Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Scott Gomez to one-way, $575,000 deal

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
You are making a quantum leap with this statement.

If Gomez has these intangibles you seem to believe he brings, they are obviously far outweighed by his diminished skill or he wouldn't have gone through 4 NHL teams in the past 4 years, ending up in the AHL.

You make it sound like the young guys will sit around cross legged looking up at Scott Gomez starry eyed sucking up his war stories over the next 32 days.

Truth is that isn't likely to be the case at all, nor is it likely Gomez will feel comfortable enough to say much with the likes of Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ryan, Neil and Boro in the room.

However you believe what you want to believe. :nod:

Now I am not sure what position has to do with anything I said, but it is entirely irrelevant.

Fact is Paul can play center and Puempel on the wing, just as it was Tuesday.

So there was no need for Gomez which is exactly what Murray said in his interview Monday afternoon.

Trust me I have a great respect for experience, but experience alone means nothing other than telling stories about the past.

Fact is, we have 3 games in 4 days and 12 'healthy' forwards without Gomez.
Puempel is coming back from a recent injury (which is the reason given for today's scratch). Stone and Lazar are banged up to an unknown degree from Tuesday. Ryan's obviously hurt. Who says all these bodies hold up?

The cupboard is pretty bare in Bingo right now, and they still need bodies to actually play their games too. Not to mention we're already playing with what, 3 rookies and 3 second year players as it is up front?

Signing Gomez costs nothing other than a small portion of an NHL minimum salary.

So honestly, get over it. It doesn't hurt anything, and there's potential for gain.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Paul is most likely going to be sent back down so his contract doesn't slide and Mac is going to be a couple more weeks.

That is why Gomez was signed.

If Mac came back, Smith would go back to the bottom six center position and Gomez most likely wouldn't have been signed.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This isn't about contracts sliding. This is about young players being volatile and sometimes having bad games.

It doesn't hurt to have someone who can take their minutes.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Me thinks a guy who is good at making others players look good will be good for rookies

Maybe we'll make Gomez a coach for us after he retires :P

Last edited by a moderator:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Paul is most likely going to be sent back down so his contract doesn't slide and Mac is going to be a couple more weeks.

That is why Gomez was signed.

If Mac came back, Smith would go back to the bottom six center position and Gomez most likely wouldn't have been signed.

Paul's contract can't slide.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Has Gomez hit 1000 games yet? I really don't wanna see him signed for any more amount of time just so he can hit it with us

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Has Gomez hit 1000 games yet? I really don't wanna see him signed for any more amount of time just so he can hit it with us

Tonight is his 1067th game. So no need to worry about that little detail, you can sleep tonight.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just in case anyone thinks there's something to acquiring Gomez and getting rid of Prince.

Prince Scored in his 2nd game.... Nice goal check it out on NHL.com.
He appeared to be injured on the play as well unfortunately.

Gomez had a decent first game for the Sens... He can't play in the playoffs if we make it which is a little weird but them's the rules. I actually like the pickup. I wish it was done earlier. I think he brings something to the team , veteran presence , nice play making.

Split Milk . But I still don't like us getting rid of Prince.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You are making a quantum leap with this statement.

If Gomez has these intangibles you seem to believe he brings, they are obviously far outweighed by his diminished skill or he wouldn't have gone through 4 NHL teams in the past 4 years, ending up in the AHL.

You make it sound like the young guys will sit around cross legged looking up at Scott Gomez starry eyed sucking up his war stories over the next 32 days.

Truth is that isn't likely to be the case at all, nor is it likely Gomez will feel comfortable enough to say much with the likes of Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ryan, Neil and Boro in the room.

Well, maybe it's just because we don't see things the same way. Instead of explaining, I am going to quote a Bad Religion's song :

everything you see leaves a mark on your soul,
everything you feel leaves a mark on your soul,
everything you touch leaves a mark on your soul,
everything you make leaves a mark on your soul

18 games (~ 2 months) is not A LOT of time but still a decent amount of time for Gomez to have some kind of influence on some of the younger guys. Of course it's not as valuable as a full season, but still a % of it. Don't you think?

You make it sound like no one will even engage a conversation with Scott Gomez over the next 32 days. You know, hockey players also practice together, go eat, go out, even sleep in the same hotel room... As far as we know, Gomez could be stapled to Lazar for the next 32 days.

Anyway, I am not sure I have been saying anything of what you seem to think I have been saying. Check all my posts in this thread, didn't really understand the signing at first then read a lot of posts and some of the knowledgeable posters around here made some good points that helped me see the big picture. I certainly haven't praised Gomez or talk about his intangibles... I just saw "no big deal" with it in the end. I saw it the same way as you do at first, just check my first post. I have evolved since :sarcasm:;)

Now I am not sure what position has to do with anything I said, but it is entirely irrelevant.

Fact is Paul can play center and Puempel on the wing, just as it was Tuesday.

So there was no need for Gomez which is exactly what Murray said in his interview Monday afternoon.

Trust me I have a great respect for experience, but experience alone means nothing other than telling stories about the past.

Oh it's because you said that : "playing Puempel would likely be a bigger benefit for the organization going forward than having Gomez"

Obviously someone will come out but you can't go with only 12 forwards for the rest of the season... A young guy could e sent down to Bingo, or a forward could be sat for "maintenance", we'll see what happens. In the end, there will be no big deal. That's all that I know so far.

Puempel is coming back from a recent injury (which is the reason given for today's scratch). Stone and Lazar are banged up to an unknown degree from Tuesday. Ryan's obviously hurt. Who says all these bodies hold up?

The cupboard is pretty bare in Bingo right now, and they still need bodies to actually play their games too. Not to mention we're already playing with what, 3 rookies and 3 second year players as it is up front?

Signing Gomez costs nothing other than a small portion of an NHL minimum salary.

So honestly, get over it. It doesn't hurt anything, and there's potential for gain.

I think you sum it up the best in the end. Need a guy to fill up a Jersey. A veteran who won Cups for 126 000$

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Nice to see you have a vivid imagination!!!

There is such a thing as professional tryouts in the AHL, and with Bingo going nowhere calling up a few players if need be isn't changing that team's destiny.

The other fact to consider is the Senators aren't going anywhere either, so play the kids and let them learn as much as they can this year so they are better prepared for the start of next season.

There is no potential for gain, the best thing about the Gomez signing is the team might drop lower in the standings.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see you have a vivid imagination!!!

There is such a thing as professional tryouts in the AHL, and with Bingo going nowhere calling up a few players if need be isn't changing that team's destiny.

The other fact to consider is the Senators aren't going anywhere either, so play the kids and let them learn as much as they can this year so they are better prepared for the start of next season.

There is no potential for gain, the best thing about the Gomez signing is the team might drop lower in the standings.

Ok, so rusing prospects = bad for development, and insulating them with Vets = bad for developement, playing them in the AHL must = Bad for development too.

Might as well fold the franchize, at this point whatever we do with our prospects, somebody is going to claim it's going to stunt their development.

I think Gomez might have some tips he can pass on to our young centers. That's one potential positive right there. Maybe he can help them with tricks at the dot, who knows. I'm really having a hard time understanding why people think 18 games for the one prospect that gets bumped from the lineup can be a bad thing.

Heck, maybe having a vet center on the 4th line means the coach will give that line more mins, meaning the rookie (Dzingel) on that line benefits from more time than he would if Paul was the center.

The doom and gloom over such a minor thing is really strange. No positives possible? You can't seriously believe that.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Ok, so rusing prospects = bad for development, and insulating them with Vets = bad for developement, playing them in the AHL must = Bad for development too.

Might as well fold the franchize, at this point whatever we do with our prospects, somebody is going to claim it's going to stunt their development.

I think Gomez might have some tips he can pass on to our young centers. That's one potential positive right there. Maybe he can help them with tricks at the dot, who knows. I'm really having a hard time understanding why people think 18 games for the one prospect that gets bumped from the lineup can be a bad thing.

Heck, maybe having a vet center on the 4th line means the coach will give that line more mins, meaning the rookie (Dzingel) on that line benefits from more time than he would if Paul was the center.

The doom and gloom over such a minor thing is really strange. No positives possible? You can't seriously believe that.

Because HFBoards.

People just can't help themselves.

Even seeing how crappy the Oilers are, they still want to tank constantly and put all their shiny 1st round picks in the NHL right away.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is a signing I don't really understand...

I had no problem with Zibanejad-Pageau-Lazar-Paul down the middle (even Smith could revert back to C)

Maybe to bring another veteran to have around the young team?

Me neither. I suppose it is the GM's way to try to make the playoffs on the cheap. But I see a disadvantage which is taking development time in the NHL away from our young prospects at the Center position (Lazar, Paul, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad