Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Caps, 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not so sure I buy that. In 10 years has there ever been one bad word spoken about Ovie by anyone associated with the team? Former players (like Brouwer) ripped other guys on the team (like Semin) on their way out so you figure by now there would have been at least some negative musings about Ovie from former teammates, coaches, or management, but I'm not really aware of anything.

Not parting shots, no. But as the ship was sinking they all started to call out the stars or "country club" atmosphere. A lot of it comes from post-game comments rather than post-firing tirades. Hanlon regretted not making Ovie more defensively responsible by way of PKing. Ovie was benched by BB and Ovie responded poorly to that. There was often talk about the players not doing what they were supposed to do, especially from Oates. Some talked about culture and made indirect references to lazy stars or players not taking things seriously enough. They all began pointing fingers toward the end.

I imagine a nice severance package then stops all such complaints.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Trotz is never wrong in own his eyes

And that’s why he will be gone sooner rather than later

How do you expect our team to lead themselves if their own coach is a terrible example of a leader?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's what I do, m8. I read people all day. People tell a lot more about what they think and mean with inflection, body language, implication, omission, and so forth than the actual text of what they say.

Doesn't mean you're right. Anyway...Trotz may want to blame some players, but being honest about Ovy and his lack of chemistry issues in his career doesn't feel like an attack today, to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I still look back to his comments in the offseason downplaying and basically laughing at the notion that the players take their postseason failures to heart. It shows a huge disconnect between him and the players.

I’m not the biggest proponent of intangibles as many of you know, but that seems like a fundamentally broken relationship.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not so sure I buy that. In 10 years has there ever been one bad word spoken about Ovie by anyone associated with the team? Former players (like Brouwer) ripped other guys on the team (like Semin) on their way out so you figure by now there would have been at least some negative musings about Ovie from former teammates, coaches, or management, but I'm not really aware of anything.

I've seen comments like "on the ice, Ovy is all in".....does that mean off the ice he's not? Time will tell.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I still look back to his comments in the offseason downplaying and basically laughing at the notion that the players take their postseason failures to heart. It shows a huge disconnect between him and the players.

I’m not the biggest proponent of intangibles as many of you know, but that seems like a fundamentally broken relationship.

Where are those comments? I've seen ones where he talks about postseason hangovers...which would lead me to believe he DOES believe that players take the losses to heart. Seems like a direct conflict.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Trotz is correct in saying what he said. I don't agree with much else that he says, but on this, he's right. Ovechkin is so set in his ways, that by now, he is what he is. He does not lead by example, he doesn't make sacrifices for the team, he doesn't give 100%. You want a 'hot take'? Last month at practice, when Trotz had his stopwatch out with Ovechkin skating in the neutral zone, it was to prove how much slower he is skating back to our own end, than skating into the offensive end. This is the problem when you make someone the face of the franchise, the captain, the focal point of the team that isn't capable of success, and isn't held accountable for failure. He's a great goal scorer, just not a leader.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Trotz is correct in saying what he said. I don't agree with much else that he says, but on this, he's right. Ovechkin is so set in his ways, that by now, he is what he is. He does not lead by example, he doesn't make sacrifices for the team, he doesn't give 100%. You want a 'hot take'? Last month at practice, when Trotz had his stopwatch out with Ovechkin skating in the neutral zone, it was to prove how much slower he is skating back to our own end, than skating into the offensive end. This is the problem when you make someone the face of the franchise, the captain, the focal point of the team that isn't capable of success, and isn't held accountable for failure. He's a great goal scorer, just not a leader.

Trotz didn't say any of that... what are you smoking.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Afghan kush.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This is a team! Instead of aiming at one player what's his excuse for the rest of the team sucking?
Everyone looks like shit. Are they all difficult to work with? What about the Preds? Were all of them difficult too? They got better when they got a coach that's not from the Cretaceous Period.

This game will be super uncomfortable. I'll be watching of course. :m-tongue:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This is a team! Instead of aiming at one player what's his excuse for the rest of the team sucking?
Everyone looks like ****. Are they all difficult to work with? What about the Preds? Were all of them difficult too? They got better when they got a coach that's not from the Cretaceous Period.

This game will be super uncomfortable. I'll be watching of course. :m-tongue:

I don't agree with everything you said but your way of saying things makes me laugh. Cretaceous Period :laugh:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'd love to be able to pick Justin Williams' brain regarding his time in Washington. He's been on enough Cup-quality teams that I feel he, more than anyone, would be the most honest about what goes on in this team's locker room.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'd love to be able to pick Justin Williams' brain regarding his time in Washington. He's been on enough Cup-quality teams that I feel he, more than anyone, would be the most honest about what goes on in this team's locker room.

Things have changed a lot since Williams' departure. I'm not sure if his view of the team is still relevant.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He was on the team when his view was most relevant (when they were actual Cup contenders).

Sure, but he isn't here now that the team is falling apart. The mood of a .500 team is probably a lot different than the mood of a President's Trophy winning team. How would he know about the team's current state?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Things have changed a lot since Williams' departure. I'm not sure if his view of the team is still relevant.
I think people looking too much into the quote made by Trotz. He isn't throwing Ovi under the bus at all. He is stating a fact. Just saying its hard for players to get chemistry with him. Having said that, then why isn't he reuniting him with Backstrom since those 2 did have a lot if chemistry. Might help both players get out of slumps.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think people looking too much into the quote made by Trotz. He isn't throwing Ovi under the bus at all. He is stating a fact. Just saying its hard for players to get chemistry with him. Having said that, then why isn't he reuniting him with Backstrom since those 2 did have a lot if chemistry. Might help both players get out of slumps.

You said it yourself. He doesn't want to reunite them and he refuses to justify why he won't do it. "Because I feel like it." isn't a proper answer. A few days later, he explains how Ovi is a difficult player to play with. There is something behind these quotes.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Sure, but he isn't here now that the team is falling apart. The mood of a .500 team is probably a lot different than the mood of a President's Trophy winning team. How would he know about the team's current state?

What I mean is that I don't really care that much about knowing why they suck right now, since it's not that hard to see why: a lot of their best players are past their prime and they don't have any depth to make up for that fact.

I want to know why they suck when it matters most.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What do people think "throwing under the bus" means? It doesn't mean "lying". It can be telling the truth. The things we say are not always wise or without ulterior motive simply because they're true.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What do people think "throwing under the bus" means? It doesn't mean "lying". It can be telling the truth. The things we say are not always wise or without ulterior motive simply because they're true.

And telling the truth isn’t always throwing someone under the bus, sometimes it’s just being honest.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And telling the truth isn’t always throwing someone under the bus, sometimes it’s just being honest.

IMO responding to questions about a struggling team by calling players difficult, discussing their playing history including international tournaments, and saying they're hard to find chemistry with is a pretty negative thing to say. IMO that's throwing a guy under the bus. Even if he deserves the criticism, as a coach you're offering up your player instead of taking responsibility as the leader. And given that the player in question is the Captain, it's almost like leader-on-leader violence lol.

Great leaders take ownership even when someone under them screws up. They don't undermine the trust and confidence of their charges by publicly criticizing them ...unless that leader is SO respected as a warrior in the trenches that he can do so and still retain that respect, AND he's almost 100% certain that's the only way to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille