Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #3

Who is the Sens #3 Prospect at the moment?

• Lassi Thomson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roby Jarventie

• Oskar Pettersson

• Angus Crookshank

• Jorian Donovan

• Maxence Guénette

• Tyler Boucher

• Philippe Daoust

• Donovan Sebrango

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023

1- Ridly Greig 70.2% (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #1)
2- Tyler Kleven 78.7 % (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2023 #2)
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o).

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, shot quality, leadership qualities, size/strength, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA among these players?

Try to do some research on these kids, particularly the most recent ones. People are free to post links and videos about some of the prospects that should be voted soon, or even try to persuade others why a guy should be voted next! Spread info to help people vote.

Graduated players from 2022 (who are still in the organization) :

Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto, Mark Kastelic and Parker Kelly

To be added :

Filip Nordberg
Kevin Mandolese
Tomas Hamara
Hoyt Stanley
Matthew Andonovski
Owen Beckner
Vladimir Nikitin
Nicholas VanTassell
Nikolas Matinpalo
Oliver Johansson
Cole Reinhardt
Cameron O'Neill
Kevin Reidler
Tyson Dyck
Theo Wallberg

Also, leaving the link of pre-2017 polls if anyone wants to bookmark the page

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Sogaard next for me. The first two separate themselves. The next five are basically interchangeable. Interesting mix.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'd go either JBD or Sogaard. If it isn't those 2 in the #3 & #4 slots (I don't care about the exact order), I think were in a bit of trouble from a prospect perspective.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
They need to put all their resources into Sogaard development. Going to hurt us hard if he doesn't get better

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ostapchuk, Klevin and Sogaard are the top 3. I’ll go Ostapchuk here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Again a close choice for me. I've gone back and forth ..settled on Ostapchuk. Sogaard is knocking on the door but will have to wait for injuries. Merilainen will push him in Belleville.. Flipped a coin.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm a little down on Soogard. Too many high glove goals last year where he didn't even move to catch the puck.

Merilainen looks like the better prospect to me.
Most goalies dont even make the NHL until they are 25+. Soogard has tons of raw ability. He's a better prospect than Merilainen, he moves way better he is bigger.

Soogard is probably the best prospect the sens have if they all reach their potential. Just hard to predict goalies because most of it is between the ears. He has alot of raw talent though.

They need to put all their resources into Sogaard development. Going to hurt us hard if he doesn't get better
Why on earth would he be finished developing?

He's 22 and has played 85 total pro games in this life.

Reactions: SENStastic

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Mads Sogaard is a potential #1G (ceiling). Floor is that of a back up goalie.

Ostapchuk is a bottom 6 winger, but more in the ilk and value of a prime Zack Smith or Nick Paul.

I like Sogaard's potential better. Voted for him.

Reactions: SENStastic

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm going to say JBD, because he's so close to being a a full time NHLer imo.

He has the potential to solidify himself as our 3RD who can step up in the top 4 in a shutdown role. He's not flashy, but does all the little things right. Having him break out helps us out long term.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Most goalies dont even make the NHL until they are 25+. Soogard has tons of raw ability. He's a better prospect than Merilainen, he moves way better he is bigger.

Soogard is probably the best prospect the sens have if they all reach their potential. Just hard to predict goalies because most of it is between the ears. He has alot of raw talent though.

Not disagreeing that Soogard is the best goalie prospect in the system and should be acknowledged as such by the fanbase and management.

However, let's not underestimate Leevi. He's actually 1 year and 8 months younger than Soogard and has consistently performed since being drafted. He has had the privilege of working with top-level goalie coaches, and he has already demonstrated an elite glovehand at the NHL level.

Goalies are incredibly difficult to predict. Some break into the league when they're close to 30, while others taken in the 7th round become legendary players, while top draft picks sometimes have average careers. All I'm saying is that it's entirely plausible for Leevi to surpass Soogard and emerge as the preferred choice.

---
@Xspyrit I think #3 should get a tie breaker poll between Soogard and Ostaphcuk because Merilainen splitting some of the goalie love.

Reactions: Victorias

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
@Xspyrit I think #3 should get a tie breaker poll between Soogard and Ostaphcuk because Merilainen splitting some of the goalie love.

I have to respect the procedure and wait until the poll ends.

• This poll will close: Tomorrow at 7:48 PM.

So we'll see if there is no clear winner in 24 hours, in that case there will be a tie breaker poll. IIRC, e only started doing this when it was tied so even if a guy has 1 more vote, he wins the poll. We just don't get enough voters to be picky

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not disagreeing that Soogard is the best goalie prospect in the system and should be acknowledged as such by the fanbase and management.

However, let's not underestimate Leevi. He's actually 1 year and 8 months younger than Soogard and has consistently performed since being drafted. He has had the privilege of working with top-level goalie coaches, and he has already demonstrated an elite glovehand at the NHL level.

Goalies are incredibly difficult to predict. Some break into the league when they're close to 30, while others taken in the 7th round become legendary players, while top draft picks sometimes have average careers. All I'm saying is that it's entirely plausible for Leevi to surpass Soogard and emerge as the preferred choice.

---
I mean he definitely has not consistently performed after being drafted he was terrible in the ohl and WJC.

I am calling it as I see it he doesn't move as well, is much smaller. There isn't close to the same amount of raw talent. I don't think it's overly hard to identify. He got absolutely lit up when he played last year in the NHL. As a goalie that was similar size the functionality in movement and calmness in net that Gustavsson had was night and day compared to merlainen. Simply a much more talented goalie. He really just hasn't been good in north America so unless you have been watching him overseas I don't know how you can come to the conclusion he is good at all. It's quite clearly atat watching. Reminds me of the posters who say Tatar is a very good defensive player then post his chart as proof.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I mean he definitely has not consistently performed after being drafted he was terrible in the ohl and WJC.

I am calling it as I see it he doesn't move as well, is much smaller. There isn't close to the same amount of raw talent. I don't think it's overly hard to identify. He got absolutely lit up when he played last year in the NHL. As a goalie that was similar size the functionality in movement and calmness in net that Gustavsson had was night and day compared to merlainen. Simply a much more talented goalie. He really just hasn't been good in north America so unless you have been watching him overseas I don't know how you can come to the conclusion he is good at all. It's quite clearly atat watching. Reminds me of the posters who say Tatar is a very good defensive player then post his chart as proof.

Your dismissing his age. Gustavsson didn’t play his first few nhl games until 4 seasons after being drafted Leevi was 20 years old and had a heck of a first game before coming back to earth.

For his first season on North American ice in the OHL he was the starter and led his club in save percentage I don’t think that’s bad by any means. Of course I am stat watching but time will tell I think the stats are telling a good story right now

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Your dismissing his age. Gustavsson didn’t play his first few nhl games until 4 seasons after being drafted Leevi was 20 years old and had a heck of a first game before coming back to earth.

For his first season on North American ice in the OHL he was the starter and led his club in save percentage I don’t think that’s bad by any means. Of course I am stat watching but time will tell I think the stats are telling a good story right now
You need to watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad