OT: Sens Lounge CIII | Stranger Things Fashion Debate Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Eh, they're not so bad.

Vlookup is your friend.

I started automating things with recorded macros, which lead to me then customizing my macro's in VBA, which lead to me writing all sorts of short cuts including custom functions that could be called like any other excel function.

I love working with Excel, provided it's being used for the right reasons. These days though I seldom have the need to do anything fancy or fun with it...

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Protip: knowing how to use Excel will propel your career. I am not kidding.

Bonk gets it, VLookUp has allowed me to make much more money than I ever thought I'd make :laugh:
I know how to use them... They just crash sometime's and even though they do backups once in a while, you're always backtracking to see if everything you previously worked on is up to date. This sucks even more when you have 6-7 sheets open at once. It was 10x worse on Windows 7.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know how to use them... They just crash sometime's and even though they do backups once in a while, you're always backtracking to see if everything you previously worked on is up to date. This sucks even more when you have 6-7 sheets open at once. It was 10x worse on Windows 7.
Hmm... I know our costers split data across a couple workbooks and then combine the results to get around limitations in excel that cause it to crash on them. Also, conditional formatting and array formulas can cause problems when you get into bigger sheets.

You can also temporarily turn off automatic recalcuation of formulas, that way it will only recalc when you tell it to if you need to make multiple changes that each result in a massive amount of recalcs that potentially lock things up.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't understand the transit commissions reluctance to add train capacity or peak hour bus service (morning commute, evening commute).

All they're doing with these fair hikes and shittier commutes is pushing people into cars. If their goal is a war on the environment they're succeeding.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I don't understand the transit commissions reluctance to add train capacity or peak hour bus service (morning commute, evening commute).

All they're doing with these fair hikes and ****tier commutes is pushing people into cars. If their goal is a war on the environment they're succeeding.

At the very least I hope they have their contingency plan in case of train problems better prepared for winter time. Having people queued up back to the bus stops at Tunneys because the station didn't see a train for 30+ mins during rush hour is going to be a massive problem on those -25 degree days.

And over a year delay on this thing and they couldn't come up with a fix / detect a problem for someone trying to push a door open? Fortunately that's a situation that shouldn't come up too often :rolleyes:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

All they're doing with these fair hikes and ****tier commutes is pushing people into cars. If their goal is a war on the environment they're succeeding.
You would think they would have all trains on the go and buses to make sure everything is as smooth as possible. Instead they "guesstimate" how many they think they will need. Also they make the train platforms too small.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lots of time before winter sets in. I'm confident they will work out the kinks. I still think this is very cool, I wish people didn't seem to be in a hurry to see it fail.

I haven't had to commute by car or public transit to work for at least decade. It is the only way to live.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lots of time before winter sets in. I'm confident they will work out the kinks. I still think this is very cool, I wish people didn't seem to be in a hurry to see it fail.

I haven't had to commute by car or public transit to work for at least decade. It is the only way to live.
I don't think people want to see it fail they just want it to work better than what was there before. Forcing people in the suburbs to take these trains just makes the transition more undesirable. Express buses were working because it allowed people to skip most stops on their way downtown and when coming from Orleans or Kanata that saved a lot of time. Until the trains reach everyone people shouldn't be forced to use them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think people want to see it fail they just want it to work better than what was there before. Forcing people in the suburbs to take these trains just makes the transition more undesirable. Express buses were working because it allowed people to skip most stops on their way downtown and when coming from Orleans or Kanata that saved a lot of time. Until the trains reach everyone people shouldn't be forced to use them.

Exactly.

Folks can handle a long ride on a train or bus. It's the switch overs that are a killer. You just want to get on your ride, sit down, and put on the earbuds until you're at work. Having the average person form the suburbs go from bus to train to another bus...just to get to work? What a royal pain in the butt.

You'd think they would've done the smart thing and just build the entire LRT line in one phase, instead of 3 (or is it 4?). Have the entire ting up and running at once, even if ti took a few more years to complete.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The trains will never reach everyone, what's the difference between taking a bus from Chapel hill to Blair and taking it to Jean D'arc or Place d'Orleans? The way the train is set up, at best it will replace the setup for those who took a local bus to the 95/96/97 ect instead of paying extra for an express pass back before they changed the setup while the rail was being built. Express bus convenience is never going to be replicated. The trade off was supposed to be trains shouldn't be impacted by accidents or congestion on the roads meaning more reliable timings.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly.

Folks can handle a long ride on a train or bus. It's the switch overs that are a killer. You just want to get on your ride, sit down, and put on the earbuds until you're at work. Having the average person form the suburbs go from bus to train to another bus...just to get to work? What a royal pain in the butt.

I thought we supposed to be on board with doing what we can for the environment. Ah well, screw future generations, I don't want to wait for anything anywhere.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
There has been consistent delays so far this week at least commuting into the core from the west end, hopefully it gets better as some adjust, it also seems like they have reduced services in underserved areas which doesn't make sense but i digress...I won't look to make alternate arrangements until i see how things shake out in a week or two. I would have thought they would have slowly implemented the changes to the bus lines over a year or two as opposed to all at once, especially only a few weeks after the 1 line of the LRT has opened.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I thought we supposed to be on board with doing what we can for the environment. Ah well, screw future generations, I don't want to wait for anything anywhere.
Meh. Growing pains are to be expected – we're throwing a whole city's routine through a loop. It's a long-term net gain, but for a population that has waited patiently for this LRT system while it faced setback after setback, it's a pretty reasonable reaction to be frustrated when this highly touted system has complete breakdowns on two of the first three days. Once the initial woes calm down I'm sure the complaints will die down too. But for now they're well-deserved. It's not a matter of "screw future generations," it's a matter of "we all have places to be and these delays are unreasonable."

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

We do need to be greener....but there's also a limited number of hoops you can expect the average person to jump before it gets to be too much of a burden. It shouldn't take anyone 2 hours to get to work from anywhere in the Ottawa-Carelton-Gatineau area. There are also a growing number of cities that use electric buses to cut down on carbon emissions.

We need solutions that are actually feasible. Otherwise, people simply won't do them long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad