Sens, Leafs and Wild 48hr buyout period - Opens Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/627899880850108416

Didn't see this posted, can someone explain this?? Makes no sense to me.

EDIT: Link will work now. I made a post on the main board first and just copy and pasted, but that copied the shortened link - not the actual link. I went back into my post and fixed it, though. Vikingstrad, thanks for embedding the tweet below :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
My understanding is a second buyout period opens up for teams with 2 or more arbitration hearings.

Interesting, that was a thought I had and posted on the main board. Although I think it's only 1, because Wild and Leafs both only had one guy in arb.

Here's a thought - did the Leafs let Bernier go to arbitration, only to sign him soon afterwards, just so they can buy out Lupul without any cap hit? They were the only team to elect arbitration (I believe) and yet they gave him quite close to his ask (albeit with an extra UFA year). Obviously they need to actually use it to give this little theory any credence, but if they did that...? Ingenious manoeuvre.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My understanding is a second buyout period opens up for teams with 2 or more arbitration hearings.

It only requires one. So long as that one isn't a club-elected arbitration in lieu of making a qualifying offer to a player. e.g. Bernier. Leafs window still opens because they had a second arbitration case in Beck though.

Club-elected arbitrations after a qualifying offer was made only require one. e.g. Schultz.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Interesting. I hope we buyout Greening. Give him maybe a chance to sign elsewhere and play. Gets rid if a guy on the 50 man roster. Saves the team 2/3rds of his salary and clears cap space if just maybe... Maybe we need it for a huge deal or massive trade deadline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting, that was a thought I had and posted on the main board. Although I think it's only 1, because Wild and Leafs both only had one guy in arb.

Here's a thought - did the Leafs let Bernier go to arbitration, only to sign him soon afterwards, just so they can buy out Lupul without any cap hit? They were the only team to elect arbitration (I believe) and yet they gave him quite close to his ask (albeit with an extra UFA year). Obviously they need to actually use it to give this little theory any credence, but if they did that...? Ingenious manoeuvre.

If Lupul becomes available BM should make a pitch for him, he would help Ottawa in a top 9 capacity. Lupul - Zibanejad - Ryan would be interesting.

We'll see next week if BM finally buys out Greening or sticks with what he has been saying all along & does not. If he does not, I expect he will be on the opening day roster.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
If Lupul becomes available BM should make a pitch for him, he would help Ottawa in a top 9 capacity. Lupul - Zibanejad - Ryan would be interesting.

We'll see next week if BM finally buys out Greening or sticks with what he has been saying all along & does not. If he does not, I expect he will be on the opening day roster.

I don't think they would sign Lupul. I personally kind of like him. Seen him literally dominate games offensively like a superstar. That was a few years ago and I don't see him play all the time and he gets tons of criticism... Though if he plays like he used to... It could be like adding another MacArthur. Which would be awesome.

Doubt it happens and maybe Lupul is done as a doninating player? Idk.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I would take a chance on Lupul, but only if he signed a contract like Semin did recently. He would most likely get more from another team though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting. I hope we buyout Greening. Give him maybe a chance to sign elsewhere and play. Gets rid if a guy on the 50 man roster. Saves the team 2/3rds of his salary and clears cap space if just maybe... Maybe we need it for a huge deal or massive trade deadline.

For better or worse, can't buyout Greening. To be eligible for buyout in the second window a player needs to have an AAV of at least $2,985,625.

edit: added the exact amount

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For better or worse, can't buyout Greening. To be eligible for buyout in the second window a player needs to have an AAV of ~$3.0M.*

Don't think the precise figure has been published. It was set at $2.75M last season and increases each season by a % equal to the year to year growth of average league salary.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. The only other alternative is to send him to Bingo & pay him an NHL contract although I bet BM tries very hard to package him in a trade.

I don't think they would sign Lupul. I personally kind of like him. Seen him literally dominate games offensively like a superstar. That was a few years ago and I don't see him play all the time and he gets tons of criticism... Though if he plays like he used to... It could be like adding another MacArthur. Which would be awesome.

Doubt it happens and maybe Lupul is done as a doninating player? Idk.

He has also had more than his share of injuries. I don't think he is done but he could be trending downwards, although against the Leafs he might be better. He would definitely be a risk but then again we could say that for a lot of guys.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

I doubt he buys out Colin. Honestly, as much as he was useless this past season, if he can have a slight return to form he could very well be our best 4th line LW option. When Greening is on, he's a pretty good 4th liner. I think he definitely stopped working like he used to or as is necessary for a player like him, but I think that last year must have motivated him to really put in an effort to be a true player again.

If we buy him out this year, its a 4mil buyout in salary. If he bounces back next year, we trade him or who knows, maybe let him ride out his contract. If he doesn't, we buy him out next year at 2.1 in salary with cap hits of .5 and 1.0, and in that case they'd pay out 4.8 over the two years. Just seems to be the more sensical way to proceed, and I suspect that's how theyre approaching it.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
For better or worse, can't buyout Greening. To be eligible for buyout in the second window a player needs to have an AAV of at least $2,985,625.

Well, there goes that possibility!

If Lupul is bought out, I'd love to acquire him. I have always really liked him, and I think the Sens looked at him last year (but that could be me mis-remembering).

Lupul would get 10.5mil over the next 6 years in the case of a buyout - an average of 1.75/year.

I would gladly give him a two year contract at 1.75. He's scored at a 59 point pace since joining Toronto, although only a 42pt pace since the end of the lockout year. Historically, he's quite the playoff performer as well - 30 goal per 82 game pace in 46 games (17 goals).

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Lupul - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Michalek
Greening - Lazar - Chiasson
ex: Smith, Neil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, there goes that possibility!

If Lupul is bought out, I'd love to acquire him. I have always really liked him, and I think the Sens looked at him last year (but that could be me mis-remembering).

Lupul would get 10.5mil over the next 6 years in the case of a buyout - an average of 1.75/year.

I would gladly give him a two year contract at 1.75. He's scored at a 59 point pace since joining Toronto, although only a 42pt pace since the end of the lockout year. Historically, he's quite the playoff performer as well - 30 goal per 82 game pace in 46 games (17 goals).

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Lupul - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Pageau - Michalek
Greening - Lazar - Chiasson
ex: Smith, Neil

If for no other reason, it would be pretty awesome to see him thrive as a Sen after the leafs discarded him. I'm neither for nor against signing him. Worst case scenario you get a good player that can't stay healthy. Best case, he finally gets over his injury woes and makes us a stronger team.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If for no other reason, it would be pretty awesome to see him thrive as a Sen after the leafs discarded him. I'm neither for nor against signing him. Worst case scenario you get a good player that can't stay healthy. Best case, he finally gets over his injury woes and makes us a stronger team.

Yeah I do have concerns, not enough so that I wouldn't sign him, but I believe the only way we would sign Lupul is if we were to deal Hoffman in a package for an upgrade, either on LW or LD. Michalek and MacArthur are both very good two way players who can play LW, but Puempel and Prince are not, and Hoffman and Lupul are not either. I just feel like if we have Lupul and Hoffman there would be a lot of games where Mac and Michalek would be getting double shifted throughout the 3rd. That's just how Cameron runs his team, it seems. He doesn't like guys who aren't well-positioned defensively, and he'll often remove them from the ice before they make a costly mistake.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Not a good sign for us

:laugh:

this account was bewildering for the first 5-10 posts but now its just hilarious! I agree Ttracer, certainly a sign of impending doom. No matter what, you don't want to be grouped in with the Leafs, or even worse, Minnesota. Any team with "soda" in their name is bound to contaminate us with their unhealthy organizational culture.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
48 hours of false hope most likely...

No hope, actually, unless you are hoping for Karlsson, Ryan, Turris, Michalek, MacArthur, Methot, Cowen, Stone, or Anderson to be bought out. No one else on our team has a high enough cap hit to be eligible.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Of all the players eligible to be bought out, about the only faint possibility would have been Cowen. Still, Murray has stated clearly that they believe Cowen has a future in the NHL and they are determined to ride it out. Unless you had severe cap problems, it would make no sense to let go of a young defenceman who could still turn it around. (I was in favour of not even qualifying Chiasson, but given that we got him so cheaply for another year in arbitration I'm OK with holding onto him for another year.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad