OT: Sens Lounge LXXX | HEY! BRANDINE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Brussels Sprouts are so love/hate. I've yet to meet a person that's truly ambivalent toward them.

(incoming: someone who is truly ambivalent toward them, probably.)

Only veggie I have a long standing distaste for is Lima beans.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I freaking love brussels sprouts...though I usually eat them smothered in butter which makes everything delicious.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think it's more a result of your parents not knowing how to cook something properly. Once I started cooking for myself, I found plenty of ways to make Brussels sprouts not taste so bitter. My preference is actually to have them with various flavours of vinegar.

Also broccoli is awesome in pretty much any manner... raw, steamed, grilled, roasted.

I fully admit my hatred of Brussels sprouts has to do more with conditioning than anything else.

It's such a unique taste that brings up bad mojo for me. It's probably the one childhood food that I never grew out of my dislike for. There's an association that I'm not fond of.

I sort of identify with this. When I was young my Mom made eggplant and I absolutely hated it. My parents were the "finish what is on your plate" type, so my dad wouldn't accept that and I think he also felt I had no right to reject my mother's cooking. Years later I learned to love eggplant, and it wasn't until that time I was at a banquet that I had some poorly-made eggparm and smelled that horrible aftertaste of the eggplant and realized what it was: they neglected to salt the eggplant for an hour prior to cooking, and that is exactly what I tasted back in the day. If only my Mom made it properly I never would have had a problem. Other than that I never had any issues with vegetables.

That and TV forcing an imprint (broccoli and Brussels sprouts were always the 'evil' vegetables).

Well, don't forget the hero Chewbroccoli aboard the Millenium Scallion (onion hate-ahs!):

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I freaking love brussels sprouts...though I usually eat them smothered in butter which makes everything delicious.

Yeah that's just like the melted cheese on top of the french onion soup. It makes anything edible. That's one reason why mac & cheese is such a horrible food. You're basically eating pure starch but you smother it with a creamy-cheese and suddenly it's considered a meal. At best you're getting a small serving of protein, assuming real cheese is being used, but other than that no fibre, no vitamins - just terrible.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I sort of identify with this. When I was young my Mom made eggplant and I absolutely hated it. My parents were the "finish what is on your plate" type, so my dad wouldn't accept that and I think he also felt I had no right to reject my mother's cooking. Years later I learned to love eggplant, and it wasn't until that time I was at a banquet that I had some poorly-made eggparm and smelled that horrible aftertaste of the eggplant and realized what it was: they neglected to salt the eggplant for an hour prior to cooking, and that is exactly what I tasted back in the day. If only my Mom made it properly I never would have had a problem. Other than that I never had any issues with vegetables.

Well, don't forget the hero Chewbroccoli aboard the Millenium Scallion (onion hate-ahs!):

Eggplant is something I've never managed to figure out how to do properly... but I have read about the salting it ahead of time - just never plan ahead far enough to put that into practice.

GF's done up some nice eggplant 'bruschetta' with my help though in the past. Can't remember if it's a Brazil thing or just something she picked up somewhere else, but sliced eggplant with a slice of tomato and onion on top, oven roasted... I just finished up the seasonings exactly like you might have on bruschetta and it turned out super awesome.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Asparagus is also awful

Asparagus is on that fine line of "made properly, it's delicious/ made poorly, it's near inedible".

Cooked properly, it's a top-tier veg... easy 1st rounder in the Vegetable Draft, possibly a top-10 pick. Overcoked, it's a late-round flyer. Possibly undrafted.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Eggplant is something I've never managed to figure out how to do properly... but I have read about the salting it ahead of time - just never plan ahead far enough to put that into practice.

GF's done up some nice eggplant 'bruschetta' with my help though in the past. Can't remember if it's a Brazil thing or just something she picked up somewhere else, but sliced eggplant with a slice of tomato and onion on top, oven roasted... I just finished up the seasonings exactly like you might have on bruschetta and it turned out super awesome.

Moussaka is definitely the way to go if you are looking for something to do with eggplant. I used to work in a Greek restaurant that made excellent moussaka, and I've never been able to duplicate it.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I love asparagus. The one thing I love about asparagus is how it makes my urine smell a thousand times worse than urine will ever smell. Go into the men's room at work and clear the place out - love it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My chiro likes raw asparagus

I don't get that but I do love well cooked asaparagus which is one of the few vegetables I'm quite good with in terms of preparation

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I think if you eat vegetables raw most researchers will agree that you will encompass the most amount of nutrients. Sometimes I like those raw ingredients, like on a greek salad. However, with dinner I prefer a good steam. Even if it's cooking out some of the fibre and nutrients it's better than what I would eat if it were not there.

Another thing - I find it incredibly difficult to get a decent serving of steamed vegetables anywhere. Even at some places (Applebee's, Chili's, TGIF's, etc) that do have it it's this horribly-watered-down-from-the-freezing, overcooked, mushy vegetable. I wonder if there would be a market for a place that has fresh veggies available for a quick steam on-demand.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I find it incredibly difficult to get a decent serving of steamed vegetables anywhere. Even at some places (Applebee's, Chili's, TGIF's, etc) that do have it it's this horribly-watered-down-from-the-freezing, overcooked, mushy vegetable.

Your first mistake is expecting Applebee's, Chili's or TGIF to have good food. I mean, right there, that's where the first breakdown is.

Side note: Jakarta just got it's second TGIF, in the mall I live next door to, and I don't think I've ever seen an expat in the joint. Over here, it is exclusively a restaurant for Indonesians who think they are eating "authentic American food". Any actual American/Canadian/European/Australian won't touch the place.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Your first mistake is expecting Applebee's, Chili's or TGIF to have good food. I mean, right there, that's where the first breakdown is.

Side note: Jakarta just got it's second TGIF, in the mall I live next door to, and I don't think I've ever seen an expat in the joint. Over here, it is exclusively a restaurant for Indonesians who think they are eating "authentic American food". Any actual American/Canadian/European/Australian won't touch the place.

Wow Bonk tossing the heat. Ok well now I have to reply and defend my honour in front of all the onlookers! I do not expect anyplace to have good food, other than the CNY Market where I get most of my groceries. However, if I was ever suddenly in the mood for some fresh steamed veggies the only place I could get them would be the aforementioned "restaurants". And look - don't even compare to Canada because I saw the Marketplace episode where they went undercover in restaurants. I know all about what goes on in those places!

:sarcasm: (gotta make sure I put in this otherwise who knows...)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I came from a family that pretty much stuck to potatoes, carrots, corn, green/yellow beans, celery, onions and peas. For veggies, I've never really gone beyond that. Except for peppers....peppers are amazing.

Exceptions would be a handful of other stuff dumped on a pizza, hidden in a meatloaf, stashed away in soup or a sauce....but never as a stand alone dish.

My tastes are extremely narrow. It's a pain in the butt, especially when so many things in the store will contain one item in the soup can/frozen bag, etc I can't stand. Various types of beans are the worst...water chestnuts, kidney beans (although I like the juice in chilli), lentils, pinto, etc....awful stuff.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I only know how to use eggplant in ratatouille, but then again if it's up to me I just leave it out (zucchinis are great, OTOH). Looks like I need to try this salting earlier idea though.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So... hoping I don't make a fool of myself Friday night.

Agreed to play goal for the Friday night pickup with guys from work, I've skated out with them in the past and while most of them are 40+... they're all the types who have been playing the same ice for like 15 years or more, and a couple of them have a rather decent slapshot (which honestly I think I've seen a total of one in my short year of goaltending).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So... hoping I don't make a fool of myself Friday night.

Agreed to play goal for the Friday night pickup with guys from work, I've skated out with them in the past and while most of them are 40+... they're all the types who have been playing the same ice for like 15 years or more, and a couple of them have a rather decent slapshot (which honestly I think I've seen a total of one in my short year of goaltending).

Just make sure to bring the big pads, and you'll be fine.

cheatpads.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad