News Article: Sens Hire Matt Nichol Director of player Health and Performance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Seems like a great hire.

Anyone know if he's an expert on shoulder injuries? Asking for a friend.

Does your friend live between Josh Norris' elbow and neck? If so, I know the same guy and he asked me the same question

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Unreal hire for the organization. He is regarded as the gold standard for training and nutrition. Andlauer with another home run.
What "gold standard" are you referring to? Are there no other people who have the highest level of knowledge, experience and education in this area?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Rather than just writing “well respected” without knowing who he is.(like we are seeing with some here)

Did a bit of reading up on him. Seems like a solid hire and smart as well by selling off on bio steel right before bankruptcy

• Haha
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No idea about him but it's a step in the right direction regardless.

The fact many are singing his praises is a bonus.

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Unreal hire for the organization. He is regarded as the gold standard for training and nutrition. Andlauer with another home run.
What’s he been doing since 2009?
Oh..Biosteel cofounder.

“On Nichol's website, Senators president of hockey operations Steve Staios says in a testimonial that he worked with Nichol for 11 years as a player, adding, "I can say with 100 per cent confidence that Matt Nichol was the greatest influence on my professional hockey career!"

BioSteel filed for bankruptcy on Sept. 14.”

Last edited:

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
So, I've been posting for years about organizational rot and how the terrible leadership can be felt from top to bottom. About how spending to the cap is the bare minimum an owner can do to build a quality team.

The lack of a person (and department) like this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. We now have ownership that understands that there has to be a holistic approach to success. It's not just about cap spending. It's about having the best front office, the best coaching, and in this case the best high performance department. I think this organization is truly in great hands under Andlauer.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Great add. Director of Player Health and Performance is an interesting title. Wonder if team doctors and medical personnel report to him. That group was, from an outside POV, not adding as much value to our player personnel over the last number of years. A new voice is a good thing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have no idea who he is. But...I definitely like the idea of hiring someone for the health side of things. We've had one hell of a lot of devastating injuries over the years (I know, something like the ankle stomp is a freak thing you can't avoid), and we're noticeably fatigued during second periods with the looong change.

Hopefully having a pro working with the guys on the nutritional and body health side of things might help. You know, knowing which areas of the body to develop strength (*cough* shoulders *cough*), how to exercise and stretch properly to get a bit more resilience when hit...stuff like that. I'm sure we've had some trainers and staff doing that before as one of many duties (it is a pro team, after all), but having a guy specializing in it should bring more focus to certain weaknesses and turn them into a strength.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Exciting news!

It's no secret that Melnyk was toxic ran a very lean front office.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Great add. Director of Player Health and Performance is an interesting title. Wonder if team doctors and medical personnel report to him. That group was, from an outside POV, not adding as much value to our player personnel over the last number of years. A new voice is a good thing.
No, doc Chow isn’t going to report to strength and conditioning coach. Trainers likely will though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad