What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So I heard some talk on the radio today about BC's Speculation Tax which is intended to drive down housing prices so they are more affordable. Now of course a lot of the opposition is that it will drive down property value which are people's retirement funds and what not, and those are valid concerns.

I am in no way an expert in financial planning, but is it just me or is investing in property not the idea. It seems to me that there are just so many stories about how property in a particular area lost a bunch of value because of whatever changes. For example there was a golf course in Calgary that got shut down and is now a new neighborhood, but there was a bunch of complaining when it happened. Districts get rezoned and property values can fall. Whenever the affordable housing debate comes up here people claim property values will fall. I understand that investing in property can result in the value increasing significantly, but am I crazy for thinking that the risks (unpredictable changes resulting in decreased value and potential loss of retirement fund) aren't worth it, and it makes more sense to go for safer investments.
It depends. Investing in a place like Vancouver is going to be a high risk high reward type of scheme. You'll want to get out before the bubble bursts or regulations change. Even there though, if you buy just to rent to people you'll do fine. Less risk, less reward, fairly safe.

Speaking of investing though, I only found out yesterday about Robinhood. It's an online brokerage in the US where you don't pay any fee for buying and selling stocks. I've always thought of buying stocks but the initial investment and the fees have always seemed high, and it just seems so complicated. This Robinhood thing seems perfect for me, but of course it is not available in Canada yet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... an hour and a half into my 7 hour drive, my wife slammed on the brakes and I spilt my coffee on my pants... Karmas a bitch, @BondraTime I guess I should have travelled via a more civilized MOT. truth be told it wasn't much of a spill, so no significant inconvenience, but I laughed,

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So... an hour and a half into my 7 hour drive, my wife slammed on the brakes and I spilt my coffee on my pants... Karmas a *****, @BondraTime I guess I should have travelled via a more civilized MOT. truth be told it wasn't much of a spill, so no significant inconvenience, but I laughed,
I'm on the bus now heading back, I have a travel mug this time.

I feel for you my man

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I just bought a bag of President's Choice Hot & Spicy kettle cooked peanuts.

They are neither hot or spicy.

I give them a score of 1/10. They get the 1 point because as far as I can tell, they are actually peanuts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I just bought a bag of President's Choice Hot & Spicy kettle cooked peanuts.

They are neither hot or spicy.

I give them a score of 1/10. They get the 1 point because as far as I can tell, they are actually peanuts.

Go get yourself a bag of these my friend, they'll solve your craving for spicy peanuts in a jiffy:
Tongue Burner Crispy Potato Chip Covered Peanuts

They are both hot and spicy. My favourite brand of peanut by far. They have a line of peanuts that are coated in a potato chip like casing, think of a Pringle surrounding a peanut (which the above link is an example of).

Sadly, you either have to drive a fair bit, or order them online, but it's well worth it.

Reactions: Zorf

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Go get yourself a bag of these my friend, they'll solve your craving for spicy peanuts in a jiffy:
Tongue Burner Crispy Potato Chip Covered Peanuts

They are both hot and spicy. My favourite brand of peanut by far. They have a line of peanuts that are coated in a potato chip like casing, think of a Pringle surrounding a peanut (which the above link is an example of).

Sadly, you either have to drive a fair bit, or order them online, but it's well worth it.
There's a great selection of nuts (including spicy ones) at Shiraz, the Middle Eastern grocery store on Somerset.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
In the ČR, anything labelled hot and/or spicy is pretty much guaranteed to be so only in some theoretical plane, like that they waved a chilli pepper over it. I once ordered a "chilli burger" that was labelled with two of those little chilli pepper icons and apparently that was meant rather literally as there were like two little slices of jalapeno on it. The odd thing is that it's been a much worse problem for me in recent years now that spicy food has started to become more popular, because that means places "offer" it to be trendy, but all it does is get my hopes up.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ex machina director's Annihilation. Cool movie. If you liked EM you might like this. Theatre recommended.
(Apologies if already discussed)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Speaking of food, anyone ever try the Chicago Mix popcorn (I believe that's the name) at No Frills? It's Presidents Choice brand, some good too.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Some guy cut me off at a left hand turn and thought I gave him finger so he pulled into right hand lane and stared me down. LOL.

Ok tough guy.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Some guy cut me off at a left hand turn and thought I gave him finger so he pulled into right hand lane and stared me down. LOL.

Ok tough guy.

I always get quite the laugh when someone does something stupid and then acts like it was the other person that did it.

Had a guy that started coming into my lane and was going to side swipe me, so I honked at him and he proceeded to follow me all the way home and then get out and start yelling like a crazy madman that I honked at him and it caused his wife to have a panic attack. I honestly couldn't believe it. He went on for a good few minutes, without letting me get a word in until some neighbours started coming out and he just hopped back into his car and squealed off, while flipping everyone off as he went down the street, was truly an odd experience, but seems to be becoming a lot more common.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I always get quite the laugh when someone does something stupid and then acts like it was the other person that did it.

Had a guy that started coming into my lane and was going to side swipe me, so I honked at him and he proceeded to follow me all the way home and then get out and start yelling like a crazy madman that I honked at him and it caused his wife to have a panic attack. I honestly couldn't believe it. He went on for a good few minutes, without letting me get a word in until some neighbours started coming out and he just hopped back into his car and squealed off, while flipping everyone off as he went down the street, was truly an odd experience, but seems to be becoming a lot more common.

It's just crazy. First time I've experienced something like that as a driver. Had it happen a few times as a passenger and had to stick up for my friends.

Really? What are you going to do, hit my car? Stalk me? I'm not throwing away my time and risking criminal charges.

While he was obviously mad (who the f*** knows why, he cut me off and it was dangerous, if I was racing the light I would have hit him for sure), would he be willing to throw away his life? Nah.

So he gives memthe stupid staredown that pissed me off alot more than getting cut off.

Reactions: Smash88

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I've started giving people thumbs down instead of flipping them off. It's more psychologically damaging.

If I'm alone usually I just yell "what are you doing" and stuff like that. Might as well get the frustration out. If someone is with me I keep quiet. I don't think it impacts my driving much. I've never honked or stared someone down in anger or followed them closely.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The only time I get serious road rage and tail people is left lane hogs on the highway. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY. GTFO out of the way! See I am already getting riled up here.

Move over, pass the person, and then move BACK. And if youre going to pass the person, dont take 10 minutes doing it, go OVER the speed limit, pass them, and move over!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only time I get serious road rage and tail people is left lane hogs on the highway. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY. GTFO out of the way! See I am already getting riled up here.

Move over, pass the person, and then move BACK. And if youre going to pass the person, dont take 10 minutes doing it, go OVER the speed limit, pass them, and move over!

what drives me nuts is people who tailgate me when I'm following someone else at the flow of traffic, but am giving an appropriate amount of space (during rush hour). Even worse is when they scoot over to the right lane and make an effort to pass me, only to find themselves going the exact same speed, but in front of me instead of behind me and tailgating the guy in front. Every now and then I'll pull up next to someone in the right lane and just match their speed if somebody is severely tailgating just for the lol.

The whole left lane is only for passing theory kind of breaks down in rush hour where the right land is more of a collector lane for those getting on and off the highways. If you're going 30+ km it makes no sense to be in the right or middle lane the entire time.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

I have a car and drive myself around etc. But I frequently find myself in my friends car when we do roadtrips or camping or something like that. He will get in the left lane and just sit there doing 109. He is oblivious to the cars filling his mirrors. I can't not backseat drive when I'm in the car with him. Either that or I just avoid it completely.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
what drives me nuts is people who tailgate me when I'm following someone else at the flow of traffic, but am giving an appropriate amount of space (during rush hour). Even worse is when they scoot over to the right lane and make an effort to pass me, only to find themselves going the exact same speed, but in front of me instead of behind me and tailgating the guy in front. Every now and then I'll pull up next to someone in the right lane and just match their speed if somebody is severely tailgating just for the lol.

The whole left lane is only for passing theory kind of breaks down in rush hour where the right land is more of a collector lane for those getting on and off the highways. If you're going 30+ km it makes no sense to be in the right or middle lane the entire time.
I am not above brake testing these people.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I've started giving people thumbs down instead of flipping them off. It's more psychologically damaging.
I've found myself at lights with ornery a-holes sitting in the car next to me screaming about the perceived transgression, and I just end up laughing at them. Really gets them going.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Not willing to sacrifice my ride for some dumbass tailgater
Double edged sword indeed. It's usually a quick tap. Not enough to close the gap a lot. It's enough that the lights come on abruptly and they get the hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad