were good will hold that claim. Especially the McDavid draft year sabres
How about you show and explain your proof that we are worse defensively with Karlsson. That would be a great read I'm sure.

My prediction is we are about to open the season with the worst starting D in the past 10 years. Full stop.

I did back it up, explained how each player is in over his head and/or not an NHL D man. You have yet to do anything aside from say I'm wrong because....I'm not even sure.

If you're asking me to counter how Ceci/Chabot/Boro/Wideman/Wolanin/DeMelo/Harper are worse than Ristolinen/Georges/Myers/Meszaros/Weber/Zadorov/Benoit and every other bad D core of the past decade, not sure what to tell you.

Again, no team has opened up a season with a D core as bad as the Sens are currently doing in the past 10 years, that should be pretty common knowledge. .

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We have potential on defense with Chabot, Wolanin, Lajoie, Jaros (and then JBD and Tychonick)

Problem, they are all still very young with little pro experience.

I doubt that any of Englund, Bergman, DeMelo and Harpur (that looked more promising at one point) will be more than 6th, 7th or cup-of-coffee D-men.

All of this is pretty unfair to Ceci and Wideman.

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Harpur/Boro-Wideman
DeMelo

That defense would have made a lot more sense in a year you don't have your 1st round pick. But Melnyk doesn't seem to care about that... At least until the deadline to give the young guys more experience?
Our pipeline has pretty good pieces in JBD/Jaros/Tychonik/Lajoie, I;m talking specifically about our current starting roster. It is downright scary bad.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lajoie should be on the team now by the looks of him. He, Wolanin, and Chabot obviously would help ease the D pain collectively. But then we’d still have Beavis and Butthead to contend with in Ceci, and DeMelo.

Boro on the left side to contend with as well.. I like Lajoie's game better than Boro's but .. Narc will be in the starting 6 most nights.
Jaros made a couple of risky reads and got caught but I like him better than Demelo. His mistakes can be corrected and he is much better skater than Demelo. Lajoie will get sent down .. He has Boro and Harpur (1 way) in front of him.

Likely
Chabot Ceci
Boro Wideman
Wolanin Demelo
Harpur

Does Demelo need to clear waivers? I don't think he does.

-------------------------------------

My expectations are Harpur, Boro and Demelo are all up. Lajoie and Jaros get sent down. Not what I would do but that's what I expect.
They should trade Boro .He is a 6/7 on an average team and some teams may be looking for the edge he brings .. Sens don't need his play now. Move Wolanin up with Wideman .. they are a little undersized but .. I'd like to try them. Send Demelo down.

What I'd do
Chabot Wideman
Wolanin Ceci
Lajoie Jaros
Harpur

Reactions: Frank8 and Vprime

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
Here's a quick review of many of the more interesting players.

First, there's Tkachuk. While he didn't score, and took a questionable penalty, he and Stone looked quite dangerous together throughout the game. He had some good chances, nice setups, and powerful checks but unfortunately didn't get on the board in spite of that. What Tkachuk needs to learn from this is that he just needs to play his game. Sometimes you won't get the puck luck, or just have a down game, but always try just hard the next game, if not harder, even when results don't immediately show up.

Second Chlapik. He was definitely our best player tonight and made the Leafs D look like pylons a few times. It's funny how his name is rarely mentioned yet he seems to know this and tries to constantly remind us that he's a quality prospect. I think with more ice time he could have a bigger effect than he did last year. Hopefully, he can have an impact.

Third, the AMAZING MAIN PIECE IN THE KARLSSON RETURN Balcer. Sarcasm aside he did actually play fairly well. This seemed to be a game where he would do all the little things right, as he was being pretty cautious in most situations. Some might say a bit too cautious, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty nervous in a new city with a new system. Hopefully, it doesn't take him too long to regain confidence. I could honestly see him being a bit of a surprise on the roster this year but only if he puts everything together at the right time, which is unlikely with our luck and terrible management.

Fourth Lajoie. It was kind of funny to see Lajoie play arguably better than Ceci, although playing better than Ceci doesn't warrant high praise, but I digress. Lajoie was very solid at both ends of the ice and played a relaxing game. I wasn't really worried when he was at the point in the O-zone or defending in the D-zone unless the opposition moved to Ceci's side. I think he's another dark horse to make the team, but only if he keeps this up throughout pre-season and displays a lot of skill in Belleville.

Fifth Jaros. This game Jaros really didn't pop up as much but at times that's what you want from a D. He seems pretty defensively solid and physically solid. I still think he needs to bit more growth but I could honestly see him becoming a shut-down 4D. That could take a season or two, or could just not happen so we'll have to see. I also LOVED the atrocious play by Harpur to put Jaros in an impossible position. Speaking of Harpur...

Sixth Harpur. Jesus christ has he fallen. Back in the Rangers series, I thought Harpur might be the second coming of Methot. hahaahHAHAHAHA. I would compare Harpur to a vegetable as he is arguably brain dead. He makes such poor decisions consistently in the defensive zone that make him so frusterating to watch. If I was Dorion of Boucher this man would not see a second of NHL time until he re-proved himself in Bellville. He is however on a 1-way so we'll see how that turns out.

That's pretty much the "highlight" players as the rest went from above average to terrible.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I fully expect that FACTS will fall on deaf ears around here. Who needs facts when you have emotional breakdowns?

For reference over the past 5 seasons:
Buffalo 2014-15 (last in NHL) -113
Colorado 2016-17 (last in NHL) -112
Arizona 2014-15 (2nd last in NHL) -102
Buffalo 2013-14 (last in NHL) -91
Edmonton 2014-15 (3rd last in NHL) -85
Buffalo 2017-18 (last in NHL) -81
Florida 2013-14 (2nd last NHL) -72
Ottawa 2017-18 (2nd last NHL) -70
Arizona 2016-17 (3rd last NHL) -63
New Jersey 2016-17 (last in EC) -61
Vancouver 2015-16 (3rd last NHL) -52
Toronto 2015-16 (last in NHL) -48

There's a few more teams in the 60s and 50s just not quite last place teams.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
As always, for those who missed the game (ranked from best to worst):

FORWARDS:

1. Filip Chlapik
: Best player in Belleville last season, best player on the ice tonight. No reason why this guy shouldn’t be in the NHL at this point. He’s ready and more than any other prospect, deserves to be placed in a position to succeed in the top 6 or the top 9.

2. Mark Stone: Not his best game, but even when not at his best, Mark Stone is still Mark Stone. Showed flashes of dominance and will get better as he finds his rhythm through preseason.

3. Brady Tkachuk: Good game. Would have liked to see more of the skill side than the agitator side as shown in both the rookies and summer camps, but it was still a solid debut.

4. Chris Tierney: Excellent game on both ends of the ice. No high end skill, but good, honest player all around. Will be a solid stop gap at center and eventually a nice trade asset when the young guys are ready to take over.

5. Zack Smith: Not my favorite player by a long shot, but gotta give it to the guy. He played a very good game within his limitations tonight.

6. Magnus Paajarvi: The perfect 4th liner if you ask me.

7. Rudolf Balcers: The skill is obvious there, but he made alot of odd decisions and plays with the puck on his stick or around him. We shall put this one on nerves.

8. Tom Pyatt: Same old good 4th liner. Might still be a third or second line guy under Boucher.

9. Ben Sexton: Very skilled AHLer that probably should remain in the AHL.

10. Paul Carey: Skilled AHLer that should remain in the AHL.

11. Jack Skille: One egregious mistake that directly led to a goal, but otherwise decent game and strong effort. That being said, with the amount of forward prospects knocking on the door, it doesn’t look like there’s much of a spot.

12. Joseph Labate: Why bother? Character?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
As always, for those who missed the game (ranked from best to worst):

FORWARDS:

12. Joseph Labate: Why bother? Character?

Melnyk's janitor who is replacing good friend Boro locker room eyes and ears.

I have always liked Chlapik, him and Jaros have always left an impression. Chlapik looks like a stronger version of Dzingel with better finish. And as a strong proponet of Zinger on this site, you know that's a high praise. And he is far from a finished product, but his time is now in the NHL.

Why was Brown scratched in back to back games?

Sarcasm...duh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Puikiou

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Again, no team has opened up a season with a D core as bad as the Sens are currently doing in the past 10 years, that should be pretty common knowledge. .

I don't think something subjective can be qualified as "common knowledge"

Also, to add to that debate, here's the teams goals against in the last 10 years. Ironically, the Sens have the 4th worst in that list, in 2017-18, when Karlsson was on the team.

NHL.com - Stats

I would bet that, even though it doesn't look good on paper, they're going to do a little bit better than last year.

I've been around the NHL for a long time and I have seen this a lot. A good example was 2012-13 and how terrible the Sens were supposed to be (particularly after Karlsson went down), and the Sens were 2nd in GA.

Gonchar (38 y/o and was criticized a lot on HF Sens)
Methot (so basically our only guy who was viewed positively here, and was still a blackhole offensively)
Phillips (34 y/o, another guy who was lambasted around these parts)
Wiercioch (rookie season)
Cowen (injured too, only 7 games)
Gryba
Benoit
Lundin
Borowiecki

Imagine what people were saying...

Our pipeline has pretty good pieces in JBD/Jaros/Tychonik/Lajoie, I;m talking specifically about our current starting roster. It is downright scary bad.

No, I totally know you are talking about the starting roster, but I'm just discussing here, not saying you are right or wrong.

So back on the subject, I think you see it as the "worst starting D in the past 10 years" because you don't expect the young players to be good enough, which I totally understand because D-men are typically not in their prime or close to it in their first pro seasons.

If Chabot and Wolanin are good, I think we can escape that non enviable title. And of course, the goalies will have to be much more solid than they were last year.

#? : Chabot
#? : Wolanin
#4 : Ceci
#5 : Wideman
#6-7 : Harpur, Borowiecki, DeMelo

So basically, you need a #1, #2, #3 and you only have Chabot and Wolanin who might be ready to fill those roles. Lajoie is good but he needs another year in the AHL and won't be able to be a Top-4 right away, if ever... If only we had a #1 to help out Chabot and Wolanin :sarcasm:

For these games to be as close as they were you have to thank Guy Boucher. He is an amazing coach.

Ok get this troll out of here.

For a team that hasn't won a single playoffs round in 15 years, you guys sure are cocky :laugh:

Reactions: Magic Man

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Also, to add to that debate, here's the teams goals against in the last 10 years. Ironically, the Sens have the 4th worst in that list, in 2017-18, when Karlsson was on the team.

NHL.com - Stats

I would bet that, even though it doesn't look good on paper, they're going to do a little bit better than last year.

I've been around the NHL for a long time and I have seen this a lot. A good example was 2012-13 and how terrible the Sens were supposed to be (particularly after Karlsson went down), and the Sens were 2nd in GA.

Methot (so basically our only guy who was viewed positively here, and was still a blackhole offensively)
Gryba
Benoit
Lundin
Borowiecki

No, I totally know you are talking about the starting roster, but I'm just discussing here, not saying you are right or wrong.

So back on the subject, I think you see it as the "worst starting D in the past 10 years" because you don't expect the young players to be good enough, which I totally understand because D-men are typically not in their prime or close to it in their first pro seasons.

If Chabot and Wolanin are good, I think we can escape that non enviable title. And of course, the goalies will have to be much more solid than they were last year.

#2 : Wolanin

So basically, you need a #1, #2, #3 and you only have Chabot and Wolanin who might be ready to fill those roles. Lajoie is good but he needs another year in the AHL and won't be able to be a Top-4 right away, if ever... If only we had a #1 to help out Chabot and Wolanin :sarcasm:

For a team that hasn't won a single playoffs round in 15 years, you guys sure are cocky :laugh:
:laugh:

You guys sure take compliments poorly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

NHL.com - Stats

Gryba
Benoit
Lundin
Borowiecki

#2 : Wolanin

Well, last years team and the state of our current team is the reason I'm predicting such a bad result.

Yeah that season being 48 games helped us out immensely.

Let's forget the 10 year aspect, The Sens are going into this season with the worst D core in the league.

I don't know, expecting Wolanin to be a top 4 D this year, let alone a #2, is a bit far fetched to me.

Here's hoping, would go a long way.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
DEFENSEMEN:

1. Maxime Lajoie: Best defenseman on the ice tonight by far. As always, steady, almost mistake free hockey. Strength, skating, poise, passing and defensive play are all at an NHL level. The only questions left are: ''how high is the offensive ceiling?’’ & ''How much can the shot improve?’’

2. Christian Jaros: Excellent. Few mistakes, here and there, but overall, very good showing. Still might need some reps in the AHL to settle into his game, but just as Lajoie, he’s a diamond in the rough.

3. Cody Ceci: Third best defenseman in a lineup that featured a single established NHLer.

4. Julius Bergman: Decent. If he ever makes it, it’ll be as a 6/7th defensive defenseman by the looks of it. Still, looking forward to get a better picture in Belleville this season.

5. Ben Harpur: Same old Harps. Big tall pillow pilon getting danced around by any half-skilled player, taking himself out of position and passing the puck to the opposition. Blows my mind that he’ll touch an NHL ice surface this season because he’s big.

6. Andreas Englund: Career AHLer if you ask me. Didn’t see NHL upside then, don’t see it now.

GOALIES:

1. Craig Anderson: He looked good. Big, patient and steady in net. The team will need him this season and based on this performance, he’s off to a good start.

2. Mike McKenna: Average AHL goalie performing at the expected standard. Will help Gustavsson with that character while Hogberg gets the bulk of the starts in Wichita I guess.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

NHL.com - Stats

Gryba
Benoit
Lundin
Borowiecki

#? : Wolanin

Wolanin is no where near being ready to fill a #2 or 3 spot.

I feel pretty confident our defensive results will get worse from last year. If we dont have a least a -80 goal differential, I'll be shocked.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
2. Mike McKenna: Average AHL goalie performing at the expected standard. Will help Gustavsson with that character while Hogberg gets the bulk of the starts in Wichita I guess.

I think the Sens have Brampton all to themselves this season after Montreal left them. So Hogberg would play there. Wichita changed affiliation to Edmonton.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Andreas Englund is perfect for the way the game was played back in 1997. Bangin' bodies around, whackin' pucks and rackin' up minuses. He's basically Ben Harpur but even worse.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I pretty much expect most games this season to go like the past 2. Trouble scoring. Special teams a bit better but nothing significant. Hanging our goalies out to dry. Losing games multiple goals to 1.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah Lajoie looks real good. I'm very torn on whether I want him in Ottawa right now though. He's probably one of the 6 best D but if he can play 25 minutes in Belleville for a few months in all situations would likely be more beneficial until he's needed when there's injuries/trades.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad