OT: Sens Lounge CII | End Incorrect Roman Numerals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am in a touch down office for the time being. There is a kitchenette 5 feet away. The girl in the desk next to me is eating her lunch at her desk instead of the kitchenette. She eats like a horse. Imagine the sound of a giant rat in a sewer ripping the flesh off one of its fallen comrades as it echos through the tunnel. Its like that, but worse.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
This climate change debate stuff makes me wonder if the internet was as popular as it is now in the 90s if there would have been a lot of ozone hole deniers and denying that people are helping cause a hole in the o zone layer.

Acid rain is a government conspiracy to impose martial law!

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Acid rain is a government conspiracy to impose martial law!
Remember when Mexican factories were contributing to acid rain in the states and American bullied them into shutting down those factories? Follow that up with American factories causing acid rain in Northern Ontario and Quebec and American saying "we cant help what the wind does."

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Remember when Mexican factories were contributing to acid rain in the states and American bullied them into shutting down those factories? Follow that up with American factories causing acid rain in Northern Ontario and Quebec and American saying "we cant help what the wind does."

There is a lot of climate change denial in Alberta and a common response to people saying Alberta/Canada should do more is crying about how China is so much worse. It is the same old story that other people can take responsibility, but if I have to take some responsibility or give something up that is totally unacceptable.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I need to rant so bear with me:

I work with a total scum bag: he lies to his clients, blacklists people who he finds bother him, incapable of learning, incapable of working alone, doesn't read his emails, prays/sings/chants loudly at his desk (Christian) and recently tried to start a fight between two coworkersby saying he was going to resign due being treated poorly by someone while the truth is he is not getting renewed.

After two days of working with him I told my boss "this guy is going to be a massive problem: he just asked me if I had 20k to invest in, his words here, jewish shoes made in China" (I arrived a few months before he did) and was told to keep quiet.

Here we are, 9 months later, and he was finally told he wasn't getting renewed after my supervisor lost her mind that she has to do his job on top of her own, threatened to resign so my manager had to listen. So he gets to stay at work, work even less, and gets paid to do job hunting. My manager broke down in tears when told him the news because she is her menopause (no offense, going through that looks like hell!) and insists that we should be more understanding of his plight.

The guy is getting paid 66k a year on the public dime because my manager doesn't want to make the tough decision, she would prefer playing the clock. This guy straight up lied in his job interview and gets rewarded for it.

Ok, I really needed to get that out....

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ive noticed that the public sector has a hard time firing people. They are scared that they will do it wrong and get axed themselves. I had a pay issue and was told to contact a lady in another city. She yelled at me on the phone for 20 minutes and treated me like I was 14 getting my first job at a taco bell. She said stuff like "Why didnt you fill out this form? How else is payroll suppose to know?" To which I replied "Well, in the private sector they have HR departments (she was in the HR department) that make sure new hires have all the paper work they need. They don't make them research what it is that they need to submit." She lost her mind. When I told my boss he said "did she curse at you? She does that to me all the time."

Still waiting on that pay issue to be resolved. Haven't worked there in months.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The flat earther documentary on Netflix is an interesting quick watch and kinda shows exactly what you are talking about here.

I'm a flat earther and I try to live my life by the immortal words of renowned flat earther Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "the only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself" (**)

** Full disclosure: I'm not a flat earther, FDR wasn't a flat earther, and I stole this joke off the internet

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There is a show on one the nature channels called "Canada over the edge" or something along that line. They basically show a section of Canada from either a drone or helicopter and discuss a little bit of it. It was a pretty neat show until they went up to Newfoundland. They talked to a flat earther who has declared that NFLD is one 5 corners of the world. I lost respect for them even listening to that rubbish.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Ive noticed that the public sector has a hard time firing people. They are scared that they will do it wrong and get axed themselves. I had a pay issue and was told to contact a lady in another city. She yelled at me on the phone for 20 minutes and treated me like I was 14 getting my first job at a taco bell. She said stuff like "Why didnt you fill out this form? How else is payroll suppose to know?" To which I replied "Well, in the private sector they have HR departments (she was in the HR department) that make sure new hires have all the paper work they need. They don't make them research what it is that they need to submit." She lost her mind. When I told my boss he said "did she curse at you? She does that to me all the time."

Every story I've heard about the government (federal, not municipal or provincial -- I don't know anyone who works at either of those) is that most managers who have a dud will actively try to get him/her to transfer to another department rather than fire them. My understanding is that it's far easier to deal with the bureaucracy for a transfer than it is a firing.

Occasionally you will hear the same kind of story about a private company, usually one that's gotten very big and dominated by HR.... and in that case it's time to sell their stock!!!

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Every story I've heard about the government (federal, not municipal or provincial -- I don't know anyone who works at either of those) is that most managers who have a dud will actively try to get him/her to transfer to another department rather than fire them. My understanding is that it's far easier to deal with the bureaucracy for a transfer than it is a firing.

Occasionally you will hear the same kind of story about a private company, usually one that's gotten very big and dominated by HR.... and in that case it's time to sell their stock!!!

I think they are more concerned about dealing with Unions. Where I worked there were two different unions, the one you were in was based entirely on your level. You could be in the same union for years, but if you got promoted after passing courses you would be in a new union. Every third cubicle had a union flag and a poster bashing phoenix.

I should have known better when on my first day my boss said "So you know about Phoenix? Yeah, its real and it sucks."

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I'm in pay so your story is a very familiar one. There are so many easy fixes that could be done but I keep running into "that's my job!" and "that's not my job" attitudes. It is maddening, especially because there is much easy progress to make (not that it would fix everything of course).

Phoenix works mostly fine now. The problems are that it is very unintuitive, there is very little support and the training is well-intentioned but really misses the mark in terms of making comp advisors autonomous.

If you had to deal with the Pay Center, you are screwed: not because of Phoenix but because PSPC is a giant mess. The department I'm with is direct entry (so we input into Phoenix in-house) and I'm really hesitating taking a promotion because I'd go to a department served by the Pay Center. I've seen transfers take three years.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I'm in pay so your story is a very familiar one. There are so many easy fixes that could be done but I keep running into "that's my job!" and "that's not my job" attitudes. It is maddening, especially because there is much easy progress to make (not that it would fix everything of course).

Phoenix works mostly fine now. The problems are that it is very unintuitive, there is very little support and the training is well-intentioned but really misses the mark in terms of making comp advisors autonomous.

If you had to deal with the pay center, you are screwed: not because of Phoenix but because PSPC is a giant mess.
I was on contract and they screwed up my hours. I was told to put in LWOP as the code for the days I was not there. So the system clawed my pay back. Problem was they were clawing back money they never paid me. I went from September to December no pay, no pay in March or April. I left at the end of April.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was on contract and they screwed up my hours. I was told to put in LWOP as the code for the days I was not there. So the system clawed my pay back. Problem was they were clawing back money they never paid me. I went from September to December no pay, no pay in March or April. I left at the end of April.

Why would anyone tell you to put LWOP? Whoever told you that had no idea what they were doing. That is not Phoenix's fault and yet people blame Phoenix. This is so frustrating!!

Sorry to hear that man... I wish I could help but I can only work on people's files who are with my Department...

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Guys, I was at VegFest last weekend and saw this guy speak. He came in from chicago to talk because there was a little kid there who was suffering from the same rare thing he was. It was one of the most emotional and inspirational talks I've ever seen.
His name is D Anthony Evans. I found this little clip that summarizes his story. It's worth a watch. Wow man, we have no excuses complaining about this or that.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Been super busy lately, so no.

I am actually flying out to India again in a couple of hours. Having a beer now in the airport! :)

When I get back I will bring it in for sure.

Thank you again for the tip. I will fight to get it fixed
Safe travels!

Reactions: Variable26

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Pete Davidson calls chevy a genuinely bad and racist person? When was that? Because Chevy said the show was bad? Which it is.

A racist?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Pete Davidson calls chevy a genuinely bad and racist person? When was that? Because Chevy said the show was bad? Which it is.

A racist?

Read up on Chevy on the set of Community and with Donald Glover.

Whether Chevy is a racist or not he’s known to try and get under people’s skin and ruin their confidence especially if he feels threatened by talented people.

I’ve always had a soft spot for him and he’s dealt with some tough crap growing up apparently, but he’s a known ass. His Community character was made that way because they were making fun of him that he wasn’t actually acting that’s actually how he is.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Read up on Chevy on the set of Community and with Donald Glover.

Whether Chevy is a racist or not he’s known to try and get under people’s skin and ruin their confidence especially if he feels threatened by talented people.

I’ve always had a soft spot for him and he’s dealt with some tough crap growing up apparently, but he’s a known ass. His Community character was made that way because they were making fun of him that he wasn’t actually acting that’s actually how he is.
can you say that without ever having met him?
I mean that pete davidson guy is absolutely horrible. he's the opposite of funny. he should be kissing chevy's asshole. Chevy created his job. It sounds like more of the same from when the ghostbusters movie was announced and that other horrible unfunny snl cast member was calling the ghostbuster creators sexist etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad