What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Alcohol is just as bad or worse than most illegal drugs. Would you sue ththr government if your friend died driving drunk? Or from alcohol poisoning?

And people wouldn't use fentynol if they could get legal heroin. The most dangerous thing about street opiates is the varying strengths of it. Most people don't die from dirty heroin, they die from pure heroin. Taking too lRge a dose for too pure a drug.

Regulate that ****, and the problem lessens. Plus the black market and criminal Enterprise goes away.

There are serious pros to legalization, decriminilzation and regulation.

Not that the poster you were responding to was in the line of thought but it's fascinating to me that Alcohol is generally accepted in society and it is seen as cool or hip to publicise how much one drinks and or how eager they are to, but someone who smokes a little natural plant from the ground is dubbed a "pot-head" which carries a negative term to it and is seen by society in a lesser light even though it's been proven to be more beneficial to the body and mind in almost every category.

But hey, we live in a society where people who believe in something as fake as religion are held in high regard whereas someone who believes in aliens which is likely to exist is seen as a crazy person!

Reactions: JonnyMacSen

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Speaking of Netflix and "BB", I'd recommend the show newly on Netflix Babylon Berlin, takes place in Berlin in 1929, really well done period mystery drama thing. Most expensive German tv production, one of the co-creators was the director of Run Lola Run

This also sounds interesting.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Decided to travel the civilized way, by train. Happy to report I have not spilled my coffee in the first half hour of the trip. @BondraTime
Quite jealous. My ride was quite bad until I changed into shorts on the bus. I have a shorter ride this weekend, hopefully I can keep myself from stupidity.

Not likely though...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Not that the poster you were responding to was in the line of thought but it's fascinating to me that Alcohol is generally accepted in society and it is seen as cool or hip to publicise how much one drinks and or how eager they are to, but someone who smokes a little natural plant from the ground is dubbed a "pot-head" which carries a negative term to it and is seen by society in a lesser light even though it's been proven to be more beneficial to the body and mind in almost every category.

But hey, we live in a society where people who believe in something as fake as religion are held in high regard whereas someone who believes in aliens which is likely to exist is seen as a crazy person!

It'll be interesting to see how the perception of marijuana and "pot heads" changes once it becomes legal.

Also, if I could figure out how to post a picture, I'd post a picture of the "Aliens" guy. Haha.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be interesting to see what happens when it becomes legal. Again, I don't smoke the stuff but really don't think there's anything more wrong with having a joint than there is having a beer.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

I don't necessarily agree with your observations. In my perspective, people I know that would be considered "pot-heads" are high whenever they get the chance, morning, afternoon, evening, etc. They've created a dependency on it, and I know people will respond saying "weed isn't addictive", but people certainly do develop habits of being high constantly. People who smoke weed socially aren't looked at negatively, nobody really cares.

On the other hand, a person who is drunk all the time is called an alcoholic, and that is definitely not a word used to define cool or hip.

I'm not saying there isn't an alcohol culture, because there most certainly is. I agree that binge drinking is often considered cool/hip, but so is smoking weed on the weekend with a group of friends.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm glad its going to be legal and we can put all the weed proselytizing behind us. You do you, I want to be left alone and I want to leave you alone. If tobacco and alcohol are legal for adults, cannabis should be too.

The "weed isn't addictive" crowd is super annoying.

Sure, if you look at the world of addiction as very black and white (ie chemical hooks are all that define addiction) then you can try and play inside baseball about the physiological addiction indicators, but cannabis addiction is clearly a real thing, it just isn't as devastating physically over time as opiates or alcohol abuse.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Quite jealous. My ride was quite bad until I changed into shorts on the bus. I have a shorter ride this weekend, hopefully I can keep myself from stupidity.

Not likely though...
Hot coffee + shorts + bus + spillage sounds more potentially painful though...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I don't necessarily agree with your observations. In my perspective, people I know that would be considered "pot-heads" are high whenever they get the chance, morning, afternoon, evening, etc. They've created a dependency on it, and I know people will respond saying "weed isn't addictive", but people certainly do develop habits of being high constantly. People who smoke weed socially aren't looked at negatively, nobody really cares.

On the other hand, a person who is drunk all the time is called an alcoholic, and that is definitely not a word used to define cool or hip.

I'm not saying there isn't an alcohol culture, because there most certainly is. I agree that binge drinking is often considered cool/hip, but so is smoking weed on the weekend with a group of friends.

Im basing my views really on assumptions and nothing concrete...im of the belief that really anything can be addictive...two scenarios I have thought of that may help display what im thinking will continue to happen are:

At work, always a good time to go out with coworkers and even the boss for a post work drink, if someone wants to fire up after work and invites their co-worker and boss would that be seen in the same light?

The other would be the many mothers who I view on my various social medias bragging about how often and how eager they are to get into the wine due to long days with the kids, would moms who replace the wine with weed be viewed the same?

I think both above scenarios the double standard would be at play more often than not for the first several years of decrim/legality, really only one way to find out I guess.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm glad its going to be legal and we can put all the weed proselytizing behind us. You do you, I want to be left alone and I want to leave you alone. If tobacco and alcohol are legal for adults, cannabis should be too.

Sure, if you look at the world of addiction as very black and white (ie chemical hooks are all that define addiction) then you can try and play inside baseball about the physiological addiction indicators, but cannabis addiction is clearly a real thing, it just isn't as devastating physically over time as opiates or alcohol abuse.

Weed s interesting because it isn't physically addictive. But pychologically it is incredibly addictive. In the same way that gambling and sex are, only it is a literal mind altering substance as well.

That's when it becomes a gateway drug. When someone is hooked, smoking multiple times a day, and can't find any or become tolerant.

Most people who smoke weed do so responsibly, but there is always that percentage that lose control.

So I do wonder how legal pot will impact the volume of addicts we currently have. The treatment systems are already insufficient as it is.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Im basing my views really on assumptions and nothing concrete...im of the belief that really anything can be addictive...two scenarios I have thought of that may help display what im thinking will continue to happen are:

At work, always a good time to go out with coworkers and even the boss for a post work drink, if someone wants to fire up after work and invites their co-worker and boss would that be seen in the same light?

The other would be the many mothers who I view on my various social medias bragging about how often and how eager they are to get into the wine due to long days with the kids, would moms who replace the wine with weed be viewed the same?

I think both above scenarios the double standard would be at play more often than not for the first several years of decrim/legality, really only one way to find out I guess.

I believe there is recent evidence to suggest problem drinking has statistically risen alot among women , especially younger women (moms).

I'm not saying your feed in particular , but there is an actual problem in some number with the "mommy wine" types.

This is the NY Post sure, but just Google the research referenced and other such stories.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/24/why-alcohol-abuse-is-on-the-rise-among-mothers/

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

You know what's even more annoying? The "weed makes me a better driver" crowd.

No. It doesn't.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I smoke weed almost everyday since I got my new sales job about 2 years ago. It makes everything better from tv shows, and food to pain and stress.

I have a lot of pot head friends who drive high but for some reason I feel that's a risk I don't ever want to take. The term pot head doesn't mean anything negative in my opinion as I like to call myself a pot head. It's a crime this plant is still illegal

I don't want to say weed can't be addictive because people are different whenever I feel a strong reliance on it I stop for a few weeks and when I get back it's even better

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I smoke weed almost everyday since I got my new sales job about 2 years ago. It makes everything better from tv shows, and food to pain and stress.

I have a lot of pot head friends who drive high but for some reason I feel that's a risk I don't ever want to take. The term pot head doesn't mean anything negative in my opinion as I like to call myself a pot head. It's a crime this plant is still illegal

I don't want to say weed can't be addictive because people are different whenever I feel a strong reliance on it I stop for a few weeks and when I get back it's even better
Everyone is different. I know friends who were straight up hooked, and friends who could use it constantly and then stop at the drop of a hat. It can go both ways.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So I heard some talk on the radio today about BC's Speculation Tax which is intended to drive down housing prices so they are more affordable. Now of course a lot of the opposition is that it will drive down property value which are people's retirement funds and what not, and those are valid concerns.

I am in no way an expert in financial planning, but is it just me or is investing in property not the idea. It seems to me that there are just so many stories about how property in a particular area lost a bunch of value because of whatever changes. For example there was a golf course in Calgary that got shut down and is now a new neighborhood, but there was a bunch of complaining when it happened. Districts get rezoned and property values can fall. Whenever the affordable housing debate comes up here people claim property values will fall. I understand that investing in property can result in the value increasing significantly, but am I crazy for thinking that the risks (unpredictable changes resulting in decreased value and potential loss of retirement fund) aren't worth it, and it makes more sense to go for safer investments.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

That's a relatively healthy way to go about. The fact that you routinely step back for chunks of time suggests that you can control it.

I don't think pot head is a negative term either. And I don't buy into the pot makes people lazy argument, i think its more likely that lazy people like pot. I know some very successful people who smoke a shit tonne of weed.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Weed addiction is more like food addiction than nicotine addiction imho.

To a degree, but a mind altering substance can hit a bit heavier. At the end of the day, any drug or habit or activity that one gets addicted to, its the dopamine surges that really do them in when engaging in whatever behaviour they choose.

Then their bodies stop producing all those sexy endorphins and stuff at a regular level, because of all the artificial surges they get. Which leads people to get depressed and down when they're not engaging, so they engage more. On and on it goes.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Getting hammered tonight. Is there any difference whatsoever between Uber and Lyft? Seems like they are essentially the same thing.
Never used Lyft, but they are pumping some 100 dollar credit promotion if you sign up for the first time. I wonder what their availability is like. Surely there are more uber driver than Lyft, although I'm sure a lot of drivers would do both.

Reactions: Bean Drown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad