Confirmed with Link: Sens sign free agent Jiri Smejkal 1 year ELC

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Good for Jiri and his bank account

Cool, idk if this means there's an injury or if we just want to try him out in place of someone (MacEwen?) but I'm happy to hear his play in Belleville has been strong enough to warrant a callup, I liked him in preseason.

Reactions: Dionysus

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Cool, idk if this means there's an injury or if we just want to try him out in place of someone (MacEwen?) but I'm happy to hear his play in Belleville has been strong enough to warrant a callup, I liked him in preseason.
Likely using Chabot's LTIR to have a full roster before hitting the road.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely using Chabot's LTIR to have a full roster before hitting the road.
Well, we didn't have the option prior to Chabot going on LTIR, in the end, he's the guy they chose to call up, not Highmore, or Jarventie, so I'm hoping it's for a reason and not just a warm body.

Reactions: GCK

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If we're calling up someone for Hamonic, I'd go with Guénette who seems to be having a solid year, and is a RHD vice LHD. 6pts and even in his last 10 games,
ya this needs to have happened long ago. Hamonic is bringing down whoever he plays with.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
ya this needs to have happened long ago. Hamonic is bringing down whoever he plays with.
Well, I don't know if an AHL callup will provide immediate dividends, it took a while before JBD looked comfortable, Kleven struggled in his callup, and Mantipalo still seems pretty raw to me, then you have to get the coach to trust them and play them more than 7 mins a night.

Hamonic is far from perfect, but he's getting scapegoated. It's not his fault Chychrun had a rough game,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He is miles better than Mac. Was one of the Sens best players in pre-season. Hope he gets into some games.

Big body who can hold pucks in the ozone and keep the cycle going.
Agreed that 3 year for Mac is a head scratcher.
He probably could offer everything Kubalik is as well.

Reactions: Dionysus

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Happy to see him get a call-up. I liked his game and think he would be an improvement for the 4th line.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have to admit to being disappointed in Mac’s game. I thought he’d be more useful but right now he’s in kind of just there. Not even bone crunching it’s or wild shots on net.

Glad to see Smegal get a shot, he was heavy on the boards and seemed to make safe and simple plays.

We need some heavier players out there. We really should be wearing teams down when we play them.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Glad to see he is getting an opportunity to play. They will absolutely need atleast 13 forwards and 7 d men for this trip. Can he play RW?

All those people shitting on Macewen, he has played well recently. Thought he really had his feet moving last night was getting in on the forcheck playing physical. The 4th line in general has been good.

Reactions: OD99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Agreed that 3 year for Mac is a head scratcher.
He probably could offer everything Kubalik is as well.
Great points. I am not worried about MacEwan, that was Dorion listening to Giroux rather than employ a Pro Scout. Our next GM should have the leeway to keep Mac in Belleville and only call him up when we want him for some energy.

Kubalik is the likely Pinto victim, so having Smejkal allows us to move Greig to 4th line C as Chartier was a nice story but his play has dropped off considerably.

Bottom 6
Smejkal - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Greig - Kastelic

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Glad to see he is getting an opportunity to play. They will absolutely need atleast 13 forwards and 7 d men for this trip. Can he play RW?

All those people shitting on Macewen, he has played well recently. Thought he really had his feet moving last night was getting in on the forcheck playing physical. The 4th line in general has been good.

He played 4:34 last game, and under 3 minutes vs. The Rangers. Need more than that from your 4th line I think.

He shows flashes of being physical, but overall he is the weakest link at forward.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Love it.
Looking forward to watching Jim get games, hope he gets a good chunk so he can settle in.
Exactly what the bottom 6 needs IMO.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have to admit to being disappointed in Mac’s game. I thought he’d be more useful but right now he’s in kind of just there. Not even bone crunching it’s or wild shots on net.

Glad to see Smegal get a shot, he was heavy on the boards and seemed to make safe and simple plays.

We need some heavier players out there. We really should be wearing teams down when we play them.
Smejgal hopefully will play well and make one of the 4th liners redundant. I did not see him play a tough physical game in pre-season. Has he altered his play style since then?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Smejgal hopefully will play well and make one of the 4th liners redundant. I did not see him play a tough physical game in pre-season. Has he altered his play style since then?
He was pretty physical along the boards and won board battles with his size and strength. He wasn’t a hitter, and if that’s what you mean I agree.

He protected the puck well with his strength and made nice simple plays I thought.

Reactions: Cosmix and JD1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad