OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
When it comes to music (as with most things), people are so myopic. You feel like so many great musicians are dying now because of the age you are and the age they are. There was nothing super special about the generation of musicians you grew up listening to. For your parents they could never match the performers they liked in their formative years and so on and so on. It's not that these musicians had so much "staying power", it's that the people that grew up listening to them suddenly got money and they went back into touring to cash in.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When it comes to music (as with most things), people are so myopic. You feel like so many great musicians are dying now because of the age you are and the age they are. There was nothing super special about the generation of musicians you grew up listening to. For your parents they could never match the performers they liked in their formative years and so on and so on. It's not that these musicians had so much "staying power", it's that the people that grew up listening to them suddenly got money and they went back into touring to cash in.

I can't help but roll my eyes at people who say music in the 60's/70's was the best, same with movies.

The best time for movies and music is almost always now as long as you don't focus on the mainstream. Yeah in terms of absolute there's more garbage now but there's also way more high quality stuff and I'd argue that the highs are higher now than they have ever been.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I can't help but roll my eyes at people who say music in the 60's/70's was the best, same with movies.

The best time for movies and music is almost always now as long as you don't focus on the mainstream. Yeah in terms of absolute there's more garbage now but there's also way more high quality stuff and I'd argue that the highs are higher now than they have ever been.

This take gets thrown around a lot, and I can only somewhat agree with it. You can't expect everyone to go seeking out the diamonds in the rough. I don't really care enough about music to look for much beyond what I already enjoy. Also, most people are going to have at least some exposure to contemporary popular music even if they don't like it, so it will contribute to the perception that "today's music sucks".

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

That’s because the correct answer is the 80s. :D

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That Solo movie is garbage . Why do I get sucked in to that shit.

Reactions: Deku

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Except pop music, rap music, hip hop, reggae, jazz etc. each have different timelines. There were originators and followers.
Things are usually more exciting (and better) when fresh and new.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This take gets thrown around a lot, and I can only somewhat agree with it. You can't expect everyone to go seeking out the diamonds in the rough. I don't really care enough about music to look for much beyond what I already enjoy. Also, most people are going to have at least some exposure to contemporary popular music even if they don't like it, so it will contribute to the perception that "today's music sucks".
I'd argue that yes, you can and should expect people to be willing to explore. Otherwise, it somewhat devalues the opinion – not knowing what's available out there inherently makes the "music today is terrible" opinion invalid because it's a very limited frame of reference. It's akin to me looking at soccer and saying, "well, sports really suck." It's not a complete picture. You know, feel what you want to feel, think what you want to think, but there's never really an excuse to be uninformed beyond laziness and contentedness with the status quo, neither of which is a valid reason to discredit things you don't know about. (And please don't take this as a personal shot – it isn't – I just get very defensive of current music because it's such a common target.)
Except pop music, rap music, hip hop, reggae, jazz etc. each have different timelines. There were originators and followers.
Things are usually more exciting (and better) when fresh and new.
More exciting, I'll give you. More nostalgic, sure. But better? I'm not sure I can agree with that. Just because The Beatles invented the formula doesn't mean they perfected it.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I'd argue that yes, you can and should expect people to be willing to explore. Otherwise, it somewhat devalues the opinion – not knowing what's available out there inherently makes the "music today is terrible" opinion invalid because it's a very limited frame of reference. It's akin to me looking at soccer and saying, "well, sports really suck." It's not a complete picture. You know, feel what you want to feel, think what you want to think, but there's never really an excuse to be uninformed beyond laziness and contentedness with the status quo, neither of which is a valid reason to discredit things you don't know about. (And please don't take this as a personal shot – it isn't – I just get very defensive of current music because it's such a common target.)

More exciting, I'll give you. More nostalgic, sure. But better? I'm not sure I can agree with that. Just because The Beatles invented the formula doesn't mean they perfected it.
No such thing as perfection though. Especially when it comes to music. There are new ideas and there are rehashed ideas.
Hard to argue that rehashed ideas are generally better than new ones.
When it comes to popular music, the excitement generated by listeners of a new form usually gets fed back in to the creation. And it sustains for a while. Until you have what we have today - Mostly staleness.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No such thing as perfection though. Especially when it comes to music. There are new ideas and there are rehashed ideas.
Exactly! No such thing as perfection. Things are always being reworked and fine-tuned. That's why the whole concept that music has peaked is baffling to me. By definition, there's always room for upward growth. And just because I have a preferred decade and genre doesn't mean that it's the only music worth listening to and there's nothing good being produced today.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But is the music industry really working towards making things better? With technology available to make damned near anyone sound decent, it feels (imho) they're putting a lot more development in visual looks and everyone having a unique "style", and there's less emphasis on the music itself. At least most of the mainstream/commercial stuff out there.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
But is the music industry really working towards making things better? With technology available to make damned near anyone sound decent, it feels (imho) they're putting a lot more development in visual looks and everyone having a unique "style", and there's less emphasis on the music itself. At least most of the mainstream/commercial stuff out there.
In the mainstream, sure, I'd agree with that. Too much focus on the noise and not enough on the sound. But you could argue the same with nearly any decade and genre from disco onward. Music has always been about appearances on some level, but it's when you dig deeper that you get the music worth your time. It's unfortunate that it takes more effort to find it, but I view that as more a side effect of how much we're spoon-fed what we, as a society, are supposed to like.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
In the mainstream, sure, I'd agree with that. Too much focus on the noise and not enough on the sound. But you could argue the same with nearly any decade and genre from disco onward. Music has always been about appearances on some level, but it's when you dig deeper that you get the music worth your time. It's unfortunate that it takes more effort to find it, but I view that as more a side effect of how much we're spoon-fed what we, as a society, are supposed to like.
I was just thinking the other day how most albums/CDs have the face of the artist(s) on the cover, and yet that's pretty much never the case in my collection.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

With stuff like Spotify and Google Play, it has never been easier.

I'm finding new acts I enjoy almost everyday.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
With stuff like Spotify and Google Play, it has never been easier.

I'm finding new acts I enjoy almost everyday.
Eh, it's a bit of a double-edged sword. It's never been easier to find music if you know what you like and what you're looking for. But it's also never been easier to be a musician and share your creations with the world, which means not everything on the Google Plays and Spotifys will be quality. It's a bit of work to find the good, and that's why a lot of people won't bother and prefer to stick to the known rather than venture off the well-trodden path.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Never assume incompetence when the alternative is corruption.

Honestly, I'd personally go in with a scalpel on that act. Some of the new rules, like the on-call stuff (min 3 hours pay per day) is going to wreak havoc on a lot of industries, especially in production oriented engineering occupations .
And the large majority of the people I know use those two paid sick days as two extra vacation days in the year. Heck, I used one to take a half day in order to make it to a friend's wedding because I don't have any vacation time yet where I work, and no banked hours yet either.

That's not to say there's not a lot of decent stuff in there, and there are sections of workers that I recognize need some of those protections but I'm not sure if it was all implemented the best way it could be.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, I'd personally go in with a scalpel on that act. Some of the new rules, like the on-call stuff (min 3 hours pay per day) is going to wreak havoc on a lot of industries, especially in production oriented engineering occupations .
And the large majority of the people I know use those two paid sick days as two extra vacation days in the year. Heck, I used one to take a half day in order to make it to a friend's wedding because I don't have any vacation time yet where I work, and no banked hours yet either.

That's not to say there's not a lot of decent stuff in there, and there are sections of workers that I recognize need some of those protections but I'm not sure if it was all implemented the best way it could be.

I think industries could have eventually adapted to the new worker protections. Just because the way they did things before doesn't align, doesn't mean it was an ideal way of doing things. That not to say the bill was perfect though so yeah, surgical amendments could help

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Dear weather network. Overcast my ass! Get outside, pouring rain. Run back in to get the umbrella :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad