GDT: Sens @ Habs 23 Jan, 7:00 TSN5

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Still a lot of a puck watching in the defensive zone. Not engaging, no active sticks, no effort. Much better now, but still not on the same level of the good teams. Boston is not overly talented and even less then Ottawa. But they play the game the right away with absolute intensity. If you do not match their defensive game and effort, you are doomed. Tkachuk is the worst offender. I am not sure what has to be done with that guy, doing shit for defence. Tarasenko the first time engaged the guy and blew the Habs defenseman at the end of the game. For Tkachuk it has to be a routine job. But it is not. So frustrating to watch.

Reactions: LiseL and Sting

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Still a lot of a puck watching in the defensive zone. Not engaging, no active sticks, no effort. Much better now, but still not on the same level of the good teams. Boston is not overly talented and even less then Ottawa. But they play the game the right away with absolute intensity. If you do not match their defensive game and effort, you are doomed. Tkachuk is the worst offender. I am not sure what has to be done with that guy, doing shit for defence. Tarasenko the first time engaged the guy and blew the Habs defenseman at the end of the game. For Tkachuk it has to be a routine job. But it is not. So frustrating to watch.
? I saw a lot of active sticks last night that broke up plays and passes in our own zone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Bit of a wobble to start the 3rd, returning to bad ways. After the TV timeout, they reset and stuck with the program. And another win.

They have realized and matured, and they are starting to understand what it takes to win. This year might be the best thing to happen to this core

Reactions: LiseL and Relapsing

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Bit of a wobble to start the 3rd, returning to bad ways. After the TV timeout, they reset and stuck with the program. And another win.

They have realized and matured, and they are starting to understand what it takes to win. This year might be the best thing to happen to this core
Hopefully Martin stays on for a couple more years.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Hopefully Martin stays on for a couple more years.

Nobody seems the think it will be more than this year. In one way, he is in a great position to be the bad man that bruises egos and tells them they are not playing right, and what they have to do and take the brunt of the resentment. Next year the new coach still requires that style of play but is not the very, very bad man :)

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Never thought I’d see my Sens owner sitting front row glass in the Montreal rink standing and applauding a good team win with a black turtle neck on a Monday night - Andlauer is a killer.

Rizpeck
As a former part owner of Montreal, he had season tickets. Broadcast team mentioned it was the last time he'd be using those seats. Otherwise he would've been in the booth with Bowness and SS.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
As a former part owner of Montreal, he had season tickets. Broadcast team mentioned it was the last time he'd be using those seats. Otherwise he would've been in the booth with Bowness and SS.
During the day I have heard, he will sit here with Goef Molson. Wonder what happened

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sometimes you watch this team and think it's real close, other times you watch and you shake your head.

Sens scored first. 26th time they've done that. It's statistically defiant to score first as frequently as we do yet post our W/L record.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Sometimes you watch this team and think it's real close, other times you watch and you shake your head.

Sens scored first. 26th time they've done that. It's statistically defiant to score first as frequently as we do yet post our W/L record.
I think they're getting their mojo a bit here and hopefully we see more consistency. You'd see it in spurts under DJ, but not sustained. Will be interesting to see if this keeps up. The record is improving, but 3 of the games I've found most encouraging were actually losses. Edmonton, Colorado and Winnipeg were competitive games against 3 of the best teams in the league, in and around the current improved record of late. I really believe this team is turning the corner. Even Korpisalo looks rejuvenated.

Reactions: DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think they're getting their mojo a bit here and hopefully we see more consistency. You'd see it in spurts under DJ, but not sustained. Will be interesting to see if this keeps up. The record is improving, but 3 of the games I've found most encouraging were actually losses. Edmonton, Colorado and Winnipeg were competitive games against 3 of the best teams in the league, in and around the current improved record of late. I really believe this team is turning the corner. Even Korpisalo looks rejuvenated.
I'm no goalie, but I imagine with more structure, Korpi is more comfortable knowing where the other players will be, who they'll be covering, etc. In the past, I think he was trying to cover all the angles as he wouldn't know where the next turnover would occur, who would stop a cross-ice pass, where the next shot would come from, if his players would either screen him/re-direct shots or have them go in off of them. It must have been mentally exhausting and affected his confidence as well resulting in some weak goals. Now he can focus on improving his game more (positioning, not going down too early, being big in the crease). I think his play will continue improving under JM and the new goalie coach. Doesn't hurt that we also just added a very defensively responsible forward to the line-up (Pinto).

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm no goalie, but I imagine with more structure, Korpi is more comfortable knowing where the other players will be, who they'll be covering, etc. In the past, I think he was trying to cover all the angles as he wouldn't know where the next turnover would occur, who would stop a cross-ice pass, where the next shot would come from, if his players would either screen him/re-direct shots or have them go in off of them. It must have been mentally exhausting and affected his confidence as well resulting in some weak goals. Now he can focus on improving his game more (positioning, not going down too early, being big in the crease). I think his play will continue improving under JM and the new goalie coach. Doesn't hurt that we also just added a very defensively responsible forward to the line-up (Pinto).
Yes, I think that all makes a lot of sense. I haven't loved Korpi's game, but it's hard to deny that the poor numbers don't seem to be isolated to him. I also think we'll see him level out here as the team continues to improve.

And I almost named Pinto as a factor. Hard to deny he's had an impact. I didn't go there since the improved play started before he came back, but he's clearly been a big contributor in the 2 games so far. Chabot too. I know he gets hammered here, but I think he's skating well.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
There were a couple of times last night where I legit said Wow out loud whenever Sanderson did something out of this world. I seriously can’t believe we have him for 8 years. The dude is a cheat code with that skating.

I have never seen Tkachuk make so many great defensive plays in his own end before, he had a couple of blocked shots and amazing 2nd efforts on the boards and at the point. Amazing turn around if he keeps this up.

Greig, what can be said that hasn’t already been said about Jesus. He is the chosen one. Dude is producing at a similar rate as Norris & Pinto rookie years, and he’s doing it with no PP time.

Chabot impressed me with the physicality lately, but that pairing still tends to have brain farts here and there due to positioning and both not being a natural RD.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
There were a couple of times last night where I legit said Wow out loud whenever Sanderson did something out of this world. I seriously can’t believe we have him for 8 years. The dude is a cheat code with that skating....
Just a pleasure to watch play. It was time to change my user name - started as KarlSen, then ChabotSen when he came up, now upgraded to SanderSen :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00