OT: Sens Lounge CII | End Incorrect Roman Numerals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Corporate real estate law, yes.

Usually just about staying copied to ensure deal continuity. Occasionally there will be questions from the client or the other side that only I can answer by virtue of how workstreams have progressed.

On rare occasions there will be an emergency that requires work product be produced immediately while on vacation.

Pressure always starts with the client; most have relentless expectations. Going off the grid for extended periods of time is basically just unacceptable.

Edit: and to be clear I’m not trying to justify this at all - it’s a crappy way to live. But I need a job and this is more or less what’s available to me based on how things have progressed in my life.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you just started your career? I have been in the real estate management/acquisition business, and practicing law for 25 years. If there are a couple things I have learned is...there are things that can wait. Especially when you are out of the office. Try and stick to that right out of the gate or else it will be hard to get off that merry go round.

People can wait...they just don’t want to. Clients want everything , like, yesterday. Don’t forget they need you just as much, more actually, than you need them. Losing a deal means likely not dealing with a POS anyways, or a person who will probably stiff you in a bill.

In 25 years, getting paid strictly on commission when winning cases, I got stiffed precisely once. And he was a POS.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you just started your career? I have been in the real estate management/acquisition business, and practicing law for 25 years. If there are a couple things I have learned is...there are things that can wait. Especially when you are out of the office. Try and stick to that right out of the gate or else it will be hard to get off that merry go round.

People can wait...they just don’t want to. Clients want everything , like, yesterday. Don’t forget they need you just as much, more actually, than you need them. Losing a deal means likely not dealing with a POS anyways, or a person who will probably stiff you in a bill.

In 25 years, getting paid strictly on commission when winning cases, I got stiffed precisely once. And he was a POS.

I’m about two years in.

And I agree with everything you are saying, but “biglaw” in NYC is its own animal.

There simply isn’t an option to take a step back. I’ve already gotten better about resisting bullshit deadlines but there are very clear limits. There are so many people with amazing credentials in line for my job that it’s just not an option to be unresponsive.

Reactions: coladin

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Just wanted to check if anyone plays in a mens league in the south-east Ottawa area.

Recently moved to Limoges and was looking to play in a league somewhere around there (Casselman, Embrun, Russell, etc.). Anyone play in a league in that area?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Just wanted to check if anyone plays in a mens league in the south-east Ottawa area.

Recently moved to Limoges and was looking to play in a league somewhere around there (Casselman, Embrun, Russell, etc.). Anyone play in a league in that area?
My condolences

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
So I'm looking to buy a used car sometime this summer and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts/recommendations. I'm looking at relatively newer used cars (2014-2018) and probably a compact or mid-size sedan. I'm an early 20s guy who commutes to school/work pretty regularly so it would be my daily driver.
Anyone have any brands they absolutely love or hate? Any buying tips or tricks?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
So I'm looking to buy a used car sometime this summer and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts/recommendations. I'm looking at relatively newer used cars (2014-2018) and probably a compact or mid-size sedan. I'm an early 20s guy who commutes to school/work pretty regularly so it would be my daily driver.
I had a Cobalt, it had a recalled power steering motor due to the motors brushes failing and the motor dying, it was replaced for free by the recall, 2 years later, the power steering motor died exactly like how the recalled motors were dying, Chevrolet refused to fix what was very obviously a still faulty power steering motor.

Have had much better experiences with Hondas and Acuras.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I had a Cobalt, it had a recalled power steering motor due to the motors brushes failing and the motor dying, it was replaced for free by the recall, 2 years later, the power steering motor died exactly like how the recalled motors were dying, Chevrolet refused to fix what was very obviously a still faulty power steering motor.

I once rented a cobalt to go on vacation to Niagara Falls. No bells or whistles but I got there on 1 tank of gas with enough left to go around town.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I once rented a cobalt to go on vacation to Niagara Falls. No bells or whistles but I got there on 1 tank of gas with enough left to go around town.
It's fuel efficiency was essentially the equivalent to a civic or any other compact car, pretty average.

It was tbh for the most part a reliable car, it drove me back and forth from Calgary twice. But Chevrolet's lack of support of their faulty design pissed me off.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'll sell you my 2016 Veloster Turbo with 11,000km for 23,000$. 5 years left on warranty.

L6rfDXA.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 0

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I bought a Kia Soul. Cheap, good on gas, tonnes of room and because 90% are owned by old women, I never get a second glance from the popo.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

When I was 18-19 I was a detailer for one of the GM dealers in town. I genuinely hated the Cobalt so bad. it was made out of the cheapest possible materials and was obviously so far behind the market segment for that kind of car. It just felt like "I can't believe they made this". It was just so boring. I'm sorry.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I went and picked up a 2015 GTI for one of my wife’s client’s kids (lol) a few months ago.

It was actually a heck of a lot of fun to drive. I actually picked up my first speeding ticket in 12 years in it! Cop laughed at my story and told me he also had a GTI, gave me a vastly reduced ticket, told me to play safe, and sent me on my way.

The kicker was that my wife was following me in the RR (it’s a ‘99, no pomposity here) and also got pulled over right behind me. The cops also had a laugh together when the saw we had the same last name. Needless to say they didn’t ticket her at all for having to follow her dumbass husband.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
When I was 18-19 I was a detailer for one of the GM dealers in town. I genuinely hated the Cobalt so bad. it was made out of the cheapest possible materials and was obviously so far behind the market segment for that kind of car. It just felt like "I can't believe they made this". It was just so boring. I'm sorry.
The modern day K-car.

File:85-89_Dodge_Aries_sedan.jpg

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The gosh darned Clarson trade was so big it must have broke the whole darn site, but looks like we are back in business no thanks to the leafs...

I tried to load up the site today and when it wouldn't open I literally said to myself, hm, better check who the Leafs traded for.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I've been looking at the 2000 - 2004 Ferrari 360 spider/Modena

I will probably end up with a KIA optima

Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad