Pre-Game Talk: SENS strike down Tampa, Thurs, 7:30 pm on TSN

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No idea, but some Rugby player just decided to amputate half his finger instead of having it heal so he could be ready for the season. Might be a good option for Bobby.

Boucher said in the post game presser that it wasn't broken, but Ryan couldn't close his hand on the stick. Status is in question for next game but if he can't suit up Chlapik will come in.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
How will you feel when we finish dead last and Edmonton wins the lotto anyway....

Any true Sens fans knows that 100% we would not get the first overall pick if we finished dead last, how ever many spots you can be bumped back is where we would pick!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
There has got to be some disconnect between game planning or management or something. We're a team that plays tight defensively that seems to like to play for the Overtime games. Boucher in the past has thrown out guys like Pageau and Pyatt in heavy deployment in OT games. This leads the Sens to have a more than average proportion of their games go to shootout (10 last year).

Why then do we keep getting rid of all the good shootout players we have? Not to re-hash the entire trade all over again, but consider that just accounting for his ability in the shootout, trading Turris may have cost us 2 or 3 points directly in the standings. Especially when we're using guys like Pyatt. It's definitely not the most important thing to consider in a trade...but it is a part of the game and one that we seem to actively aim to participate in. Yet we've traded all our best shutout guys over the past 5 years except Bobby who we're married to (Spezza, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Turris).

Haha in all honesty this is probably just finding something new to rag on about the team after a loss, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Tundraman

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The team played well against the best team in the NHL, despite the 3 blown leads.

Everything is riding on the next 4 games, imo. You go 3-0-1, or win all 4, and you probably leap frog the Panthers and the Habs. Also, 2 of those games are against the Bruins.

If we lose 2 or 3 of those games in regulation, then the team would have to pull off a miraculous run. As it stands, we already need a winning percentage similar to that of Vegas' or Tampa's to make the playoffs. Kind of doable. But that would increase depending on what the end of December holds...

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
There has got to be some disconnect between game planning or management or something. We're a team that plays tight defensively that seems to like to play for the Overtime games. Boucher in the past has thrown out guys like Pageau and Pyatt in heavy deployment in OT games. This leads the Sens to have a more than average proportion of their games go to shootout (10 last year).

Why then do we keep getting rid of all the good shootout players we have? Not to re-hash the entire trade all over again, but consider that just accounting for his ability in the shootout, trading Turris may have cost us 2 or 3 points directly in the standings. Especially when we're using guys like Pyatt. It's definitely not the most important thing to consider in a trade...but it is a part of the game and one that we seem to actively aim to participate in. Yet we've traded all our best shutout guys over the past 5 years except Bobby who we're married to (Spezza, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Turris).

Haha in all honesty this is probably just finding something new to rag on about the team after a loss, but it is what it is.

Duchene is supposed to be just as good in the shootouts as Turris was. He's at a 36% success rate over his career, made a nice move last night but couldn't quite get it up. Turris is at 36.5% for his career.
In fairness to Pyatt, he has scored for us twice in the shootout before.
I know earlier in the year Boucher talked about how our healthy shootout lineup was Ryan, Turris and Karlsson. I assume Duchene replaces Turris, and since Ryan was hurt and Pyatt scored his last time in the shootout, he got another chance.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The team played well against the best team in the NHL, despite the 3 blown leads.

Everything is riding on the next 4 games, imo. You go 3-0-1, or win all 4, and you probably leap frog the Panthers and the Habs. Also, 2 of those games are against the Bruins.

If we lose 2 or 3 of those games in regulation, then the team would have to pull off a miraculous run. As it stands, we already need a winning percentage similar to that of Vegas' or Tampa's to make the playoffs. Kind of doable. But that would increase depending on what the end of December holds...
The team played well in the first. After that it was complete domination by Tampa. The shot attempts were 77 to 28. We were fortunate to get a single point.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The team played well in the first. After that it was complete domination by Tampa. The shot attempts were 77 to 28. We were fortunate to get a single point.

I still can't figure out how we can play well one period and be a complete dumpster fire the rest of a game. It can't all be fatigue from overplaying Karlsson and some other guys, and it can't always be the other team just flipping a switch because it just seems to happen too often.

edit:

Looking back, great 1st against Tbay last night, dominated the Pens in the 1st when returning from Sweden, good for half a game against the Wild, good against the rangers till we went into protect mode in the 3rd, I'm sure there have been more examples, we just seem like a jekyll and hyde team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tundraman

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I still can't figure out how we can play well one period and be a complete dumpster fire the rest of a game. It can't all be fatigue from overplaying Karlsson and some other guys, and it can't always be the other team just flipping a switch because it just seems to happen too often.

edit:

Looking back, great 1st against Tbay last night, dominated the Pens in the 1st when returning from Sweden, good for half a game against the Wild, good against the rangers till we went into protect mode in the 3rd, I'm sure there have been more examples, we just seem like a jekyll and hyde team.
Perhaps it's the opposition's ability to adjust to Bouchers system after a period. Doesn't seem like the Sens (in particular Boucher) have an answer for the counter.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014

I am thinking that we lose those two bruins games coming up we are done. I am always optimistic on this board but if we don't win, I'm thinking that is it for our chances at controlling our own destiny, too much of a thing for us to win 3 of 4 games going forward and rely on everyone else to lose...
But they have proved up wrong before.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

edit:

That was also a feature of Sens teams in years past. Unsustainable play.

Is it the other guys figuring out the system early? Is it a mental thing where we can't stay focused?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

edit:

I think it is indicative of a lack of leadership on the bench honestly.

The players seem to go off course very easily.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think it is indicative of a lack of leadership on the bench honestly.

The players seem to go off course very easily.
Its also largely because the system is designed to be passive and allows the opposition to dictate the pace. We play the second most time in our own end of all NHL teams. Couple that with rhe overall lack of depth that Boicher trusts and the team is worn down by the 3rd. It might get worse as the season goes on because those guys we lean so heavily on will get more and more run down.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Its also largely because the system is designed to be passive and allows the opposition to dictate the pace. We play the second most time in our own end of all NHL teams. Couple that with rhe overall lack of depth that Boicher trusts and the team is worn down by the 3rd. It might get worse as the season goes on because those guys we lean so heavily on will get more and more run down.

It's mostly because once we get a lead, or are tied halfway through the game, we go into protective mode, which doesn't work anymore since we're not good enough to protect a lead through half a game(hell, no team really is).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad