Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Macoy Erkamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Reading a few scouting reports on the kid, and the concensus during his draft year was "needs to get quicker".

Good offensive defenceman, good puck mover, but can be out-worked and lacks the aforementioned speed.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
>21 years old
>WHL

Future Bingo depth, I guess.

Probably, but who knows?

These guys who kind of fly under the radar can sometimes develop over the length of an ELC. If they don't then it's a guy for Bingo.

Nothing to get excited about but you never know what can happen in a few years.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Didn't Hoffman play in the Q as an overager? Sure, history shows that you should be a bit skeptical of an overager dominating in junior hockey, but every once in a while you find a late bloomer who works out for you. It's similar to signing an NCAA free agent - most of the time it's just a depth signing, but you can occasionally find a gold nugget.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
I like the variance on his +/- stats.

Goes from -62 in Lethbridge in 2014, to +47 in Brandon in 2016.

Hmmm, so he went from having a bad +/- on a really bad team to having good +/- on really good teams? Gee, it's almost like +/- is largely dependent on the quality of the team as a whole and a poor tool for individual player evaluation, especially when taken at face value.

But that couldn't possibly be true...could it? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how Erkamps fares in a pro league without Provorov as his partner. Not holding my breath.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Didn't Hoffman play in the Q as an overager? Sure, history shows that you should be a bit skeptical of an overager dominating in junior hockey, but every once in a while you find a late bloomer who works out for you. It's similar to signing an NCAA free agent - most of the time it's just a depth signing, but you can occasionally find a gold nugget.

It's a bit different. Hoffman broke out in the Q in 2008-09 as a 19 year old. That's when the Sens drafted him. He was an overager relative to the draft, with 18 being when a player is elligible.

Erkamps is 21 and suddenly jumps from scoring 30-35 points a season to 70+. He won't be able to go back to major junior due to his age, unlike Hoffman who went on to play another season in the Q and proved he could do it again before turning pro.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Here's a roundup of his game, that's from his draft year (2013):
A poised defenseman who makes good decisions with the puck. Erkamps does not seem to get nervous with any sort of pressure on him. His name has not been mentioned very much when scouts talk about the 2013 NHL Draft, but

he could be a player on the rise if he keeps up his overall play up and continues to improve.

Erkamps dishes the pucks well. He always has his head up and recognizes opportunities quickly. He rarely goes for the home run type of pass, or ones that are very high in difficulty, but his strength is to keep things simple and get the offense going. He has a good shot from the point, and likes to use his wrist shot often to get the puck on net before a crowd is formed in the slot. He could learn to jump into the rush and be a bigger threat when his team has the puck.

Defensively, Erkamps plays a smart game. He is not physically imposing, so he does a good job of anticipating plays to take away lanes and shots instead. For his size, he is good along the boards, but he must improve his strength to be more effective. He is very effective on the penalty kill, and positions himself well to take away options. Erkamps has a tendency to be too aggressive at times and takes himself out of the play, creating an odd man rush for his opponents, especially when they are rushing the puck up the ice. He needs to learn to hold his ground and just take away options instead.

Erkamps is very underrated in terms of his play. He does not make any eye catching moves or hits, so he can go under the radar. You really have to watch him closely to appreciate just how effective he is as a defenseman.

I think that's an optimistic report but overall gives a good idea of what he's about. Not flashy but good all around player.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
It's a bit different. Hoffman broke out in the Q in 2008-09 as a 19 year old. That's when the Sens drafted him. He was an overager relative to the draft, with 18 being when a player is elligible.

Erkamps is 21 and suddenly jumps from scoring 30-35 points a season to 70+. He won't be able to go back to major junior due to his age, unlike Hoffman who went on to play another season in the Q and proved he could do it again before turning pro.

On the other hand, 35 points in his draft year is not that bad for a defenceman on a terrible team.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
On the other hand, 35 points in his draft year is not that bad for a defenceman on a terrible team.

Well, they weren't terrible in his first year of elligibility. Not good, sure, but not god awful like they were in his 19 year old season.

35 points is decent, but the fact that he plateaued, despite later going to a very good team in Brandon for 2014-15, combined with now playing alongside a recent top 10 draft pick as a 21 year old...again, not impossible that he'll turn out to be something and it is good to have more depth for our minor league affiliates, but I don't see any reason to react with more than a shrug.

Edit: Remember Tyler Donati, everyone? Had a 129 point season in the OHL as a 20 year old, Sens signed him. How'd that go again? :p

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Tried to find a highlight reel, only found fights and a few little clips

He seems to often fight bigger guys. He can really throw. Seems to go for the knockout like Borowiecki but slightly less wide open of a fighting style.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Probably, but who knows?

These guys who kind of fly under the radar can sometimes develop over the length of an ELC. If they don't then it's a guy for Bingo.

Nothing to get excited about but you never know what can happen in a few years.

Im not complaining.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hmmm, so he went from having a bad +/- on a really bad team to having good +/- on really good teams? Gee, it's almost like +/- is largely dependent on the quality of the team as a whole and a poor tool for individual player evaluation, especially when taken at face value.

But that couldn't possibly be true...could it? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see how Erkamps fares in a pro league without Provorov as his partner. Not holding my breath.

I read somewhere that +/- in the CHL was actually reasonably predictive, my guess in part do to a larger gap in skill levels from the top players to the bottom players.

Just a sec, while I look it up...

here's the quote:
Plus/Minus has its proponents, even among our staff. Our scouting expert Leslie Treff has pointed out that "plus/minus at the junior level is extremely important in predicting who will do well in the NHL. Not for the potential superstars (or obviously goalies) but for everyone else, it, combined with points per game, is the gold standard." Her conclusion is the result of looking at the junior careers of more than 1300 players drafted into the CHL over a five-year period. The full results will be published within the next few months.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I read somewhere that +/- in the CHL was actually reasonably predictive, my guess in part do to a larger gap in skill levels from the top players to the bottom players.

Just a sec, while I look it up...

here's the quote:

I desperately want to read this study, because I have a hard time believing that there is anything more than the faintest of correlation between +/- at the junior level... in fact, I imagine it would be even less reliable of a stat with such a discrepancy of talent.

Basically, I want to see the math she uses.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He's fought Kanzig twice and held his own. Impressive given that he gives up 30-40 lbs and 5-6 inches to the guy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I desperately want to read this study, because I have a hard time believing that there is anything more than the faintest of correlation between +/- at the junior level... in fact, I imagine it would be even less reliable of a stat with such a discrepancy of talent.

Basically, I want to see the math she uses.

That's entirely fair. Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea where to find it or the data needed to replicate it, nor do I have the patience or desire to go looking. Just thought I'd bring it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad