OT: Sens Lounge LXXV | Future Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Continue...

mf_narrativescience_f.jpg

Can An Algorithm Write a Better Story Than a Human Reporter?

Had Narrative Science — a company that trains computers to write news stories—created this piece, it probably would not mention that the company’s Chicago headquarters lie only a long baseball toss from the Tribune newspaper building. Nor would it dwell on the fact that this potentially job-killing technology was incubated in part at Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications. Those ironies are obvious to a human. But not to a computer.

At least not yet.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I've read about that before. No chance. Especially not in sports, where the algorithm just reads the box score. No mention of anything in the stands, hard play that wasn't visible to the naked eye, or momentum-shifting giveaways.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I agree with HAWT.

The analysis itself would suffer, but the emotion behind a well-written story or piece would be lost on a computer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Elliot Rodger was a real piece of dog ****, never would wish death upon anyone, but if a bus would have parked on top of him a week ago the world would be a better place

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Elliot Rodger was a real piece of dog ****, never would wish death upon anyone, but if a bus would have parked on top of him a week ago the world would be a better place

It blows my mind that someone can be so disconnected from reality as to think love is owed to them. How does one make that leap of logic? It honestly baffles me.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
It'll make me sound somewhat ignorant, but feminist movements like that are just absolutely baffling to me.

Even the title of feminism contradicts what feminists claim to fight for. I'm all for equality, but this #YesALLWomen, from what I've seen, looks like nothing more than a "men suck" movement.

Just my opinion.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It'll make me sound somewhat ignorant, but feminist movements like that are just absolutely baffling to me.

Even the title of feminism contradicts what feminists claim to fight for. I'm all for equality, but this #YesALLWomen, from what I've seen, looks like nothing more than a "men suck" movement.

Just my opinion.

Agreed. Some girl wrote this on fb last night, as soon as I read it I decided I was done with the internet for the day.

We live in a patriarchic society where we clearly see and understand what sexism can lead to, but there is no support for those affected.

Sexual Assault is all that it is, there is no barrier or excuse to it. religious, cultural, racial etc.

Feeling like you should punish a woman for who they choose to be sexually active with or if they choose to not to with anyone at all is a sick and disgusting mentality.

If any "man" believes that he can get some just because he was kind or respectful to a woman is never going to measure up to what will get him what he wants, or who he believes he is. You are not being respectful you have abusive mentality.

Understand that we as woman will NEVER owe you our bodies, our lives our our decisions. Woman's bodies are their own and we will never no matter how much of a gentleman one can be, we will never owe you sex or sexual acts. And if you don't like that understand that one day **** mentalities such as this one will not go unpunished. Using mental illness as an excuse to get away ~ to an extent ~ sexual assault or killing woman for not having sex will not go unpunished. We shouldn't be judging religions or countries that abuse woman when the "great west" is doing the exact same thing. Discretion isn't going to change the fact that sexual abuse it universal and has the same cause and results.

If any man has this mentality you are not a Man your a sicko.

If any Woman has this mentality as well understand that you as well are a sicko.

Nobody should ever feel like they owe their body to anyone, Man or Woman.

Its disgusting how any society ever let this happen.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
All humans need to suffer - the ego loves it. When a society can't fill the need the people will go looking. The upper/lower class split will be a fun one to watch in the near future.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
And of course all the comments are other girls congratulating her for "telling it like it is."

Clear cut example of people who are easily brainwashed by the modern day media.

Sexual assault is wrong no matter who is involved. Being able to make that connection shouldn't warrant a Nobel Peace Prize. It's called having a moral code of ethics.

Instead, girls like her are told by the media and by popular feminist movements that it's "man" that should be blamed. Not particular men. "Man".

And I love how her tirade blatantly states how it's all "men" and then in the last few lines she makes the statement that no "man or woman". Ah, so she recognizes that it's a two-way street but she left all the ribbing and ripping for "men". Right.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't see why spaghetti straps cause a problem, but the connection to being sexist is stupid.

What she's fighting for isn't, in my mind. There's too many ****ing rules in this world.

#Libertarian #NotReally #Kinda #HashtagsOnHF

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
I don't see why spaghetti straps cause a problem, but the connection to being sexist is stupid.

What she's fighting for isn't, in my mind. There's too many ****ing rules in this world.

#Libertarian #NotReally #Kinda #HashtagsOnHF

Is that you, Mr. Scott Cameron?

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
A lot of self-proclaimed libertarians go way too far about how small they want the government, how many freedoms people get, etc. I think there's a fine line.

One of my biggest beliefs is that if someone does something, as long as it doesn't have a negative affect on others (especially those who cannot make sound decisions on their own [kids, mentally handicapped, elderly with less than sound judgement]), then there is no point in having a rule/law.

No smoking in restaurants? Makes sense, it has a negative affect on others.

Weed is illegal? If someone that is able to make independent decisions is able to do it in a place where it wouldn't affect others, why should it be illegal.

No spaghetti straps? Seems like a rule for the sake of it being a rule, it doesn't harm anyone.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't even anymore.

This Great Debate has been going on forever. Funny that this one girl put up such a stick as to make the news about it.

The women in the comments section saying "if you sexualize a 14 year old girl then you're the one with the problem!" annoy me. That's not the point. It's the 14 year old boys who can't concentrate worth a damn in class that I am concerned with :laugh:

Anyway, the whole 'we should be able to express ourselves freely and creatively' take is silly. There should be a line drawn somewhere, and not being allowed to openly show underwear is a decent threshold. These kids should just be happy they don't have to wear uniforms. Then again, those same kids would then start battling the Board on how short their skirts can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad