Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #4

Who is the Sens #4 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023

1- Ridly Greig 70.2% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #1)
2- Tyler Kleven 78.7 % (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #2)
3- Zack Ostapchuk 41.7% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #3)
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2022 (who are still in the organization) :

Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto, Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly

To be added :

Filip Nordberg
Kevin Mandolese
Tomas Hamara
Hoyt Stanley
Matthew Andonovski
Owen Beckner
Vladimir Nikitin
Nicholas VanTassell
Nikolas Matinpalo
Oliver Johansson
Cole Reinhardt
Cameron O'Neill
Kevin Reidler
Tyson Dyck
Theo Wallberg

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

Last edited:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
This is where it drops off considerably.

I'm fairly certain the 1st 3 guys will become regular NHLers.

From here down, uncertainty.

Goalies are voodoo, Either of Leevi or Mads could become a good NHL goalie, or never become a regular NHL goalie.

I voted Oscar Petterson, as he has a decent shot to become an NHL regular, I'd say.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
imma go with Jarventie. He's slowly cooking and might be a late bloomer for us like Hoffman. Jarventie is 20 years old, is slowly improving in all aspects of his game in Belleville and with his development curve, I think he'll show flashes of being able to play in the top 6 near the end of the upcoming season

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
imma go with Jarventie. He's slowly cooking and might be a late bloomer for us like Hoffman. Jarventie is 20 years old, is slowly improving in all aspects of his game in Belleville and with his development curve, I think he'll show flashes of being able to play in the top 6 near the end of the upcoming season

Yeah I think Jarventie is being overlooked because he's been in the AHL "for so long" but in reality last year was his 20 y/o season (he turns 21 just in August)

In what is a rookie season for others, he scored 16 goals, 30 pts in 40 AHL games (translates to 33 goals, 62 pts in 82 games) and had quite the WJC

If his overall game at the NHL level was not a bit of a question mark, he'd be regarded as a top prospect. But this is something that also improved quite well last season

There's a lot of potential in Sogaard but goalies take a long time and don't have the same value as skaters. JBD and Jarventie should be voted before our goalie prospects IMO.

Reactions: bicboi64

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah I think Jarventie is being overlooked because he's been in the AHL "for so long" but in reality last year was his 20 y/o season (he turns 21 just in August)

In what is a rookie season for others, he scored 16 goals, 30 pts in 40 AHL games (translates to 33 goals, 62 pts in 82 games) and had quite the WJC

If his overall game at the NHL level was not a bit of a question mark, he'd be regarded as a top prospect. But this is something that also improved quite well last season

There's a lot of potential in Sogaard but goalies take a long time and don't have the same value as skaters. JBD and Jarventie should be voted before our goalie prospects IMO.
You convinced me, so I voted Jarventie.

• Love
Reactions: Xspyrit

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If JBD is supposed to be our #7 D (and maybe player higher up at times) on the big club THIS YEAR, you'd hope he would be cracking one of the top spots. Dorion seemed to think he was still in the plans last I heard him speak about. Yet, at the same time, he seems to be slipping off the radar screen. I'm not promoting him, just noting the anomaly.

Got to have the same kind of thinking and hope for the two goalies in our system as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If JBD is supposed to be our #7 D (and maybe player higher up at times) on the big club THIS YEAR, you'd hope he would be cracking one of the top spots. Dorion seemed to think he was still in the plans last I heard him speak about. Yet, at the same time, he seems to be slipping off the radar screen. I'm not promoting him, just noting the anomaly.

Got to have the same kind of thinking and hope for the two goalies in our system as well.
He's very vanilla and his top end potential is probably limited to a 4/5 guy so he'll never rise very high in rankings like this.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's very vanilla and his top end potential is probably limited to a 4/5 guy so he'll never rise very high in rankings like this.
Sure, he is not flashy in any way or a tank-like, physical type defender, but I guess I don't understand the premise or criteria being applied in this exercise, not that it matters a hoot. I guess it's being affected perhaps by recency bias and flash versus who is likely to graduate to NHL duty or semi-regular NHL duty. Again, it doesn't matter really.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Having watched both in action, Leevi is much much bette.

Could not dissagree more. From a technical standpoint Soogard is way better. moves better. More controlled and technically sound. His worst game is way way way better than Merilainens. Their best games are pretty comparable.

Gotta really hope he hits considering who got picked around him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm backing away from the goalies.
I went Vanilla lol with JBD. He's closest to carving out a spot. So many of the other guys could get where JBD is now and could fall short. Some may project to have more upside but they need to get to a point where they are called up and they show they can play there which JBD has done.

By next year this can change. If Guenette takes another step he'll be ready to fight for and take that #6 3rd pair RD spot.

Also quite a few guys there I have not seen a lot of ; like Donovan who could jump in and impress. Pettersson I have not watched enough of outside the WJC.

Lets put it this way... No one (F &D) really jumps off the page at this point

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have not seen any fire nor vinegar in him. Another Filatov?

Could not dissagree more. From a technical standpoint Soogard is way better. moves better. More controlled and technically sound. His worst game is way way way better than Merilainens. Their best games are pretty comparable.

Where have I heard that before?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sure, he is not flashy in any way or a tank-like, physical type defender, but I guess I don't understand the premise or criteria being applied in this exercise, not that it matters a hoot. I guess it's being affected perhaps by recency bias and flash versus who is likely to graduate to NHL duty or semi-regular NHL duty. Again, it doesn't matter really.

Just simplify and think who would you go BPA (best player available) if it was an internal draft

Don't overthink if the guy fits the team needs short or long term or if he's going to be ready sooner than others, just who is going to be better at hockey, who would have the best NHL career (individually, without predicting injuries of course)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I voted Merilainen but the real dark horse on the board is Oskar Petersen. Was impressed with his game at the WJC - could be a good NHL player

Reactions: aragorn

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Watched him a lot on the Fronts, he never let in a break away, penalty shot or shoot out. 1 on 1 he was unbelievable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Watched him a lot on the Fronts, he never let in a break away, penalty shot or shoot out. 1 on 1 he was unbelievable.
Most of Merilainens exposure has been in North America. Where he's been pretty bad. I assume you most have watched his games in Finland? When he was in the OHL he got scored on alot in about every way possible. His WJC wasn't very good either. I'll admit those are the games I have watched him in. Then I saw him play two NHL games he was hot in one but the second he was putrid and all the same easy goals were going in. He simply has to be better technically in North American pro hockey or he won't last.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Most of Merilainens exposure has been in North America. Where he's been pretty bad. I assume you most have watched his games in Finland? When he was in the OHL he got scored on alot in about every way possible. His WJC wasn't very good either. I'll admit those are the games I have watched him in. Then I saw him play two NHL games he was hot in one but the second he was putrid and all the same easy goals were going in. He simply has to be better technically in North American pro hockey or he won't last.
Watched him in the O. He was on a very bad team lol. That's why Shane didn't want to come back. That and he hates the coach.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Watched him in the O. He was on a very bad team lol. That's why Shane didn't want to come back. That and he hates the coach.
Maybe they were not great because of the starting goalie and the first line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad