Sens/Pens Game 7 is 2017: One of the most consequential games in NHL history?

KennethMelvin

Mar 27, 2019
Think about it. For one franchise; it was the climax of an improbable run that led to their complete demise as a competitive franchise. For the other, cemented the legacy of one of the greatest players of all time whilst coming closer to achieving the unthinkable in a Cap era; back to back Cups.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Considering how close Penguins & Detroit got to do a back to back and the BlackHawks level of sustained success and winning 3 cups in 5 year's + reaching round 3 I am not sure people considered back to back to be unthinkable in the cap era.

Reactions: feffan

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Not sure it was the most consequential game of that season. Noone expected the Sens to make that run and I don't think there was huge expectations they would necessarily build on that. Not sure how that loss lead to their demise in any context.

For the Pens, it would have been a pretty major upset and a huge missed opportunity if they loss. Game 7 against the Caps was more consequential IMO.

There is something to be said about the back-to-back though. What was once happening almost 50% of the time (a team repeating) from 1947 to 1992, has happened only twice in the last 25 years.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think that was a huge game. I mean, we were a goal away from an Ottawa/Nashville Cup final. Oh to see Gary Bettman's reaction to that one!

I was rooting for the Pens in 2017. There were moments on the ice during that spring where the Pens looked less than impressive but it almost always was after a hard fought series. Game 1 vs. Ottawa they looked flat, Game 1 and 2 vs. Nashville they looked awful but won both games. Eventually they came around and would outscore the Predators 8-0 the final two games. This was always after a hard fought 7 game series and their defense was being held by a string. You really saw how they missed the minute muncher in Letang. Justin Schultz is a decent defenseman, but he shouldn't be your #1 guy. It just goes to show you how well Crosby and Malkin carried them that year. You can argue this is Crosby's finest moment.

I just wanted to see two in a row again, it had been 19 years. Why not? Other sports had done it, even multiple times, since then. Why not see a good flagship team that every one wants to beat? The thing I remember about the overtimes in Game 7 was just how much Pittsburgh was dominating the Sens. Maybe the Sens had a decent scoring chance, but I can't remember it.

Reactions: Trade

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If you were paying attention back then, or just wasn't a blind Sens fan drinking the kool-aid, you'd already knew that the Senators shouldn't even have been close to making the playoffs; thus, them floundering in 17-18 wasn't that surprising... Hell, it was probably even expected.

Someone should probably have told the Sens brass that you shouldn't drink the kool-aid you're making though.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I think that was a huge game. I mean, we were a goal away from an Ottawa/Nashville Cup final. Oh to see Gary Bettman's reaction to that one!

I was rooting for the Pens in 2017. There were moments on the ice during that spring where the Pens looked less than impressive but it almost always was after a hard fought series. Game 1 vs. Ottawa they looked flat, Game 1 and 2 vs. Nashville they looked awful but won both games. Eventually they came around and would outscore the Predators 8-0 the final two games. This was always after a hard fought 7 game series and their defense was being held by a string. You really saw how they missed the minute muncher in Letang. Justin Schultz is a decent defenseman, but he shouldn't be your #1 guy. It just goes to show you how well Crosby and Malkin carried them that year. You can argue this is Crosby's finest moment.

I just wanted to see two in a row again, it had been 19 years. Why not? Other sports had done it, even multiple times, since then. Why not see a good flagship team that every one wants to beat? The thing I remember about the overtimes in Game 7 was just how much Pittsburgh was dominating the Sens. Maybe the Sens had a decent scoring chance, but I can't remember it.

IMHO, PIT had won enough by 2017. OTT was a nice cinderella story. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to see the flagship team lose.

The fact no team had repeated was a cool quirk. Now, it's just 'Oh, PIT repeats again. Yay.'

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
IMHO, PIT had won enough by 2017. OTT was a nice cinderella story. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to see the flagship team lose.

The fact no team had repeated was a cool quirk. Now, it's just 'Oh, PIT repeats again. Yay.'

I mean, it only happened twice in 20 years so I don't think it is a novelty that has worn off or anything. Before Pittsburgh did it we are talking two decades here.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That was quite the run for this former Sens fan. Got to think if they reach the Cup final they beat Nashville as well. A Cup win probably keeps Karlsson there long-term and prevents what has happened the past 2 years to the team from happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad