Post-Game Talk: SENS in Carolina, Wednesday night 7PM

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wiry isn't a thing. All you have to do is eat more food and lift more weights. Literally impossible to not gain muscle doing that. I guarantee you that the person isn't lifting heavy enough or eating enough food if they aren't packing on muscle.
He's not trying to pack on bodybuilding muscle or gain much weight, there's a reason that so few NHLers look like body builders

Nutrition and working out isn't something new to NHL players, and Grieg is undoubtedly following the Sens nutrition and workout program to a tee.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wiry isn't a thing. All you have to do is eat more food and lift more weights. Literally impossible to not gain muscle doing that. I guarantee you that the person isn't lifting heavy enough or eating enough food if they aren't packing on muscle.
He has pit on muscle, according to those that actually see him in the dressing Dean and Gord said . Others have said looks stronger.
lol with the guarantee.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Up against the cap and that’s the lineup we get? When the whole immediate objective is get off to an excellent start??
Fire someone now!
Leaf fan coming in peace but what’s the point of signing Tarasenko if he’s just going to be in a bottom 6 role? The whole point of getting him would be to put up some big goals. I’d move Batherson down to Tarasenko’s line or put Tarasenko on the first line. Stutzle can feed Tarasenko. Just my 2 cents. The more Tarasenko scores the more you’re going to get from him at the deadline if you become sellers

Reactions: LiseL and Rodzilla

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Paying Tarasenko 5M and making him play with Chartier. Dude must be thrilled.

I want DJ Smith to succeed but its like he wants to fail. This coaching’s staff lineup decision has always been awful.
This is not DJ's fault the GM has put him in this position. Playing tarasenko in position is the right thing to do. Its not his fault Pierre cant manage the cap.

Leaf fan coming in peace but what’s the point of signing Tarasenko if he’s just going to be in a bottom 6 role? The whole point of getting him would be to put up some big goals. I’d move Batherson down to Tarasenko’s line or put Tarasenko on the first line. Stutzle can feed Tarasenko. Just my 2 cents. The more Tarasenko scores the more you’re going to get from him at the deadline if you become sellers
Batherson is a much better player than Tarasenko at this point. You do raise a point about moving Tarasenko up to the first line though. The sens could be trying Giroux at center but he needs a guy with a good motor.

If the cap was managed properly and Pinto was playing (which he absolutely should be) i would have liked to see these lines tonight.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Smejkal Pinto Batherson
Kubalik Greig Tarasenko
Kelly Kastelic Joseph

Reactions: Emrasie

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
@bert it’s not DJ’s fault I agree but its his fault for terrible roster decisions.

We’re paying 5M for Tarasenko to play him with Chartier.

They could use Giroux as a C instead of being a one line team. They also said Batherson said he was open to playing LW.

Smejkal should also be up here and this trash fourth line should never see the ice together.

I honestly cant wait until they’re all gone.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When you have a C with the extensive injury history that Norris already has and a player who's had limited game action over the last 18 months, you'd best hedge your bets.

Instead, Dorion blew his cap space on our 3rd line RWer so instead of having a reasonable replacement in Pinto filling in, we have a rookie and career AHLer slotted to start the season.

As an esteemed former President would say, "Pierre Dorion is a low IQ individual".
Still does address the question I posed…. How is PD responsible for Norris not being in the line up?

Reactions: DueDiligence

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Same thing here with Tavares. It’s why there’s talk JT could be an elite 3rd line C because he just doesn’t have the speed anymore to keep up. I guess Tarasenko is similar in that way.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Paying Tarasenko 5M and making him play with Chartier. Dude must be thrilled.

I want DJ Smith to succeed but its like he wants to fail. This coaching’s staff lineup decision has always been awful.
Who says he plays the whole game with Chartier? And do you think he won't get his minutes because he's on the "third" line?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert it’s not DJ’s fault I agree but its his fault for terrible roster decisions.

They could use Giroux as a C instead of being a one line team. They also said Batherson said he was open to playing LW.

Smejkal should also be up here and this trash fourth line should never see the ice together.

The bolded is all due to cap mismanagement.

I dont agree about how terrible these lineup decisions are given what management has provided. Batherson and Tarasenko did not work in pre season. Both should be playing the position they are most comfortable in thats right wing.

Kubalik is more than capable of playing in a scoring role with Tarasenko he had a fantastic pre season. I think they are trying to even out the middle lines because they are on the road and dont have last change which in theory makes sense.

I dont know if Giroux has the motor to play center effectively anymore when they are maximizing him at wing with a dominant scoring line. DJ mentioned this I dont see why he would say it if its not something they identified.

The fact that they dont even have enough room to play Jarventie in the third line spot due to the cap is again Pierres fault.

Theres only one person to blame for this line up right now.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
DJ was asked about Giroux playing center. It isn't going to happen.

With Norris (shoulder) not yet ready to return to the lineup and Pinto still unsigned, would the Senators think about moving Giroux to the middle? Said Smith: “He hasn’t played centre in a long time. He could do it for a game or two. But I don’t think his interest is to do that. He’s done a really nice job where he is on the wing. If I need him, certainly he could do it, but at this point, we’ll keep him on the wing.”

Reactions: DrEasy

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Still does address the question I posed…. How is PD responsible for Norris not being in the line up?

He's not. But he's responsible for not having a contingency plan in place. Norris is out and Pinto isn't an option to fill in, nor is Jarventie. Rourke Chartier, a middle-of-the-road AHLer, is the guy they have to play.

Injuries are a part of the game. Every single GM in the league needs to think about and plan for how their team would navigate losing a key roster player. Except for Pierre Dorion, apparently.

He can say "well I never saw that coming" and go back to playing Solitaire on his tablet.

Reactions: Tuna99

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Tank's pay demands today cost him value on his next contract.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This is not DJ's fault the GM has put him in this position. Playing tarasenko in position is the right thing to do. Its not his fault Pierre cant manage the cap.

Batherson is a much better player than Tarasenko at this point. You do raise a point about moving Tarasenko up to the first line though. The sens could be trying Giroux at center but he needs a guy with a good motor.

If the cap was managed properly and Pinto was playing (which he absolutely should be) i would have liked to see these lines tonight.

Tkachuk Stutzle Giroux
Smejkal Pinto Batherson
Kubalik Greig Tarasenko
Kelly Kastelic Joseph

There is literally zero reason to not play Tarasenko in your top 6. Giroux or Batherson can easily play their off-wing to make space for a player like Tarasenko

What a joke

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL

DJ has no clue. If you actually want to keep talent you have to treat them better. Same BS last year not having DBC on PP1 to start the year.
FFS are you kidding me? still pandering to this undersized loser. In retrospect they never should have put him there he didnt earn it and wasnt giving an honest effort every game.

Its not DJ's fault that Dorion blew the cap situation so badly. If it was managed right he wouldnt be playing Tarasenko with Chartier. Thats on the GM that has pinto unsigned and Jarventie and Smejkal in the minors because they have no money.

There is literally zero reason to not play Tarasenko in your top 6. Giroux or Batherson can easily play their off-wing to make space for a player like Tarasenko

What a joke
So you didnt watch any pre season?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's not trying to pack on bodybuilding muscle or gain much weight, there's a reason that so few NHLers look like body builders

Nutrition and working out isn't something new to NHL players, and Grieg is undoubtedly following the Sens nutrition and workout program to a tee.

He is absolutely trying to get bigger and stronger... it's almost unanimous. Coaching staff, the player, and analysts all seem to agree he needs to get stronger and put on more weight to be effective playing his chippy game at the NHL level or he's going to get hurt alot.

Also, a lot of NHL players do look super muscular.

For every McDavid or malkin that can get by on raw talent while barely going to the gym (not saying they don't go to the gym but they could get by) there are 10 players that made it over their peers by having a Superior work ethic and determination.

You're not going to find super bulky guys because a lot of that bulk requires disallowed substances in the NHL. But you will notice that the hard working I players with a physical game are pretty jacked. Just using my team, go see a golf tournament with guys like Chris Neil and marc Methot and they're both huge. Saw Crosby and his legs were the size of elephant legs. These guys are massive and it pays for them to really bulk up their legs and core.

I remember seeing pictures of Alfie with no shirt and the guy is so muscular.

It would definitely pay for Greig to be over 200 pounds playing his style. If Alfie was playing at 205-215...

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

What a joke

What's funny is that Giroux has played lots on the left side before: Flyers captain Claude Giroux finding his rhythm at left wing

Tkachuk - Stützle - Tarasenko
Giroux - Greig - Batherson
Kubalik - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly - Chartier - MacEwen

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Who says he plays the whole game with Chartier? And do you think he won't get his minutes because he's on the "third" line?
Why even start the season on that note? Why not play him in the spot where he actually made a long career out of?
FFS are you kidding me? still pandering to this undersized loser. In retrospect they never should have put him there he didnt earn it and wasnt giving an honest effort every game.

Its not DJ's fault that Dorion blew the cap situation so badly. If it was managed right he wouldnt be playing Tarasenko with Chartier. Thats on the GM that has pinto unsigned and Jarventie and Smejkal in the minors because they have no money.

So you didnt watch any pre season?
Pre-season means jack to vets LOL.

Tarasenko is best used in the top 6 on the RW. Get him there. It would be as stupid as putting Giroux on the 3rd line to start the year last year

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's not. But he's responsible for not having a contingency plan in place. Norris is out and Pinto isn't an option to fill in, nor is Jarventie. Rourke Chartier, a middle-of-the-road AHLer, is the guy they have to play.

Injuries are a part of the game. Every single GM in the league needs to think about and plan for how their team would navigate losing a key roster player. Except for Pierre Dorion, apparently.

He can say "well I never saw that coming" and go back to playing Solitaire on his tablet.
There is a simple fix here, make space for Pinto… it’s a matter of time, as they seem to be in the same ballpark money wise… someone has to be removed from the roster…and that could happen any day

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He is absolutely trying to get bigger and stronger... it's almost unanimous. Coaching staff, the player, and analysts all seem to agree he needs to get stronger and put on more weight to be effective playing his chippy game at the NHL level or he's going to get hurt alot.

Also, a lot of NHL players do look super muscular.

For every McDavid or malkin that can get by on raw talent while barely going to the gym (not saying they don't go to the gym but they could get by) there are 10 players that made it over their peers by having a Superior work ethic and determination.

You're not going to find super bulky guys because a lot of that bulk requires disallowed substances in the NHL. But you will notice that the hard working I players with a physical game are pretty jacked. Just using my team, go see a golf tournament with guys like Chris Neil and marc Methot and they're both huge. Saw Crosby and his legs were the size of elephant legs. These guys are massive and it pays for them to really bulk up their legs and core.

I remember seeing pictures of Alfie with no shirt and the guy is so muscular.

It would definitely pay for Greig to be over 200 pounds playing his style. If Alfie was playing at 205-215...
Alfie wasn’t even in Ottawa at Greig’s age.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Reactions: Rodzilla

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why even start the season on that note? Why not play him in the spot where he actually made a long career out of?

Pre-season means jack to vets LOL.

Tarasenko is best used in the top 6 on the RW. Get him there. It would be as stupid as putting Giroux on the 3rd line to start the year last year
For a new player coming to a new team or experimenting if Batherson can play on his offside which he has never done it certainly does mean something. Thats why its there for those types of reps and experiments. They tried it, it didnt work.

They are playing on the road they will role three lines, this distinction on HF that everyone thinks there is a designated top 6 is nonsense. This isnt NHL23. Kubalik is better than anyone on Bathersons line. So maybe with your defined line status's tarasenko is playing in the top 6.

What's funny is that Giroux has played lots on the left side before: Flyers captain Claude Giroux finding his rhythm at left wing

Tkachuk - Stützle - Tarasenko
Giroux - Greig - Batherson
Kubalik - Kastelic - Joseph
Kelly - Chartier - MacEwen
I bet they go with something like this when they are at home and have last change.

They tried Tarasenko on the right with Stutzle in two games it was ok but nothing like the chemistry he has with Giroux. Stutzle-Giroux is the best chemistry any two forwards has on this team. I get why DJ doesnt want to break it up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
For a new player coming to a new team or experimenting if Batherson can play on his offside which he has never done it certainly does mean something. Thats why its there for those types of reps and experiments. They tried it, it didnt work.

They are playing on the road they will role three lines, this distinction on HF that everyone thinks there is a designated top 6 is nonsense. This isnt NHL23
You can't 'roll' 3 equally. I heard this last year about having two strong PP units only for everyone to quickly realize that PP1 will also have the best opportunity and more time.

You aren't rolling out Chartier for the similar amount of time you are rolling out Stuztle.

not having Tarasenko in the top 6 literally make zero sense. Have your best weapons in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad