Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #7

Who is the Sens #7 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023

1- Ridly Greig 70.2% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #1)
2- Tyler Kleven 78.7 % (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #2)
3- Zack Ostapchuk 41.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #3)
4- Mads Søgaard 47.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #4)
5- Leevi Merilainen 32.3% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #5)
6- Jacob Bernard-Docker 37.9% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #6)
7-
8-
9-
10-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2022 (who are still in the organization) :

Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto, Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly

To be added :

Filip Nordberg
Kevin Mandolese
Tomas Hamara
Hoyt Stanley
Matthew Andonovski
Owen Beckner
Vladimir Nikitin
Nicholas VanTassell
Nikolas Matinpalo
Oliver Johansson
Cole Reinhardt
Cameron O'Neill
Kevin Reidler
Tyson Dyck
Theo Wallberg

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Jarventie is 5 months older than Tyler Boucher... I see an ocean of difference between the 2 but yet they are probably going to end up #7 and #8 here...

How is that possible? We have no prospects in between? I'm going Oskar Pettersson next round

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jarventie is 5 months older than Tyler Boucher... I see an ocean of difference between the 2 but yet they are probably going to end up #7 and #8 here...

How is that possible? We have no prospects in between? I'm going Oskar Pettersson next round

You'd think HF would value upside over safety, so JBD at 6 and Boucher at 7/8 is surprising.

You can find JBDs on waivers every year, and Boucher just had the worst 18/19 year old development seasons from a top 10 pick since McIlrath (and that's arguable).

If they are the best prospects beyond the top 5, the pool is in serious trouble. Jarventie and Pettersson are better IMO.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The difference between Jarventie & Boucher IMO is that Boucher has more of the physical attributes & mean streak that can be used on any line whereas Jarventie seems too timid to me although he does have the skillset. Jarventie kind of reminds me of Logan Brown who also had the skillset, but not the drive or determination. We'll see this yr in Belleville if Jarventie can play a more aggressive game & we'll also see if Boucher can add more offence to his game at the pro level.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Petterson should be 4
I agree, so I'll share the people laughing at you.

He doesn't have the high potential / low floor like Jarventie, but I believe Petterson is 4th because he's very likely to become a solid bottom 6 forward for the Sens. He's the Swedish Ostapchuk.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You'd think HF would value upside over safety, so JBD at 6 and Boucher at 7/8 is surprising.

Well, that's not how I voted, so there you go. I put more of a premium on likelihood of playing regularly in the NHL.

Jarventie does nothing for the Senators if he never establishes himself as NHL player, ceiling or not.

Granted, I still voted for him in this poll.

If they are the best prospects beyond the top 5, the pool is in serious trouble. Jarventie and Pettersson are better IMO.

Depending on what criteria you value more, it's going to skew.

I just see a laundry list of attributes that we are supposed to take into account.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well, that's not how I voted, so there you go. I put more of a premium on likelihood of playing regularly in the NHL.

Jarventie does nothing for the Senators if he never establishes himself as NHL player, ceiling or not.

Granted, I still voted for him in this poll.

Depending on what criteria you value more, it's going to skew.

I just see a laundry list of attributes that we are supposed to take into account.
I'd say the pool is generally meh .. outside the top 3 (goalies aside)
Not all that serious. How many people have watched Pettersson out side a few WJC games .. I don't think people are missing the next top line player in theit rankings .. its almost at will they have some form of career in the NHL. Max Guenette probably has as good a chance as any of these guys on the board.
Pettersson is a nice prospect with 3rd line tools / size potential but he has to play higher level hockey and produce there

Zero point in dissecting it too much.

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Pettersson truthers! We out here.

Tyler Boucher is getting votes based on draft position. He should be behind Pettersson, Jarventie, and Donovan at the very least.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Next up... I like these players more than the others

Max Guenette. I think he will push for a spot more next year than this year. I like his length, his mobility and his 2 way D game.
Stephen Halliday. A late bloomer with an intriguing size and skill combo. He has really good hands and vision and can put points up. Looking forward to watching him this year.
Oskar Pettersson. NHL size , Plays an NHL style game. Good shot . More of an old school style winger. Responsible. Good compete.
Jorion Donovan. Not sure what else they want from him in the OHL. We can expect him to dominate the O this year. PMD. Too bad he's not a righty for the Sens but one of our best true prospects.

Not even looking at Boucher till these guys are gone. I think its fair to reevaluate him after this year. Projects to be a good hard hitting bottom of the lineup winger at the NHL level. Lost a lot of games in the past 3 years.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Max Guenette. I think he will push for a spot more next year than this year. I like his length, his mobility and his 2 way D game.
Stephen Halliday. A late bloomer with an intriguing size and skill combo. He has really good hands and vision and can put points up. Looking forward to watching him this year.
Oskar Pettersson. NHL size , Plays an NHL style game. Good shot . More of an old school style winger. Responsible. Good compete.
Jorion Donovan. Not sure what else they want from him in the OHL. We can expect him to dominate the O this year. PMD. Too bad he's not a righty for the Sens but one of our best true prospects.

Not even looking at Boucher till these guys are gone. I think its fair to reevaluate him after this year. Projects to be a good hard hitting bottom of the lineup winger at the NHL level. Lost a lot of games in the past 3 years.

This. They are clearly better prospects than Boucher right now... Boucher will need to have an intriguing season to climb back in these rankings.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Good Post & I agree with most of this. I've seen both Boucher at the development camp last yr when he was healthy & this yr but he didn't participate because he was recovering from should surgery. I've also seen Oskar Petersson at the development camp last yr & this yr, they are both interesting prospects, but I have to say that Boucher impressed me more last yr, maybe because he was so much bigger, tougher & had such a great wrist shot whenever he lets it go. He was also playing with Greig & Ostapchuk a lot last yr & they were fun to watch.

Petersson seems to be well rounded & good at everything, he doesn't stand out much because he isn't a flashy player, you have to look for him, but when you do find him you can see he does all the little things right, all the things coaches like, he is more cerebral & looks for his spots. I don't think he will drive a line, but he will certainly complement any line skill wise, but lacks Boucher's toughness, physical play & hitting ability something a lot of coaches like too. Boucher is a bull out there while Petersson is craftier, yet both possess a pretty good skill level. I see both as 3rd line players with different but equal potential who could both move up in the lineup when needed. Petersson is a yr younger which may be why he is playing another yr in Sweden which should help his development further, but I would have liked to see them both in Belleville this yr.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good Post & I agree with most of this. I've seen both Boucher at the development camp last yr when he was healthy & this yr but he didn't participate because he was recovering from should surgery. I've also seen Oskar Petersson at the development camp last yr & this yr, they are both interesting prospects, but I have to say that Boucher impressed me more last yr, maybe because he was so much bigger, tougher & had such a great wrist shot whenever he lets it go. He was also playing with Greig & Ostapchuk a lot last yr & they were fun to watch.

Petersson seems to be well rounded & good at everything, he doesn't stand out much because he isn't a flashy player, you have to look for him, but when you do find him you can see he does all the little things right, all the things coaches like, he is more cerebral & looks for his spots. I don't think he will drive a line, but he will certainly complement any line skill wise, but lacks Boucher's toughness, physical play & hitting ability something a lot of coaches like too. Boucher is a bull out there while Petersson is craftier, yet both possess a pretty good skill level. I see both as 3rd line players with different but equal potential who could both move up in the lineup when needed. Petersson is a yr younger which may be why he is playing another yr in Sweden which should help his development further, but I would have liked to see them both in Belleville this yr.
Appreciate the feedback I knew you saw both players . Pettersson has to have a regular productive role in the SHL this season and Boucher has to show something in Belleville. If either fails to do that the question marks get bigger. Definitely short sample size I would think Boucher could leave a bigger impression with his physicality. I think Pettersson may be lower event but his complete game and his size can be attractive for those bottom 6 callups.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad